PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze Network Won' t Play Shoutcast

mzpro5
2005-12-23, 09:59
I have run into a very irritating problem when using Squeezenetwork. When trying to listen to any stations on Shoutcast through Squeezenetwork it seems like the station goes through the play cycle but no the station is actually not playing, no sound - no bar level output graph. In order to get it to work I have to connect to my Slimserver play a Shoutcast station get out of slim server and go back to Squeezenetwork and try it again. sometimes the Shoutcast stations work sometimes not, it's a total crapshoot.

This started happening about two weeks ago, when I first got the Squeeze Box it worked great but now I am tired of all the fooling around I have to go through to get it to play.

kevin
2005-12-23, 15:35
Is this player associated with a Squeezenetwork account? (i.e. have you used the pin number and created a login on www.squeezenetwork.com?)

mzpro5
2005-12-25, 07:36
Didn't know I had to register anyting to use the Squeeze Network? It seems to work fine if I play Shoutcast stations through Slim Server, problem is only when I try Squeeze network.

I did go to the Squeeze Network site and created an account and registered my Squeezebox with the PIN. I'll see if that improves things.

Thanks for the insight kevin.

mzpro5
2005-12-25, 14:04
This is really getting to ba a hassle. I went thru the process of resgitering and setting up my Squeezebox for SqueezeNetwork. Worked fine but after turning it off and then coming back several hours later AGAIN no SHOUTCAST stations will play via SqueezeNetwork. Then when you check the PIN the Squeezebox has a totally different PIN what is the deal?

What is going on and are the people at SlimDevices selling us a bill of goods? It is great WHEN it works but is very unreliable and I can never be sure if it is going to work.

Is it possible to get someone to answer my concerns/problems?

Dan Sully
2005-12-27, 18:11
* mzpro5 shaped the electrons to say...

>This is really getting to ba a hassle. I went thru the process of
>resgitering and setting up my Squeezebox for SqueezeNetwork. Worked
>fine but after turning it off and then coming back several hours later
>AGAIN no SHOUTCAST stations will play via SqueezeNetwork. Then when you
>check the PIN the Squeezebox has a totally different PIN what is the
>deal?

I am looking at this issue right now. Could you expand on the symptoms of 'Not playing' ?

Does the station end up in your Now Playing list?

Is there a station (or a number of them) which this is repeatable on?

Thanks.

-D
--
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

mzpro5
2005-12-28, 06:11
It happens with all SHOUTCAST stations. When you connect to Squeezenetwork and you follow the sequence "Internet Radio>Shoutcast>any station" it then says "Connecting to play" returns to the station ID but no sound level graph is showing and no music is playing.

Thanks glad someone is starting to look into this.

mecouc
2006-01-07, 07:06
I have the same problem. Shoutcast is ok from Slimserver, and other stations are ok on squeezenetwork, but there's no Shoutcast on Squeezenetwork. If I 'right arrow' on any shoutcast station, it says 'unknown' for url, and title and no. of listeners are blank. When I try to play at that point it says that it can't connect to 'unknown' - I'll check the exact message later if I remember.

I have a SB3, with a nightly download & firmware from yesterday.

Mark
2006-01-21, 08:32
I have the same problem and have added a comment bug #2465 posted by mzpro5. I am extremely frustrated by this issue, I makes browsing Shoutcast stations using "All Streams" unusuable. I thought it was being addressed while SqueezeNetwork was being upgraded, but there has been no improvement.

Can you provide any outlook as to when this will be fixed and/or a workaround (besides using SlimServer).

Thanks,

Mark

frwilliam
2006-01-31, 17:28
Not only do Shoutcast stations fail to play through the squeezenetwork, every time I try to connect to one, my squeezebox locks up. I then have to disconnect and reconnect power for it to operate.
This was working fine until about a week ago, say Jan 24. I've had the SB v3 since November and never had a problem until then. RadioIO and live365 work fine and there are no issues when going through the SlimServer.
Is anyone addressing this? Did something change recently such as a port setting? I registered my pin on squeezenetwork, updated my firmware, and still no luck. I need to have this functionality return.

andyg
2006-01-31, 18:48
frwilliam wrote:
> Not only do Shoutcast stations fail to play through the squeezenetwork,
> every time I try to connect to one, my squeezebox locks up. I then
> have to disconnect and reconnect power for it to operate.
> This was working fine until about a week ago, say Jan 24. I've had the
> SB v3 since November and never had a problem until then. RadioIO and
> live365 work fine and there are no issues when going through the
> SlimServer.
> Is anyone addressing this? Did something change recently such as a
> port setting? I registered my pin on squeezenetwork, updated my
> firmware, and still no luck. I need to have this functionality return.

We rolled out a minor fix for bug 2465 on 1/26, and I am currently able to play
Shoutcast stations just fine on SN. Can you list some steps to reproduce?

This was the bug that was fixed last week:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2465

Thanks,
-Andy

frwilliam
2006-02-02, 11:25
Playing shoutcast through SN is still a problem as of last night (2/1). The steps I go through are:
Logging into SN.
The results are the same regardless of how I try to connect (play from Favorites, Connect to Shoutcast and Browse Genres, etc).
After finding station and clicking 'Play' The URL comes up along with a 'Connecting to Play' message and then, the screen just freezes. No bar graph or spectrum or sound. A soft restart doesn't even function, only power cycle will recover from this state.

andyg
2006-02-02, 11:40
frwilliam wrote:
> Playing shoutcast through SN is still a problem as of last night (2/1).
> The steps I go through are:
> Logging into SN.
> The results are the same regardless of how I try to connect (play from
> Favorites, Connect to Shoutcast and Browse Genres, etc).
> After finding station and clicking 'Play' The URL comes up along with a
> 'Connecting to Play' message and then, the screen just freezes. No bar
> graph or spectrum or sound. A soft restart doesn't even function, only
> power cycle will recover from this state.

Is it a particular station or any station that does this?

frwilliam
2006-02-02, 20:56
It is all shoutcast stations.

andyg
2006-02-02, 21:08
frwilliam wrote:
> It is all shoutcast stations.

Is anyone else having this problem? I have no problems playing any Shoutcast
streams via SN.

-Andy

macintoys.nl
2006-02-09, 14:19
One of our customers can't play shoutcast when the Slimserver is inactive (Slimserver started: no problem) . After the minor fix for bug 2465 on 1/26, we were able to play on our player, but he stil cannot. (including a freeze)
He is also not able to play a w4u podcast!

Thanks,
Wim

andyg
2006-02-09, 14:36
macintoys.nl wrote:
> One of our customers can't play shoutcast when the Slimserver is
> inactive (Slimserver started: no problem) . After the minor fix for bug
> 2465 on 1/26, we were able to play on our player, but he stil cannot.
> (including a freeze)
> He is also not able to play a w4u podcast!

Please test again, there have been several important fixes to SqueezeNetwork today.

frwilliam
2006-02-11, 15:27
It's certainly fine now! As of 2/9, there are no more problems freezing up while attempting to play shoutcast stations through SN. Thanks for resolving this.

rendes
2006-03-01, 14:24
Does anybody know which software release includes this bug fix? I'm having the same problem and have updated my device to firmware version 35, using the latest (mar-01-2006) build of 6.2.x - SlimServer_v2006-03-01.exe.

andyg
2006-03-01, 14:32
The bug in question was only related to SqueezeNetwork, so it shouldn't matter what your local versions of SlimServer and firmware are. Are you still having problems with Shoutcast stations on SN?

rendes
2006-03-01, 15:16
The bug in question was only related to SqueezeNetwork, so it shouldn't matter what your local versions of SlimServer and firmware are. Are you still having problems with Shoutcast stations on SN?

yep! it's been quite frustrating; I woke up this morning, seeing my squeezebox asking me to hold the 'brightness' key to update the firmware, and so I did - thinking that it'd make things better; well, after the update, shoutcast via SN doesn't work at all; I've been spending all day trying to fix this problem by installing many different versions of the firmware, even upgrading to the latest 6.5 beta release - nothing helped.

please advise.

andyg
2006-03-01, 15:26
Yes there does seem to be something wrong with Shoutcast, we're looking into it.

Dan Sully
2006-03-01, 16:24
* rendes shaped the electrons to say...

>yep! it's been quite frustrating; I woke up this morning, seeing my
>squeezebox asking me to hold the 'brightness' key to update the
>firmware, and so I did - thinking that it'd make things better; well,
>after the update, shoutcast via SN doesn't work at all; I've been
>spending all day trying to fix this problem by installing many
>different versions of the firmware, even upgrading to the latest 6.5
>beta release - nothing helped.

I've just fixed the Shoutcast bug - everything should be up and working agin.

-D
--
<iNoah> kernel's original recipe: 11 secret args and switches

rendes
2006-03-01, 20:53
I've just fixed the Shoutcast bug - everything should be up and working agin.

confirmed - shoutcast is working again; thank you.