PDA

View Full Version : SB3 and Linkstation - my dream almost realised

jonathan
2005-12-23, 03:26
My SB3 - without doubt my best purchase for years, with possible exception of my seemingly dated IPod which gathers dust as I no longer live in Central London.

What an all-round pleasure the SB3 is proving, albeit my family concerned with my obsessional transportation of armloads of CDs out of the living room (as for all those broken bits of plastic casing...)

And strangely I'm leaving my PC on 24 hours, Slimserver ticking away on the impossibility that someone other than myself grabs the new remote downstairs. Strange because, when looking for a wi-fi music player, I was determined for a solution which excludes my power-hungry PC.

Hence the Linkstation, still in its box. On reflection, not sure that its cost outweighs the PC power bill, though it's another piece of kit with another set of flashing lights to have on my flight deck, and I'd enjoy migrating my recently re-ripped lossless files from the PC.

Except now I'm not so sure. I've read several reviews and followed threads about using NAS devices and associated cumbersome installs, poor performance, updates of Slimserver etc. And with never having used Linux, the Slimserver install is daunting even with seven pages of detailed instructions.

So do I proceed down my ideal power-saving Linkstation route, or do I return it for a refund? My feeling is that I'll ultimately be disappointed and relunctantly revert to using my power-hungry PC with numerous trips upstairs to start-up and shut-down.

Any advice before the stores close for Christmas?

Robin Bowes
2005-12-23, 04:17
jonathan said the following on 23/12/2005 10:26:
> Hence the Linkstation, still in its box. On reflection, not sure that
> its cost outweighs the PC power bill, though it's another piece of kit
> with another set of flashing lights to have on my flight deck, and I'd
> enjoy migrating my recently re-ripped lossless files from the PC.
>
> Except now I'm not so sure. I've read several reviews and followed
> threads about using NAS devices and associated cumbersome installs,
> poor performance, updates of Slimserver etc. And with never having used
> Linux, the Slimserver install is daunting even with seven pages of
> detailed instructions.
>
> So do I proceed down my ideal power-saving Linkstation route, or do I
> return it for a refund? My feeling is that I'll ultimately be
> disappointed and relunctantly revert to using my power-hungry PC with
> numerous trips upstairs to start-up and shut-down.
>
> Any advice before the stores close for Christmas?

Jonathan,

I've just done an install remotely for a client in Canada (I'm in the
UK) and I was impressed with the performance (I was skeptical about the
performance in only 64M RAM).

There was only one gotcha I ran into - you can't use wma3 lossles on the
mipsel Linkstation - the SB doesn't support it and there's no
mplayer/ffmpeg availabe for the mips platform that can decode wma3.

If you'd like me to install slimserver on your linkstation remotely then
drop me a note off-list.

Cheers,

R.

gjrhine
2005-12-23, 09:03
You could always set your PC to shut itself down at a pre-determined time.

biggles
2005-12-23, 09:43
I'm using the open-source version of Linkstation, the Kurobox, with my Squeezebox and I cannot think of a single thing that would disappoint you with this kind of setup. Performance is good (266Mhz PPC and 128MB RAM version, 7000 songs) and it is absolutly quiet. It consumes about 15W operating and just a few watts when the harddrive is sleeping. Give it a try! I'll buy yours if you not are satisfied! ;-)

And setup-wise: It is not that hard. I didn't have that much Linux experiance, but with the help off different communities it was pretty manageble to install it.