PDA

View Full Version : Have SlimServer installed on Server 2003

skeeech
2005-12-23, 00:26
I have slimServer installed and it has scanned all my music files. When I try to stream the music from one PC to another on the network everything looks like it should be working, but it doesn't seem to actually be streaming anything. The playlist is complete, the firewall on the server, router and receiving PC are all punched for the the requested TCP and UDP ports. What am I missing? I have tried it with and without password protection. I am running 6.2.1 of slimserver and have tried connecting with Mac OSX 10.4 and Windows XP Pro SP2. I'm sure it is something simple that I am overlooking. This is my first time trying to stream music.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

mherger
2005-12-23, 00:48
> I have slimServer installed and it has scanned all my music files. When
> I try to stream teh music from one PC to another on the network
> everything looks like it should be working but it doesn't seem to
> actually be streaming anything.

What client software are you using? Did you try SoftSqueeze?

> The playlist is complete, the firewall

You mean you added some songs to the playlist?

> on teh server, router and receiving PC are all punched for the the
> requested TCP and UDP ports. What am I missing?

The sound? :-)

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

skeeech
2005-12-23, 01:21
OK so I rebooted the server and tried it again with slightly different results. I am using IE as my client on XP machine. localhost gets me to the album listing of my collection. I can create all sorts of playlists and it actually looks like it is streaming, but I have to key in localhost and add "stream.htm" in my browser, it pulls up a quicktime window and starts streaming the selected song. It wont seem to move to the next track in the playlist. Making progress.

ceejay
2005-12-23, 01:51
OK so I rebooted the server and tried it again with slightly different results. I am using IE as my client on XP machine. localhost gets me to the album listing of my collection. I can create all sorts of playlists and it actually looks like it is streaming, but I have to key in localhost and add "stream.htm" in my browser, it pulls up a quicktime window and starts streaming the selected song. It wont seem to move to the next track in the playlist. Making progress.

I could be wrong here, but I think you are missing something... slimserver needs a player to stream to. IE, being a browser, is not what it is looking for. On the remote (not the server) machine you need soemthing like softsqueeze (if you wish to emulate a squeezebox) or winamp (if you just want to play music).

Ceejay

skeeech
2005-12-23, 11:32
Thank you all for your help. I had pulled down the softsqueeze client and set it on the server side. Once I did as Ceejay suggested, I have streaming working within my network. My next step will be to get it working on my laptop at work.

It was weird that is tried to work within the browser using quicktime. that one track at a time would get old really quickly though. I also tried streaming it to itunes without much luck. I'll try to tweak that over the holidays.