PDA

View Full Version : Network Hard Drive Set-Up

essbee1964
2005-12-22, 13:03
I have spent ages trying to set this up with no success. I have moved all my music files to an ethernet hard drive which plugs directly into my router. As expected Slimserver could not access the N: drive (N:\ is not a valid drive etc.). I followed the FAQ on Windows Services... created password on the laptop, created a logon using the same password in Windows Services under my name (also tried Administrator) but Slimserver refuses to scan the folder. The N: drive is seen by Windows and the music on N: can be played through the laptop via iTunes.

Can anyone help? I would like to use iTunes if possible (the xml file is on the C: drive), but that is not a priority...I just want sweet music again.

Cheers

Shaun

bishopdonmiguel
2005-12-22, 15:25
> Can anyone help?

Are you running SlimServer as a service or interactively?

JJZolx
2005-12-22, 17:25
I have spent ages trying to set this up with no success. I have moved all my music files to an ethernet hard drive which plugs directly into my router. As expected Slimserver could not access the N: drive (N:\ is not a valid drive etc.). I followed the FAQ on Windows Services... created password on the laptop, created a logon using the same password in Windows Services under my name (also tried Administrator) but Slimserver refuses to scan the folder. The N: drive is seen by Windows and the music on N: can be played through the laptop via iTunes.

Can anyone help? I would like to use iTunes if possible (the xml file is on the C: drive), but that is not a priority...I just want sweet music again.
Running the service under a user account is just one of the things you may need to do.

The second is that you should use a UNC share name to designate the music folder in SlimServer instead of a mapped drive letter. Using drive letter mappings for services can be very tricky. Use a "\\ComputerName\ShareName" type of name instead. The ComputerName in this case will be the name given to your network hard drive.

Finally, if you get that far and still have no luck, then the last thing is to make sure that you have the appropriate permissions set. On some systems there will be effectively no security, but most have both share-level security and folder/file level security. Make sure that the security set at each level permits access for the user account under which SlimServer is running.

essbee1964
2005-12-22, 18:24
Thanks Guys,

I took your advice and did manage to get it up and running but have gone back to my wired hard drive as everything slowed to a crawl, it took ages to scan my library and the display scrolling was erratic. I might try again when I have more patience.

Shaun