PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 770 Skin

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

bklaas
2005-12-22, 11:55
I posted a Nokia770 skin for Slimservers 6.2 and 6.5 on my slimserver page, http://benklaas.com/slimserver/. The skin is optimized for the 770's 800x400 screen and looks pretty great on the device, a gadget I like more and more every day.

There are still some bugs to work out (be warned: the All Songs link on any browse page will play the entire library right now), but I wanted to get this out and solicit feedback before I take off for a few days doing holiday schtuff.

I started a discussion thread on the dev forum a few days ago as well...
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19303

As the skin matures, I plan on trying to get it folded into the slimserver distribution.

cheers and happy holidays,
#!/ben

Fifer
2005-12-22, 12:07
Cheers Ben, my 770 arrived a couple of days ago. I'll download your skin over the next couple of days and give it a try.

biomech
2005-12-22, 15:51
Can anyone get these tars to open on an XP machine? I'm using WinAce and I don't see any contents.

JJZolx
2005-12-22, 17:06
Can anyone get these tars to open on an XP machine? I'm using WinAce and I don't see any contents.
WinZip 8.1 tries, but chokes with an error reading the header.

macdaddy
2005-12-22, 17:23
II am not trying to hijack the thread, but thought you guys mmight help. I own a Roku Soundbridge. My computer is a Mac PPowerbook with Apple Airport Extreme as WIFI router. I have bbeen looking for a GUI remote control since buying the Roku. I ttried the Phillips RC9800i, but UPnP is just like Microsoft's pplug-and-play . . . it is actually "plug and pray". The 770 llooks like it could do what I wanted, so I bought one this wweek. It is awesome! Anyway, to my problem. When accessing mmy Roku via the slimserver web interface, music plays for 30 sseconds then hiccups for about 5-10 seconds. I assume this is aa buffering issue. However the internet radio works fine. I know the easy solution is to get a true Slim Device instead of tthis Roku, but I want to make sure it iisn't a Apple issue. Aany suggestions? Is the Roku iincompatible with slimserver
websurfing control or is my Mac iincompatible with slim? Sorry so long winded. Thanks in advance for your input.

danco
2005-12-23, 00:55
On 22/12/05 at 16:23 -0800, macdaddy wrote
>II am not trying to hijack the thread, but thought you guys mmight help.
>I own a Roku Soundbridge. My computer is a Mac PPowerbook with Apple
>Airport Extreme as WIFI router. I have bbeen looking for a GUI remote
>control since buying the Roku. I ttried the Phillips RC9800i, but UPnP
>is just like Microsoft's pplug-and-play . . . it is actually "plug and
>pray". The 770 llooks like it could do what I wanted, so I bought one
>this wweek. It is awesome! Anyway, to my problem. When accessing mmy
>Roku via the slimserver web interface, music plays for 30 sseconds then
>hiccups for about 5-10 seconds. I assume this is aa buffering issue.
>However the internet radio works fine. I know the easy solution is to
>get a true Slim Device instead of tthis Roku, but I want to make sure
>it iisn't a Apple issue. Aany suggestions? Is the Roku iincompatible
>with slimserver
>websurfing control or is my Mac iincompatible with slim? Sorry so long
>winded. Thanks in advance for your input.

You're not likely to get much help with Roku here, as there is
neither interest nor knowledge.

SlimServer comes with SoftSqueeze, and you could try out what happens
with that to help diagnose the prob;em.

--
Daniel Cohen

Fifer
2005-12-23, 04:32
I think I remember reading somewhere that the Roku only 'works' with an older release of Slimserver.

Fifer
2005-12-23, 08:33
Ah... does this mean I can't use it?

Richie
2005-12-23, 08:39
> > Can anyone get these tars to open on an XP machine? I'm using WinAce and
> > I don't see any contents.
> Ah... does this mean I can't use it?

They download fine here. Using Firefox and WinRAR.

Richard

macdaddy
2005-12-23, 23:01
You're not likely to get much help with Roku here, as there is
neither interest nor knowledge.

SlimServer comes with SoftSqueeze, and you could try out what happens
with that to help diagnose the prob;em.

--
Daniel Cohen

No interest or knowledge in Mac either? I would get Slim device if I knew the problem was a Roku issue & not a Mac issue. I don't want to buy Slim device only to have same problem. Thx in advance for your input.

Man this 770 is S W E E T!

Victor Brilon
2005-12-24, 00:49
On Dec 24, 2005, at 12:01 AM, macdaddy wrote:

>
> No interest or knowledge in Mac either? I would get Slim device if I
> knew the problem was a Roku issue & not a Mac issue. I don't want to
> buy Slim device only to have same problem. Thx in advance for your
> input.
>
> Man this 770 is S W E E T!

I've been running various Slim devices (since the first one) on an OS
X box (panther, and now on tiger). Works just perfect. And yeah, the
770 is sweet :)

Victor

davep
2005-12-24, 02:47
I'm interested in the 770 as a general web and mail device around the house and, of course as the potential primary remote for the SB3. Can anybody who has used it in these circumstances comment on speed of getting into the network from standby? I am presuming that if you pick it up from 'cold' and want to get into the slimserver to start playing something it takes a short time to log onto your home network and load the :9000 page, etc before you can do anything.

davep

macdaddy
2005-12-24, 09:25
I pretty much leave my 770 in standby & don't turn it off. On the main screen (or desktop) there is an icon which can be assigned a web shortcut. I have assigned my slimserver address as shortcut w/jpeg of slim device as icon.

When I tap screen to wake from standby = 1 second
Accessing slimserver from shortcut = 4-5 seconds

So in total about 5-6 seconds. However I am using the standard "Touch" skin & not the modified one mentioned in this thread.

macdaddy
2005-12-24, 09:32
I've been running various Slim devices (since the first one) on an OS
X box (panther, and now on tiger). Works just perfect. And yeah, the
770 is sweet :)

Victor

Thanks Victor. If I have configuration issues, are there many "iSlim" users out there I can count on to provide help in the threads?

jz1
2005-12-25, 18:32
I had the same problem trying to download the skin onto XP. As suggested as a workaround elsewhere, I installed Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/firefox, which took about two minutes, and was able to download Ben's skin. I didn't have anything to unzip it with, but downloaded the free unzip utility from http://www.pkware.com/home_and_small_office/downloads/windows/reader/.

The unzipped file contains a "Nokia770" directory with files and sub-directories. This is my first effort downloading a skin, but after much trial and error I put the directory structure in \Program Files\SlimServer\server\HTML and was able to access it within SlimServer on my 770 by pointing my browser to "http://[localhost]:9000/Nokia770". What Ben has done so far is absolutely terrific - this will be my sole SB interface on my 770.

I agree with Ben that the 770 is super cool as a handheld SB controller. Because it is so versatile, it blows away the Sonos (at least for my needs), which I almost bought before finding these boards. (I chuckled when I read Ben's comment several nights ago about being "geeked out" by his 770, but am happily owning my own geekness now.)

Ben, I'll offer some specific comments about the skin once I use it some more. In the meantime, can anyone tell me how to download SoftSqueeze onto my 770? I've gotten as far as figuring out that I need to install Java first, but have not figured out how to do that yet.

bklaas
2005-12-25, 21:44
thanks for the feedback so far, all. I just returned from a few days away for the holidays, and want to apologize for all the Windoze problems with the tar.gz archive. I thought most Win users would be using WinZip, and I thought a tar.gz would uncompress fine in that. I guess I figured wrong...at any rate, I'll make some zips of the skin in the morning and post them as well.

jz1--on softsqueeze on the 770...I would not recommend that. I haven't had good luck with softsqueeze on much more powerful linux desktops, so I don't think a streamlined linux handheld device is going to have the firepower. Also, not sure if Java is even ported to it yet.

Instead, I think you should favor the simple approach. Open the included audio player on the 770 and point it to http://yourmachine:9000/stream.mp3. Then go to the browser on the 770 and select the player to be your 770 (which should show up as your 770's IP address). You may have to do some back and forth with the browser and hitting play on the audio player before you get the stream going, but this does work, and as far as I can tell works quite well.

I'll post to this thread tomorrow after I get some zips online. Suggestions on the skin still very welcome. Let's keep the Roku talk elsewhere though, eh? ;)

#!/ben

Fifer
2005-12-26, 07:29
I've got it working. It looks really good.

bklaas
2005-12-26, 09:50
I made .zip files to accompany the .tar.gz archives. They are available at http://benklaas.com/slimserver/

FWIW, .tar.gz's uncompress with WinRar just fine for me. The .zip's are handled by WinXP natively.

After uncompressing, the Nokia770/ folder should be placed in the HTML subfolder of your slimserver installation. You can browse directly to slimserver using this skin by pointing your browser to http://yourmachinesIP:9000/Nokia770/.

I know I've caveated it before, but the skin is not perfect (yet). There are some kinks to work out and some enhancements to be made. However, if you have a 770 and want to see how a skin optimized for it looks, you want this.

cheers,
#!/ben

biomech
2005-12-26, 14:36
Thank you for the zip file. I am getting the following error when i click on the next track button on the Now Playing screen.

403 Forbidden: status.html

In order to request this URL from a Bookmark/Favorite, or some means other than following a link from the SlimServer web interface, you will need to use a URL with a \"cauth\" security parameter. If you received this error when following a link from the SlimServer web interface, you will want to make sure your web browser software (including proxy servers and spyware/privacy software) is allowing \"Referer\" headers to be sent. Below is the appropriate URL for the URL you attempted.

http://192.168.1.100:9000/Nokia770/status.html?p0=playlist&p1=jump&p2=%2b1&player=192.168.1.119;cauth=10405abcd193a55c83a90ac 515b60778

Because your CSRF protection level is set at 'MEDIUM', you can use the same ";cauth=" value for any URL; this means you should be more careful who you share your URLs with.

bklaas
2005-12-26, 16:07
biomech-- I have been unable to reproduce this. Could you provide a few other details?

OS that your Slimserver is running on
Version of Slimserver

I'm a Linux guy, and if I were to get a 403 error the first place I'd look would be file permissions, making sure that the status.html file had read permission for everyone. Sounds like you are in windows-land though...

I'm a bit confused...when I click on 'next' in the now playing window the URL I go to does not have a 'cauth' parameter. Kind of sounds like a server setting that you might have different than me. Does this ring a bell with anyone?

#!/ben

brothers
2005-12-26, 16:10
This is some sort of Opera (770 version) <-> SlimServer interaction - it happens in other skins than yours.

Nice job, BTW.

- Dennis Brothers

macdaddy
2005-12-26, 18:51
Instead, I think you should favor the simple approach. Open the included audio player on the 770 and point it to http://yourmachine:9000/stream.mp3. Then go to the browser on the 770 and select the player to be your 770 (which should show up as your 770's IP address). You may have to do some back and forth with the browser and hitting play on the audio player before you get the stream going, but this does work, and as far as I can tell works quite well.
#!/ben

Pretty nifty. I saw app to do this on internettablettalk.com, but this is better -- no need to modify w/xerm to reognize daap. Plus not,too much of a memory hog.

It won't play .aac files (even unprotected) but I think that is an issue w/770.

My browser on 770 refreshes every 10 seconds. Is this normal? A 770 issue? Or Mac issue?

Man! Who needs an iPod around the house when you can have 770 limited only by computer hard drive. Thanks a ton. Everyday I discover more to lke about 770 and sllimserver!

macdaddy
2005-12-26, 19:58
I changed the browser refresh from 30 seconds to 60 seconds and it seems to work better. I am using the version for 6.2 and there is no volume control. Ben, do you plan on adding this later? Thanks so much for sharing this skin and your other tips with us. I shared your streaming trick to the 770 on http://www.internettablettalk.com.

bklaas
2005-12-26, 21:05
macdaddy: there is volume control. go to the 'now playing' window (the musical note link at the top center). in the 4 boxes that are on the bottom of this page, you will find volume control in the upper right box.

internettablettalk.com seems to be the de-facto 770 site. I'll post something about the 770 skin and slimserver as things mature. Maybe we'll get some slimserver/squeezebox adoptees out of the growing 770 community.

cheers,
#!/ben

macdaddy
2005-12-26, 21:15
Ben:

I downloaded Nokia770Skin_for_slimserver6.2.tar from your website and installed it in the html folder for slimserver. For some reason on my skin the upper right box you talk about is only a straight black line. Other than that, everything else seems to work fine.

bklaas
2005-12-27, 06:36
Wow...I have no idea how that happened. I don't see that on my 6.2 interface. I figured maybe it was a player or server setting, but I poked around and couldn't find anything. Anyone else using the Nokia770 skin seeing the absent volume control behavior?

bklaas
2005-12-27, 06:38
unrelated Q for you macdaddy-- how did you get the screenshooter to take a shot of the fullscreen like that? I installed the screenshooter but when I select "take a screenshot" from the icon along the top menubar, it takes it without delay, which means I can't take fullscreen shots. Half the time it takes a screenshot with the bot that says "take a screenshot" still visible...

biomech
2005-12-27, 06:58
I see the missing volume controller problem when I use your skin to control a non squeezebox device like the 770. If I choose the squeezebox as my playback device, the volume control shows up.

Wow...I have no idea how that happened. I don't see that on my 6.2 interface. I figured maybe it was a player or server setting, but I poked around and couldn't find anything. Anyone else using the Nokia770 skin seeing the absent volume control behavior?

biomech
2005-12-27, 07:00
The latest version of the 770 memory/screen shot app supports delayed screenshots.

unrelated Q for you macdaddy-- how did you get the screenshooter to take a shot of the fullscreen like that? I installed the screenshooter but when I select "take a screenshot" from the icon along the top menubar, it takes it without delay, which means I can't take fullscreen shots. Half the time it takes a screenshot with the bot that says "take a screenshot" still visible...

macdaddy
2005-12-27, 07:09
Biomech is right that that this is due to controling the 770 instead of the slim device. Yet, even when I selected the slim device in my browser control window, the volume control still would not appear. When all else fails -- reboot. I did a reboot and everything works fine.

I do not know what version of the screen shoot app I have, but delay shot is an option. What a geek, I was a bit excited to finally get to use the screen shot app!

I do not have lame drivers on my Mac. Does anyone know if installing them will allow the 770 to play .aac files?

davidada
2005-12-27, 10:22
Hello , the new 770 skin looks great, one question how do you load /activate the ne wskin on the 770?

jackaninny
2005-12-27, 10:43
Hello , the new 770 skin looks great, one question how do you load /activate the ne wskin on the 770?

1) make sure you download the skin to the computer you have running slimserver and then install into the appropriate directories

2) on the 770 point the web browser to 'http://yourslimserveripaddresshere:9000/Nokia770/'

macdaddy
2005-12-28, 12:16
Ben:

I have been using the SlimServer 6.2 version of new skin for a few days now. It is great! Thanks for sharing.

I have a couple of suggestions.

First, have you considered to eliminate the "Search Music" icon from the Browse Music box on bottom half of the homepage? I think this is a duplicated command that also appears on top menu bar.

Second, have you considered making the skin a little bit bigger so it is easier to read? When I am running the skin, I generally run it in Full screen mode on my 770. Also, I turn off the Toolbar which frees up another 1/2" or so on bottom of screen. The toolbar can easily be turned off by going to "View" -- "Show toolbar" -- "Full screen" in your browser and making sure it has NO check. I leave the toolbar visible on Normal screen mode. I can toggle back & forth using the button on upper left top of 770. I don't know if anyone else has tried this but I don't want to see the toolbar as I want the 770 to serve as a glorified remote control when accessing the SlimServer. Thus, I have some free space on the bottom of the screen that could be used for more skin. I don't know if you can tell from the attached some screen shots (I wanted another excuse to use the screen capture utility), but there is plenty of extra space at the bottom without the toolbar visible.

These are just a couple of suggestions you may or may not have previously considered. The skin is fantastic and thanks again for sharing it with us.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-28, 12:29
I think I remember reading somewhere that the Roku only 'works' with an older release of Slimserver.
As I recall, the Roku isn't supported by Slim. To the extent that it works at all, I think it worked on 5.4 version of Slimserver. At least, that is what they show on the Roku site.

More informaton is here:
http://www.rokulabs.com/products/soundbridge/faq.php#slim

atlslim
2005-12-28, 12:50
Ben,

Great job w/ this skin for the 770. I've just started exploring the features available. I did notice that the refresh interval settings for the browser aren't working for me with this skin. Default and fishbone work. I have to do a manual refresh to update the 'now playing' window. Is this a skin-specific issue??

SlimServer Version: 6.2.2 - 5448 - Windows 2000 - EN - cp1252

macdaddy
2005-12-28, 14:01
Ben:

Another suggestion to add to my post 2 above, is to remove the back key on the top of the menu bar. This is duplicated by the HARD KEY backspace on the 770 just below the arrow keys. By elminating this soft backspace key and the search key as mentioned above, you will have a symmetrical quasi-matrix (4 across on top menu bar & 4 across on bottom Browse box).

Just a thought. Not trying to tell you what to do -- it is after all YOUR skin, but I thought you might want to consider a little "tweaking" ;-)

macdaddy

bklaas
2005-12-28, 15:05
Thanks for all of the suggestions, all!

atlslim-- on the refresh thing...I commented out the javascript that does the auto-refresh during my devlopment, and selectively neglected to put it back in. Eventually, I'll put it back in there, although my ideal fix is that instead of a full page refresh I can update page elements through an AJAX/DOM sorta thing.

I'll give a quick response to several of the comments/suggestions made on the thread--

Remove search icon on home page in favor of search in nav bar.

I sort of like search in the home page links section, but I see your point. I'll give it some thought. I don't think the Statistics icon has a lot of use either, and could easily be relegated to the links in the page footer (well, for that matter, Genre is more or less worthless for me and could go as well. I'm sure there are some OCD Slim-users out there that have scrubbed/standardized/organized their genre tags, but that's got to be the minority. Sorry, I digress)

Make skin easier to read.

absolutely, and thanks for the info on removing the toolbar in full-screen mode. I hadn't explored that fully, and I am sure happy for the extra screen real-estate.
there are definitely some css changes I want to make to increase readability on the skin. that's high on my to-do list.

Remove back key on top nav bar.

I can't get behind this one. I've found in testing/using this skin that I rely heavily on the back arrow icon on the nav bar, and while the HARD KEY does the same thing, I am not a fan of switching between stylus and button clicking. How come? I'm left-handed.

Mysterious disappearing volume controls.

weird stuff. I'll take a look at the skin and see if there's any reason that table of controls wouldn't render when pointed to a non squeezebox player.

Roku
don't care. good luck with your inferior product. ;)

thanks again for the suggestions--keep 'em coming! Sorry the dev process is a little slow, but since returning from holiday I've been (*gasp*) busy with my dev job that pays the bills...
#!/ben

bklaas
2005-12-28, 15:18
fwiw, my to-do "whiteboard" for this effort--
http://mcstayinskool.tadalist.com/lists/public/170297

cheers
#!/ben

macdaddy
2005-12-28, 17:08
Ben:

Glad to see that I was able to contribute w/ some creative input (as I could never create the skin myself -- I am not that technical.)

I agree w/ you about GENRE. I integrate that feature through playlist. STASTICS isn't that critical either (as long as it is somewhere in there).

It would probably be better if the skin had 2 - rows of 3 icons in bottom Browse section intead of the current 9. I think we have identified 3 we could cut (GENRE, STATISTICS, & SEARCH), but this is YOUR baby!

As for volume control, Biomech was right in that it only happens when using i770 to listen to tunes. Not that big of a deal. There is still volume control on 770. Don't waste your time on it.

Sorry for highjacking w/ Roku question. I started a separate thread (don't remember link offhand), but have no answers on LAME. Please direct any Roku input there.

Cheers,
macdaddy

brothers
2005-12-28, 17:25
Couple of things -

I would sorely miss genre (especially around Christmas time :)

As for the volume thing, I don't think you _can_ control it remotely on streaming devices (like the 770). If anybody ever does a SoftSqueeze for the 770, I'd expect the volume panel to show up again.

- Dennis Brothers

bklaas
2005-12-29, 08:51
Fair enough on Genre-- I'll leave it in there. I think the Home page is fairly clean already, so I don't have a burning need to delete things if people are using them.

the plan is-- relegate statistics link to the footer, leaving a 4x2 table of icons. I'm going to leave Search in there for now, even though it's redundant with the search icon on the top nav bar.

Thanks go to Dean @ Slimdevices for throwing this in the trunk right away so I can commit changes directly to the Slimserver codebase.

I'll post to this thread changes I check into the trunk.

cheers,
#!/ben

biomech
2005-12-29, 09:56
I'm loving your new skin and I agree, please do not remove the back button. I was building playlists on the fly last night and the back button is extremely useful. Keep up the good work.

>>Remove back key on top nav bar.

I can't get behind this one. I've found in testing/using this skin that I rely heavily on the back arrow icon on the nav bar, and while the HARD KEY does the same thing, I am not a fan of switching between stylus and button clicking. How come? I'm left-handed.

bklaas
2005-12-29, 10:06
thanks, Biomech.

I'm getting setup with a devel environment today to make checkins directly to the slimserver trunk.

FYI--in the course of doing that, I decided it makes little sense to my sanity to develop on both 6.2 and 6.5 branches, so I'm only going to work only on the release branch, 6.2. If you are using 6.5, feel free to download the 6.5 skin from my website, previously posted in this thread. When 6.5 comes down the pipe in 2006 I will port up the work that I've done in 6.2.

cheers,
#!/ben

Michaelwagner
2005-12-29, 10:17
Hi Ben:

Haven't you got that backwards? Isn't 6.2 for bug fixes and 6.5 for new features?

Michael

macdaddy
2005-12-29, 11:48
Ben:

I am glad you are concentrating on 6.2 as I am a Mac user. I can't wait to see the modifications!

bklaas
2005-12-29, 12:33
Hi Ben:

Haven't you got that backwards? Isn't 6.2 for bug fixes and 6.5 for new features?

Michael

nope. I'll try to explain my thinking:
On the advice of others, I originally wrote the skin for 6.5. The dev forum folks tell me is not slated for release until March-ish.

Somewhat painfully, I back-ported the skin to 6.2. There are a lot of differences between the skin API on 6.2 vs. 6.5.

I considered supporting both branches moving forward, but it would be a royal pain to do that. Considering I'm hoping to have some fun with this effort, I threw out the idea of supporting both until 6.5 comes out.

Most folks are on 6.2 right now, including me, so that's what I'm supporting. In essence, I'm acting like 6.5 doesn't exist right now. I'll transition to 6.5 when it comes out.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2005-12-29, 14:15
checked in a bunch of changes today

-- progress bar on now playing page
-- javascript refresh on now playing page is reactivated
-- icon links in browse artwork page
-- statistics icon gone, added link for statistics in page footer
-- table layout fixes for better rendering on the 770

the really fun additions i have dreamt up are still to come, but I think these changes make the skin "release quality"

cheers,
#!/ben

netim3
2005-12-29, 14:45
I was using the handheld skin on an iPaq to browse a library of about 800 albums. When I browsed by artwork (with say 30 albums per page & scrolling through them) the iPaq would run out of memory and choke pretty quickly. How many album covers display nicely on the 770 screen, does the skin support scrolling through covers, and what does the device handle comfortably?

thanks

Natan

macdaddy
2005-12-29, 17:06
Ben:

Where is the updated skin? I could not find it. Or do we have to wait 24 hours until the nightly whatever it is they do at slim devices?

Thx,
macdaddy

bklaas
2005-12-29, 18:06
I believe you either wait for the nightly or you do a checkout directly from subversion.

Probably better to wait for the nightly if you aren't familiar with svn, but here's the slimWiki on it--
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Subversion

davep
2005-12-29, 18:35
Ben,
I know you probably don't need a bunch of people throwing their pet requests at you for the skin design when you are trying to freeze it, but here goes anyway :)

One thing that seems to be missing from the latest version I have seen is any way to access the Random Pay feature. This is something I use quite a lot and would be a great addition to the 770 skin for those times when you want the server to surprise you with its choices.

The second change which you might want to consider is putting the player selection drop down box in the top menu bar so that you can see which player you are acting on at all times. I find that my system defaults to one player (out of my 4 SBs) and if I go to, say, browse artist, find something I want to hear and hit Play I cannot be sure which SB it will go to. Having the player selection box visible at all times would allow the user to select and check the destination before hitting play.

Davep

Michaelwagner
2005-12-29, 18:54
the Random Pay feature.
Where do I apply to be on the receiving end of this feature?

davep
2005-12-29, 19:50
Funny, isn't it - I had to read your post about 5 times to get your point. No coffee yet this morning I guess...

davep

Michaelwagner
2005-12-29, 20:02
Where are you that you're thinking about morning coffee? It's almost 10PM here.

MrC
2005-12-29, 20:10
Ben,

Very nice skin!

There are a number of HTML errors. It might be worth running it through Firefox's HTML Validator extension. It will show you all the errors.

Thanks again.

davep
2005-12-29, 20:23
Where are you that you're thinking about morning coffee? It's almost 10PM here.
Hong Kong - it is 11:00 am here (and STILL no coffee)

davep

bklaas
2005-12-29, 21:18
comments on the comments...

html errors-- yep, I noticed that too. I added a "w3c compliance" list item to my to-do's. The Touch skin, while nice, wasn't the cleanest html in the world, and Nokia770 is based on it. It'll take me a while to clean up the crud. This is very much worth doing though, because I've found that Opera is a lot testier than Firefox about non-compliant html.

random mix-- added to my list. I'll also probably add pages/links for 'favorites' and 'new music'.

player selection box in the top nav-- absolutely. that's been on my mind as well. on my list.

thanks for the comments. keep 'em coming.
cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2005-12-29, 21:24
one question to throw back at y'all--

macdaddy earlier in this thread suggested I modify the skin to make use of some more horizontal pixels that can be gained in full-screen mode if you select from the browser view->toolbar->(uncheck) fullscreen.

I'm kind of conflicted about this...I too want to be able to have as much screen as possible, but the 'remove toolbar from fullscreen' option is not sticky. That is, you need to manually uncheck it every time you open the browser to have this work. What do you think? Should I layout the html to use the extra screen space for when the toolbar is hidden? Obviously, you can always scroll, but my intention was to make many of the heavily used pages (home, now playing) not require any scrolling.

This may seem like a trivial thing, but it has a big impact on how I layout the html, size cover thumbnails, etc.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2005-12-29, 22:34
I'd like to add 'Random Mix' to the home page, and I need an icon, similar to the others found on the top level page. Anyone with artistic ability beyond my 2nd-grade level want to give it a shot? Some kind of image that's fitting for 'random'. My only idea was a deck of cards being shuffled, but there is no way I could produce something like that...

cheers,
#!/ben

davep
2005-12-30, 02:42
I'd like to add 'Random Mix' to the home page, and I need an icon, similar to the others found on the top level page. Anyone with artistic ability beyond my 2nd-grade level want to give it a shot? Some kind of image that's fitting for 'random'. My only idea was a deck of cards being shuffled, but there is no way I could produce something like that...

Cards being shuffled might be good for another function that could be added also (here we go, bloat looms) which is the shuffle setting. I realise that I do actually use this quite a bit in normal operations.

For the random function, a pair of dice would be my suggestion - the attached is a (very) rough concept - just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it.

davep

davep
2005-12-30, 02:51

Should I layout the html to use the extra screen space for when the toolbar is hidden? Obviously, you can always scroll, but my intention was to make many of the heavily used pages (home, now playing) not require any scrolling.

My vote would be not to use this space as default. I think the need to reset the screen layout to fullscreen mode every time you open the browser could get to be a PITA. And having no need to scroll in the main pages is a real plus for me.

Just my $0.02.

davep

Fifer
2005-12-30, 03:57

macdaddy earlier in this thread suggested I modify the skin to make use of some more horizontal pixels that can be gained in full-screen mode if you select from the browser view->toolbar->(uncheck) fullscreen.

I'm kind of conflicted about this...I too want to be able to have as much screen as possible, but the 'remove toolbar from fullscreen' option is not sticky. That is, you need to manually uncheck it every time you open the browser to have this work.
My initial inclination was to agree with davep above as it would be a pain to have to check the box every time. However, I've played around with the feature and it only appears to uncheck when you power down. I've tried browsing around, closing the browser and starting it up again, even waiting for a while until the screen saver kicks in but the only way I can get the box to uncheck (other than through the menu obviously) is to power off. I don't know about anyone else, but I never seem to power my 770 down. The standby battery performance is so good, it doesn't seem necessary.

Unless I've missed something basic, I vote for using the extra space.

macdaddy
2005-12-30, 07:36
Hi Ben.

I went to http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.2.2/ this morning to download the latest revisions to the 770 skin.

I downloaded two files:

SlimServer_6_2_x_v2005-12-30.dmg
30-Dec-2005 01:11 9.1M Mac OS X Disk Image

&

SlimServer_6_2_x_v2005-12-30.no-cpan-arch.tar.gz
30-Dec-2005 01:02 6.8M GZIP compressed archive

Unfortunately, I could not locate the 770 html folder in either one. Also, my SlimServer does not show the new 770 skin -- only the old one.

What am I doing wrong?

P.S.: I still prefer the extra space. Also, hopefully the changes to Opera will be a sticky in the next upgrade.

Triode
2005-12-30, 07:52
I think this was the possible confusion Michael pointed out before...

Ben is checking his changes into trunk. This is 6.5 and they will become available in the 6.5 nightlies. [Ben can you confirm that it is the 6.5 version of the skin that you are checking in here?]

As for the 6.2 nightlies - these are built from the 6_2_x branch. But this is closed for new code and is only taking bug fixes. Hence I would not expect the skin to appear in this (unless Ben has specially agreed it with Dean..?)

bklaas
2005-12-30, 09:56
Cards being shuffled might be good for another function that could be added also (here we go, bloat looms) which is the shuffle setting. I realise that I do actually use this quite a bit in normal operations.

What do you mean by the shuffle setting? Do you mean whether the playlist is configured to shuffle song/shuffle album/not shuffle? If that's the case, it's already on the 'now playing' window...lower right box on the screen.

For the random function, a pair of dice would be my suggestion - the attached is a (very) rough concept - just a suggestion, feel free to ignore it.

davep

Love it, Thanks! I'll do some tweaking and get it in there. I'm going to recycle the 'ribbon' icon that was used for the statistics link and make it the link for 'favorites'. That will make a 5x2 grid of home icons, which will make them line up nice with the nav bar icons.

#!/ben

bklaas
2005-12-30, 10:03
Mea culpa...Michael and Triode, my aplogies. You are quite right-- trunk is 6.5, and that's what I'm checking into. I didn't realize that was the case, and that explains a lot. A couple things I couldn't get to look right in 6.2 were 'magically working' with my svn checkout. It's all clear now...

I'm going to have to stew on the 6.2 skin support issue, because I'm very hesitant to spend a lot of time on fixing things in two branches, particularly when the skin API has changed significantly between the two branches. My guess is that I'll just be sticking to 6.5.

I guess if you're jonesin' for the current Nokia770 skin, you should give a 6.5 nightly a shot. FWIW, I've been (unknowingly) using it for the past day or two and there aren't any serious red flags.

sorry for the mixup...
#!/ben

Neil Sleightholm
2005-12-30, 11:38
Ben, I think random.gif is missing from SVN.

bklaas
2005-12-30, 15:02
Ben, I think random.gif is missing from SVN.

quite so. I just checked 'em in.

duhaas
2005-12-30, 21:33
Just a quick question about the skin and the 770, how the performance when navagating the page from the nokia device? i just wanna to make sure if i invest in the 770, i wont be thinking the thing is too slow?

macdaddy
2005-12-30, 21:36
Ben:

I installed Slim Server 6.5 for Mac. I have had several problems. First, when I run the web browser, it does not show any songs, albums, etc. as being available when I click the corresponding icon -- just a blank page. I tried to rescan my library, but still no music shows up (although the bottom of the screen on the home page states that I have xx albums and xxx songs). Second, the Slim Server tends to turn itself off every minute or so. I assume this is a Mac OSX compatibility issue with Slim Server 6.5. I was concerned that this might be an issue with 6.5, which is why I have been using 6.2. It is disappointing because I wanted to continue to beta test your 770 skin, but if I can't resolve this I will have to re-install 6.2 and be content with your first generation 770 skin until Slim gets the bugs worked out of 6.5 for Mac OSX :-(

bklaas
2005-12-31, 12:41
Ben:

I installed Slim Server 6.5 for Mac. I have had several problems.

sorry I can't be of help with this, but I'm a Linux guy and wouldn't know how to debug on OSX problem. You might try posting a separate thread to this forum asking for help getting 6.5 going with a Mac. I've really appreciated your feedback on the skin...hope you can get it running.
#!/ben

Milhouse
2005-12-31, 14:40
There is a new Nokia firmware image (3.2005.51-13) just released for the 770 - feedback is in this (http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901) thread, with links to the firmware in the first post.

General opinion is that memory management and email connectivity is improved.

In my experience this new firmware allows me to browse 4 web pages concurrently (in different "windows") when the previous firmware (2.2005.45) would run out of memory after only the second window.

bklaas
2005-12-31, 15:18
thanks for the update Milhouse...I'll have to get that new firmware. Glad to hear things are "snappier"...that's a place where improvement was needed.

bklaas
2005-12-31, 15:22
I checked in a bunch of changes today.

-- beefier text for better viewability
-- simplified browsecontrol icons down to just 'play' and 'add'
-- 'now playing' page significantly enhanced
-- changes made to assume user is hiding the toolbar in fullscreen mode
-- player chooser on top pagebar
-- misc bugfixes

known bug-- playlist controls (up, down, next, delete) don't work. Not sure if it's a bug in 6.5 or if it's bad html. that's top on my list to fix right now.

screenshots (this time direct from the 770) here-
http://benklaas.com/slimserver/nokiaskin_screenshots/new/

cheers and a happy Gnu year-
#!/ben

macdaddy
2005-12-31, 16:40
screen shots look great. the random icon looks cool. i especially like seeing the playlist summary on now playing page.

i too re-flashed & memory management seems better. was a pain to re-install all the little apps though.

been tweaking w/ 6.5 on macosx & and seems better. had to cmpletely delete & re-install. i think it will work. 50% of library scanned, but taking a really long time to finish scanning library.

have a happy & safe new year everyone.

Stewart Loving-Gibbard
2006-01-01, 17:12
Hi.

I've been a customer for a while. I have 2 Slimp3s, a SB1, and just
bought a SB2.

The Debian server is a dual proc Xeon with 2 GB RAM running a Tekram
powered SATA RAID 5. I believe machine resources should not be an issue.
It does nothing but serve MP3 files and run Slimserver.

SlimServer Version: 6.2.1 - 5194 - Debian - EN - iso-8859-1

Everything is hardwired.

Things I've tried:

- Resetting the SB2 to factory defaults
- Restarting the server OS
- Restarting SlimServer
- Repeatedly forgetting, then re-adding all the players

Problem #1:

The server plays the same song over & over, never moving on to the next
track. Repeat is off. This is just for this new SB2, not the other
Slimp3s and SB1 connected to the server.

Problem #2:

The SB2 loses connection out every 30-50 seconds, for about 5-25
seconds. Sometimes the buffer is large enough to cover the outage with
no loss of audio, but the time elapsed stops updating, etc.

I do intend to use all players at once, but at the time of testing I'm
just using the new SB2.

I have a continuous ping going on a windows box connected to the same
switch, and I see this:

Reply from 10.0.0.211: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.0.0.211: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128 << Outage begins here
Reply from 10.0.0.211: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 10.0.0.211: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128 << Outage stops here
Reply from 10.0.0.211: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64

Here's a server network & health dump:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Squeezebox2

Please queue up several tracks to play on this player and start them
playing. Then press the Reset Counters link above to clear the
statistics and update this display.
Summary

Control Connection : OK
Streaming Connection : OK
Player Signal Strength : OK
Buffer Fullness : OK
Server Response Time : OK

Warnings

This player is performing normally.
Player Performance : Squeezebox2

The graphs shown here record the long term trend for each of the player
performance measurements below. They display the number and percentage
of measurements which fall within each measurement band.

It is imporant to leave the player playing for a while and then assess
the graphs.

Buffer Fullness
This graph shows the fill of the player's buffer. Higher buffer fullness
is better. Note the buffer is only filled while the player is playing
tracks.

Squeezebox1 uses a small buffer and it is expected to stay full while
playing. If this value drops to 0 it will result in audio dropouts. This
is likely to be due to network problems.

Squeezebox2 uses a large buffer. This drains to 0 at the end of each
track and then refills for the next track. You should only be concerned
if the buffer fill is not high for the majority of the time a track is
playing.

Playing remote streams can lead to low buffer fill as the player needs
to wait for data from the remote server. This is not a cause for concern.

< 10 : 31 : 3% #
< 20 : 0 : 0%
< 30 : 0 : 0%
< 40 : 1 : 0%
< 50 : 0 : 0%
< 60 : 1 : 0%
< 70 : 70 : 7% ###
< 80 : 6 : 1%
< 90 : 35 : 4% #
< 100 : 837 : 85% ##########################################
>=100 : 0 : 0%
max : 99.999968
min : 0.000000
avg : 92.814475

Control Connection
This graph shows the number of messages queued up to send to the player
over the control connection. A measurement is taken every time a new
message is sent to the player. Values above 1-2 indicate potential
network congestion or that the player has become disconnected.

< 1 : 170 :100%
##################################################
< 2 : 0 : 0%
< 5 : 0 : 0%
< 10 : 0 : 0%
< 20 : 0 : 0%
>=20 : 0 : 0%
max : 0.000000
min : -1.000000
avg : -0.129412

Server Performance
The graphs shown here record the long term trend for each of the server
performance measurements below. They display the number and percentage
of measurements which fall within each measurement band.
Server Response Time
This graph shows the length of time between slimserver responding to
requests from any player. It is measured in seconds. Lower numbers are
better. If you notice response times of over 1 second this could lead to
problems with audio performance.

The cause of long response times could be either other programs running
on the server or slimserver processing a complex task.

< 0.002 : 20900 : 95% ###############################################
< 0.005 : 668 : 3% #
< 0.01 : 141 : 1%
< 0.015 : 4 : 0%
< 0.025 : 7 : 0%
< 0.05 : 17 : 0%
< 0.1 : 160 : 1%
< 0.5 : 2 : 0%
< 1 : 3 : 0%
< 5 : 1 : 0%
>=5 : 0 : 0%
max : 1.774451
min : 0.000046
avg : 0.001021

Timer Accuracy
Slimserver uses a timer mechanism to trigger events such as updating the
user interface. This graph shows how accurately each timer task is run
relative to the time it was intended to be run. It is measured in seconds.

Timer tasks are scheduled by the server to run at some point in the
future. As only one timer task can run at once and the server may also
be performing other activity, timer tasks always run slightly after the
time they are scheduled for. However if timer tasks run significantly
after they are scheduled this can become noticable through delay in the
user interface.

< 0.002 : 6842 : 99% #################################################
< 0.005 : 10 : 0%
< 0.01 : 3 : 0%
< 0.015 : 8 : 0%
< 0.025 : 10 : 0%
< 0.05 : 16 : 0%
< 0.1 : 9 : 0%
< 0.5 : 11 : 0%
< 1 : 5 : 0%
< 5 : 2 : 0%
max : 1.461002
min : 0.000000
avg : 0.002572

Timer Task Duration
This graph shows how long each timer task runs for. It is measured in
seconds. If any timer task takes more than 0.5 seconds this is likely to
impact the user interface.

< 0.002 : 6687 : 97% ################################################
< 0.005 : 227 : 3% #
< 0.01 : 1 : 0%
< 0.015 : 0 : 0%
< 0.025 : 0 : 0%
< 0.05 : 1 : 0%
< 0.1 : 0 : 0%
< 0.5 : 0 : 0%
< 1 : 0 : 0%
max : 0.043672
min : 0.000042
avg : 0.000553

Scheduled Tasks
The server runs processor intensive tasks (such as scanning your music
collection) by breaking them into short pieces which are scheduled when
when active players are not requesting data. This graph shows the length
of time in seconds that a scheduled task runs for before returning
control to the server. Tasks taking over 0.5 second may lead to reduced
performance for the user interface.

< 0.002 : 0 : 0%
< 0.005 : 10 : 91% #############################################
< 0.01 : 0 : 0%
< 0.015 : 0 : 0%
< 0.025 : 0 : 0%
< 0.05 : 0 : 0%
< 0.1 : 0 : 0%
< 0.5 : 1 : 9% ####
< 1 : 0 : 0%
max : 0.273489
min : 0.002292
avg : 0.027011

malsbury
2006-01-01, 18:01
Hi.

I've been a customer for a while. I have 2 Slimp3s, a SB1, and just
bought a SB2.....It does nothing but serve MP3 files and run Slimserver.I think you should repost this as a new thread in the General Discussion Forum, lots of helpful folks out there. I'm sure that is what you meant to do, and did not mean to post it as the 75th post in a rather specific topic thread.

--Tom Malsbury

funkstar
2006-01-02, 04:26
Or if you are using the mailing list instead of the forums, you should create a new message, instead of replying to an old one and changing the subject.

Triode
2006-01-02, 15:36
Stewart - Please post on another thread. But in the mean time, check you don't have another device which is conflicting for the same IP address. [the change of TTL in echo reply looks odd to me...] Try showing the arp table while doing your ping test.

MrC
2006-01-03, 15:45
Does browse artwork work for anyone with the lastest version of this skin? I get no artwork showing up.

fuzzyT
2006-01-03, 16:14
Artwork WFM.

About page shows: "Last update: 20 Dec 2005". Is this the latest?

Beautiful work BTW. Loving the 770-Slim combo.

--rt

MrC wrote:
> Does browse artwork work for anyone with the lastest version of this
> skin? I get no artwork showing up.

bklaas
2006-01-03, 16:26
weird...I'm seeing a reply from Ron Thigpen in my email but not on the web forum. Well, here's what he had to say.

ron thigpen wrote:
> Artwork WFM.
>

me too, although IMO the browse artwork feature in slimserver itself has a ways to go. sorting by artist is the first step (there is an open bug on this already).

> About page shows: "Last update: 20 Dec 2005". Is this the latest?

No. Funny you should mention that, as I was just looking at that today and wondering why I put in a date I would never remember to update. For up-to-the-nanosecond knowledge of when the last change was made, check the subversion viewcvs page here:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/server/HTML/Nokia770/?sortby=date#dirlist
newest checkin will appear at the top

>
> Beautiful work BTW. Loving the 770-Slim combo.

well thank ye kindly ;)
lots more improvements to come...

cheers,
#!/ben

MrC
2006-01-03, 17:00
I'm using the latest SVN Trunk 4515. Artwork used to work in this skin, but doesn't now. The version in the About page shows Jan 3.

bklaas
2006-01-03, 20:55
I'm using the latest SVN Trunk 4515. Artwork used to work in this skin, but doesn't now. The version in the About page shows Jan 3.

MrC-- not sure how to debug this since I can't reproduce it. Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Also, I'm not a subversion expert, but if I go here I see the trunk currently at 5526 and counting...that seems pretty far off 4515.
http://svn.slimdevices.com/trunk/
however, if you see Jan 3 on the about page, you have the most current Nokia770 skin.

#!/ben

macdaddy
2006-01-03, 21:59
Hey Ben:

I resolved my Mac / Slim 6.5 problem. Have been using latest skin. It is awesome! I think the larger version for toolbar off mode in opera rocks! I don't want to bore you w/ obvious tweaks that you are already aware of. Could you provide updated ToDo list? Also, I noticed tonight that when playing songs w/ long names there is no word wrap or truncate feature, which results in need to scroll left & right to see full page. Not a problem - just an observation.

bklaas
2006-01-03, 22:04
glad to hear you got it working, macdaddy.

my nokia770 skin todo list is publicly available, and will be updated as I go. heck, you can even subscribe to an RSS feed of this to track my every move!

cheers,
#!/ben

MrC
2006-01-03, 22:40
I'm actually seeing that other skins are no longer showing artwork for me when I browse Artwork. I'll spend time tomorrow seeing what I can find.

Thanks for your time.

dean
2006-01-03, 22:45
I added a change to 6.5 today that will resize cover art thumbnails
in slimserver on the fly. This makes the artwork page in the 770
skin (and other skins) much faster. Right now it should work on
Linux and Mac OS X, Dan needs to update a library for Windows in a
future nightly.

Still to be added is server-side caching of the resized images, which
should make the thing even faster.

Look for it in tonight's nightly build and please post if you have
any issues with it.

Thanks,

dean

macdaddy
2006-01-04, 12:32
I have been unable to use the browse by art feature on the 770 skin because it takes up too much memory and processor speed of my 770. Sometimes, I must close browser and re-open. Once I even had an automatice re-boot. Sounds like this improvement in Slim might change things for the better.

fuzzyT
2006-01-04, 13:04
macdaddy wrote:
> Sounds like this improvement in Slim might change things for the
> better.

It makes sense that it would. If the images are resized on the server
there's less data to stream to the 770, to cache, to decode from JPG to
bitmaps and, most importantly, less data that the browser has to hold in
memory, internally resize and render. Should be a big win.

--rt

dean
2006-01-04, 14:14
On Jan 4, 2006, at 12:04 PM, ron thigpen wrote:
> macdaddy wrote:
>> Sounds like this improvement in Slim might change things for the
>> better.
>
> It makes sense that it would. If the images are resized on the
> server there's less data to stream to the 770, to cache, to decode
> from JPG to bitmaps and, most importantly, less data that the
> browser has to hold in memory, internally resize and render.
> Should be a big win.

Funny you should mention this... Last night's 6.5 nightly build
includes dynamic resizing of thumbnail images. Currently it's only
working on OSX and Linux servers (Dan needs to rebuild a library for
windows), but it seems to be much friendlier to the 770. The other
limitation is that it doesn't cache the resized images on the server,
so they are recalcuated each time they are requested. This will be
added later.

fuzzyT
2006-01-04, 14:31
dean blackketter wrote:

> Funny you should mention this...

By caching on the server, do you mean writing resized images into the
library (or some sort of img-cache dir)? Seems like you could do this
once on scan, store the path/filename in the db and be done with it.
Big gains for browsing, and for all but the first scanner pass.

Another gain in the browsers will be in page scrolling. From what I can
tell, the browsers seem to call their resize code in the renderer as the
images need to be flowed into the layout. So when you scroll and hit
new images, they have to be resized on the fly, which is performance
intensive, and this produces glitchy scroll behavior. And the ones that
fall off the screen seem to be thrown away and recalc'd when you scroll
back. Not good.

Anyway, serving correctly sized-for-display images is just better. And
don't forget to update the HTML markup to include img tag height and
width attributes. This hints the layout engine and allows for quicker
paints.

Yip!

--rt

macdaddy
2006-01-04, 15:09
Hey SlimDudes:

I just checked the nightly updates and did not see the usual MACOSX image. Has the file name changed or is not yet ready? What's up?

Thanks

Neil Sleightholm
2006-01-04, 15:16
Ben, there seems to be a problem with the display of radio stations - they have a black background with dark text and are missing the header bar. (My particular interest is AlienBBC but it also does it with RadioIO.) I am using the latest SVN copy on 6.5.

Neil

bklaas
2006-01-04, 15:39
Ben, there seems to be a problem with the display of radio stations - they have a black background with dark text and are missing the header bar. (My particular interest is AlienBBC but it also does it with RadioIO.) I am using the latest SVN copy on 6.5.

Neil

hi Neil-- there's definitely a lot to fix yet with internet radio support, and rest assured I will be addressing that because I'm a fan of such things myself :) In fact, I just checked in special handling of the 'now playing' page for radio streams. Displays the radio icon instead of cover art, displays the URL instead of track information, and gets rid of the irrelevant-for-radio progress bar.

I don't see the black background with dark text thing though...that sounds like a css issue that I cleared up (possibly earlier today). give it a shot with tomorrow's daily build (or update your svn tree), and let me know if it looks better now.

While we're on the internet radio thing-- I can't get slimdevices picks or publicradiofan.com plugin to show up on the browser interface (any skin), but they show up when using the remote on my squeezebox. Anyone know what the deal is with this?

cheers,
#!/ben

Dan Sully
2006-01-04, 15:43
* bklaas shaped the electrons to say...

>While we're on the internet radio thing-- I can't get slimdevices picks
>or publicradiofan.com plugin to show up on the browser interface (any
>skin), but they show up when using the remote on my squeezebox. Anyone
>know what the deal is with this?

Picks went a rewrite to become a user of XMLBrowser - it's OPML underneath.

There's no web interface for it yet. Patches welcome.

-D
--
This knob controls the thing that changes when you turn it. - noah

malsbury
2006-01-04, 18:44
While we're on the internet radio thing-- I can't get slimdevices picks or publicradiofan.com plugin to show up on the browser interface (any skin), but they show up when using the remote on my squeezebox. Anyone know what the deal is with this?
As far as the publicradiofan.com plugin not showing any info in the web interface, I think that is by design. I have been talking to the original author off-forum, and asked him about displaying the info that the plugin gathers from the publicradiofan.com website in the Slimserver web UI like the Shoutcast and AlienBBC plugins currently do. He said that when he got permission from the owner/creator of publicradiofan.com to write the plugin the owner's only requests were that the info scraped not be reused in any other web format and that the "Please Donate" message is displayed. I guess the logic is that Slimp3s/Squeezeboxen are not direct competitors to the service that publicradiofan.com provides, but that the webUI of Slimserver and its remote streaming capabilities are.

The owner/creator of publicradiofan.com was actually nice enough to rework his page code to make them easier for the plugin to parse when it was originally created. If he discovered that the plugin is no longer honoring his requests he could easily change the site to break the plugin.

Hope that helps clear it up...

--Tom Malsbury

PS: Ben, are you using publicradiofanbrowser.pm v0.3 or v0.4 (via AlienBBC)? If you would like to give v0.4 a try, I have it up at: http://www.malsbury.net/~slim/ . You might like the page layout, careful what you leave on peoples servers ;)

bklaas
2006-01-05, 07:51
As far as the publicradiofan.com plugin not showing any info in the web interface, I think that is by design.
...He said that when he got permission from the owner/creator of publicradiofan.com to write the plugin the owner's only requests were that the info scraped not be reused in any other web format and that the "Please Donate" message is displayed.

hey Tom!
thanks, that makes sense. Bummer, but reasonable. I got a gonzo cool idea about the publicradiofan.com page while thinking about this last night...I'll spare the details until I see if I can get it working, but I'll give you a hint: "rhymes with creasemonkey".

PS: Ben, are you using publicradiofanbrowser.pm v0.3 or v0.4 (via AlienBBC)? If you would like to give v0.4 a try, I have it up at: http://www.malsbury.net/~slim/ . You might like the page layout, careful what you leave on peoples servers ;)

I'm currently using 0.3, so thanks for the tip on 0.4...I'll give it a shot when I get a chance.

Also, I just *love* what you've done with your website. My only request is that you put a "Please Donate" message by my name at the bottom ;)

cheers,
#!/ben

Steve Baumgarten
2006-01-05, 09:01
bklaas wrote:

> thanks, that makes sense. Bummer, but reasonable. I got a gonzo cool
> idea about the publicradiofan.com page while thinking about this last
> night...I'll spare the details until I see if I can get it working, but
> I'll give you a hint: "rhymes with creasemonkey".

Yes indeed. I've often thought a right-click menu item in Firefox that
did a "Send to Squeezebox" would be great. It would do the equivalent of
copying the URL, bringing up the "Radio Tune In" page via the Slimserver
and pasting it in to play it. (Not that following those exact steps
manually is such an ordeal, but still, it'd be cool.)

SBB

Visit our website at http://www.ubs.com

This message contains confidential information and is intended only
for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
message is provided for informational purposes and should not be
construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
related financial instruments.

bklaas
2006-01-05, 09:27
bklaas wrote:

Yes indeed. I've often thought a right-click menu item in Firefox that
did a "Send to Squeezebox" would be great. It would do the equivalent of
copying the URL, bringing up the "Radio Tune In" page via the Slimserver
and pasting it in to play it. (Not that following those exact steps
manually is such an ordeal, but still, it'd be cool.)

more or less, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing. If I get it to work, I'll post it to a new thread, since this is getting a bit OT.

as for this thread, post #100! woohoo! do i win something?

cheers,
#!/ben

Fifer
2006-01-05, 11:26
as for this thread, post #100! woohoo! do i win something?
Our eternal gratitude ... ;)

GoCubs
2006-01-05, 13:08
I added a change to 6.5 today that will resize cover art thumbnails
in slimserver on the fly. This makes the artwork page in the 770
skin (and other skins) much faster. Right now it should work on
Linux and Mac OS X, Dan needs to update a library for Windows in a
future nightly.

Still to be added is server-side caching of the resized images, which
should make the thing even faster.

Look for it in tonight's nightly build and please post if you have
any issues with it.

Clap clap clap horray horray. I had a thread on this a while back that was met with much resistance. I then filed a bug related to it...

OLD THREAD:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16714

Much thanks
Greg

dean
2006-01-05, 13:44
On Jan 4, 2006, at 1:31 PM, ron thigpen wrote:
> By caching on the server, do you mean writing resized images into
> the library (or some sort of img-cache dir)? Seems like you could
> do this once on scan, store the path/filename in the db and be done
> with it. Big gains for browsing, and for all but the first scanner
> pass.
Exactly. Stay tuned.

> Anyway, serving correctly sized-for-display images is just better.
> And don't forget to update the HTML markup to include img tag
> height and width attributes. This hints the layout engine and
> allows for quicker paints.
I believe that these are already present.

bklaas
2006-01-05, 14:13
> And don't forget to update the HTML markup to include img tag
> height and width attributes. This hints the layout engine and
> allows for quicker paints.[/color]
I believe that these are already present.

yep...I don't think there's a single spot in the Nokia770 skin where a thumbnail img tag doesn't have width and height tags...
cheers,
#!/ben

Neil Sleightholm
2006-01-05, 14:29
I don't see the black background with dark text thing though...that sounds like a css issue that I cleared up (possibly earlier today). give it a shot with tomorrow's daily build (or update your svn tree), and let me know if it looks better now.Ben, I tried getting the latest SVN and clearing the cache but I still see dark text on a black background. I'll see if I can figure out why. Thanks for all you hard work.

Neil

lmilhan
2006-01-05, 18:16
Hi everyone!

Total newb here. I have a question regarding the Nokia 770. This might seem like a stupid question, but will this device stream video and pictures over my home wireless network? My idea is that I can use the Nokia 770 to be a nice remote for my Squeezebox 3, as well as surf the interenet using my home WiFi network. The selling point will be if I can also stream videos (from my main PC server) video as well as pictures over the WiFi network.

Thanks!

bklaas
2006-01-05, 19:02
streaming video isn't really there yet, but because of the open-source nature of the product, it has potential (I will be watching that effort heavily too).

the best option for this is probably someone porting vlc to the 770. I figure it will happen, it's just a question of when.

fwiw, i've viewed the king kong movie trailer on the 770 and the video is smooth and beautiful.

you might take up your question on the http://internettablettalk.com forum. Come to think of it, there's probably already a thread or two about it on that site...

cheers,
#!/ben

macdaddy
2006-01-06, 05:54
For the past few nights I have been looking for the nightly update for 6.5 so I could see the changes Ben has made. Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate the 6.5 update for MAC OSX. The last update I found available for download was the image file for SlimServer_v2006-01-03.dmg. No longer do I see any .dmg file available, nor do I see any description tag that the update is for OSX. I posted a request for help a couple of days ago in this thread, but have no response. It is odd that I cannot find the MAC file because it has been mentioned in this thread that the changes to allow for quicker thumbnail browsing has been completed on MAC and Linux. ???????

kdf
2006-01-06, 15:01
Ben,

The new skin is looking great. I don't have a nokia, but I've tried it out with regular old firefox. I've noticed a couple strange things in the now playing display. It seems that the progress bar might be updating too fast, as it gets to 100% before the end of a track, and keeps extending, pushing the right side of the skin outward. This may not happen on the nokia, since my case is using a much larger window size.

Second, the current song info block seems to move back and forth during the course of the song. It's an interesting effect; worth a good double-take.

-kdf

bklaas
2006-01-06, 15:26
thanks for taking a look at the skin, kdf. I too have seen the weird progress behavior on firefox, and not sure how to deal with that. I don't get the progress bar pushing off the screen thing on the Nokia (for that matter, I don't think on regular Opera either). But clearly something's wrong there. I may try writing my own custom javascript progress bar, but that's pretty far down the priority list.

The info block moving back-n-forth thing must be related to the progress bar weirdness. I don't see it on the Nokia.

kdf, since I've got you on the proverbial line, do you know if there is a variable (when viewing status.html) that can determine whether the current song is a remote URL? I started this thread on the dev forum today, but no solution has been mentioned yet
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19765

thanks again for the input
#!/ben

...on further review, the progress bar acts flaky enough on all browsers that I'm considering it broken. Will put this on my list.

kdf
2006-01-06, 15:55
Quoting bklaas <bklaas.218i7z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> kdf, since I've got you on the proverbial line, do you know if there is
> a variable (when viewing status.html) that can determine whether the
> current song is a remote URL?

does itemobj.isRemoteURL work?

bklaas
2006-01-06, 16:07
does itemobj.isRemoteURL work?

bingo! we have a winner!

thanks a bunch, that was giving me tons of grief...
#!/ben

chocomonsters
2006-01-07, 03:07
bklaas

Love your "skin" for Nokia 770.

Are you familiar with slimserver version running on Infrant NAS? I am using Infrant ReadyNAS X6 with slimserver add-on as server. Since this slimserver version is plug-in, there is no way to use your "skin" on my Nokia 770. I can run slimserver on PC and use NAS for music directory to use your "skin" on Nokia 770, but I want to be able to run it off server only.

I am looking forward to your final version getting rolled into future slimeserver release (which Infrant modify and release as add-on).

mherger
2006-01-07, 03:17
> I am looking forward to your final version getting rolled into future
> slimeserver release (which Infrant modify and release as add-on).

AFAIK the 770 skin is slimserver 6.5 only, and Infrant's still using
6.2.x. You couldn't copy the 6.5 skin to your NAS even if it wasn't a
plugin.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

MrC
2006-01-08, 19:58
Hello Ben,

Progress on the skin is looking great.

Question: is there a Power Off button for a player anywhere? I like to use the web to poweroff the player (so that the off-mode screensaver kicks in).

Also, in your newly checked in 5578, the file menu_radio.gif needs to be checked in.

bklaas
2006-01-08, 20:29
Thanks to KDF and Grotus on helping me debug the two things that were giving me the most grief with the skin-- identifying radio streams when playing and getting a player chooser pull-down menu to work on every page (for those streaming to more than one player).

I checked in several notable changes over the last few days. If you are using this skin for work or play, I suggest you get the new daily on Monday, or update your svn tree.

-- now playing page has a custom layout when playing remote streams
-- added a radio URL tune-in form on the browse radio page
-- misc layout improvements
-- player chooser pull-down shows up in upper-right of nav bar on all pages (when using more than one player)
-- home page layout changes
-- the top nav no longer has the back button, and I added a browse radio button. I was resistant to remove the back button, even though it was redundant with the Nokia's HW back key, because I'm left-handed and find those buttons fairly inconvenient for me. However, Dean @ slimdevices convinced me that using a javascript:history.back() button was problematic when interfacing with the slimserver, so away it goes. I'll just have to start learning to use that HW key I guess...

There's still a lot to do, but I think the skin is in pretty darn good shape now. I'll keep you all posted.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-08, 20:37
Boy, MrC, you are quick...I had just checked that stuff in. Thanks, though--I never remember to add new images to the tree.

No idea about the potential for a power-off button on the skin. Will look into that.

While we are on the subjet of icons, I have a request of the SlimNokiaSkinUsers of the World. I am going to remove 'internet radio' from the main selection of icons on 'home' since it is now found on the top nav bar.

I want to replace it with a link to 'new music', but I have two problems:
1. I have no idea what a 'new music' icon should look like
2. I am abysmal at making icons

Anyone want to design one for the project? You can use one of the existing icons as a template for size/color/dimensions. If you do, post ideas and work to the thread, so others know not to waste days and days on such a noble and just task.

cheers,
#!/ben

malsbury
2006-01-08, 21:45
I want to replace it with a link to 'new music', but I have two problems:
1. I have no idea what a 'new music' icon should look like
2. I am abysmal at making iconsMaybe something along the lines of this: http://musicbox.sourceforge.net/musicbox.png

I was thinking that it looks like a package that just got opened... just a jumping off point for thought. It would take someone with much more skill then I have to make a similar image in the flat gray style of the other Touch/Nokia770 icons.

--Tom Malsbury

MrC
2006-01-08, 23:54
Ben,

I played with a couple of images. First, I added a note symbol to the Music Folder. I didn't clean it up, but was wondering what you thought of the idea.

Second, I created a New Music image. I thought of those cheesy New! starbursts you see in magazines. I haven't decided how much I like the idea, but thought I'd toss out something for you to play with.

As for the Power On/Off code, the Default skin provides this ability. Basically it has an anchor tag with an href with three parameters to status_header.html (p0=power, p1=0 (for off, 1 for on), and a playerid playerid=xyz).

davep
2006-01-09, 03:35
Here's my concept for the New Music icon - it kind of combines the two ideas of MrC. Needs some cleaning up as right now it is on the grey background used in the top menu bar and that may not be how the html works.

davep

bklaas
2006-01-09, 07:53
DaveP- I like the shiny musical note thing...if you can make it to conform to the style of the other icons on the home page, I'll fold it in. Thanks for your efforts.

MrC-- thanks for the legwork on the 'power off' function. I will look to put that somewhere on the 'now playing' page.
As for the musical note graphic inside the music folder icon, I have no problem with that. I'm going to wait until the 'new music' icon is done and then steal the style from it to put inside the folder icon.

cheers,
#!/ben

davep
2006-01-09, 09:20
Ben,
this is the best I have been able to do tonight with the New icon. It could probably be improved if I spent a bit more time on it but that would not be possible for another day or two. Let me know what you think.

davep

bklaas
2006-01-09, 09:38
thanks Dave!

I may not have been as clear as I should have been on my last post-- it's my intention to have a new music icon on the body of the home page, not the nav bar. So, white/transparent background, approx 120x100 pixel image in a flat grey color.

BUT, I think I should be able to massage what you've done into a workable image. I may have the art skills of a 2nd grader, but I can certainly resize and change colors (I think ;) ).

thanks again for the contribution!

cheers
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-09, 12:06
I did an incredibly ham-handed modification of the new_music.gif from davep and it's checked in. I know it looks pixelated and lousy, but it's there as a placeholder until it can be improved. Will welcome anyone's handiwork on making it look like it actually belongs on the home page...

cheers,
#!/ben

MrC
2006-01-09, 19:46
Ben,

Here's a cleaned up, anti-aliased New image based on the one created by davep. I still used the slanted note, and moved the starburst to the left side of the note as it fits better. If you like this, I'll create you the active image as well. I'm doing these in Photoshop and they are quite easy using vectors and masks, so popping them out is a breeze.

If you don't like my style, i'll send you cleaned up versions of davep's.

Let me know.

bklaas
2006-01-09, 21:12
Thanks, MrC! I think the icon has a bit skinnier style than the rest on that page, but it doesn't bother me much. I checked it in (I made an 'active' gif as well)...give it a look when you get a chance.
cheers
#!/ben

davep
2006-01-09, 21:13
I like the MrC one and I think Photoshop is probably a better workbench than my kludge of 3 programs. However, since I have now done the rework I might as well show you.

davep

MrC
2006-01-09, 21:59
Thanks Ben and Davep,

Here's an antialiased active one too, with a slight variant. The starburst remains grey, while the notes darken.

Ben, if you'd like, i'd be happy to make thicker note icons.

MrC
2006-01-09, 22:16
Ben,

I noticed that I can get more than one icon active at a time. I've enclosed a home.html that changes the behaviour. Try it out, and tell me what you think.

MrC

MrC
2006-01-09, 22:18
When are the regular images used vs. those in the "smaller" folder?

bklaas
2006-01-10, 08:00
Thanks, MrC. I had been meaning to fix the onMouse event handlers on home.html at some point, but since none of those effects work on the Nokia 770. I also checked in your new_music_active.gif file...nice work. Take a look yourself on whether you think the note needs to be beefed up to look more conforming to the rest of the icons. Personally, it doesn't make much difference to me and I think it looks fine right now. I'll trust your judgment.

On the 'smaller/' subfolder...when I was first making the skin I hadn't arrived at a conclusion as to how large several of the icons were going to be, so I wrote a script called shrink_icons.pl (it's in the source code under html/images/shrink_icons.pl) that could resize the home icons on the fly to dimensions given on the command-line. In case I need to resize everything again, this allows me to have a permanent 'hi-res' base folder and a 'smaller/' folder to contain the resized images. Sorry, that's a bit long-winded, but that's what it's for.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-10, 13:09
If anyone is up to it, I'd like to see the icons on the top nav bar "glow" if that particular page is selected. I gave it a shot this morning and miserably failed (I truly suck at image manipulation).

So, to summarize, I need 'glowing' companions to:
menu_home.gif
menu_status.gif
menu_playlist.gif
menu_radio.gif
menu_search.gif

If you're game to give this a shot, let the thread know...

thanks
#!/ben

vikmurthy
2006-01-10, 14:13
If you all would indulge me (as a technical midget) one especially stupid question ... having downloaded an earlier version of the Nokia 770 skin from Ben's website, where would I now find the most recent version for download? I've checked the Plugins and Resources links under the Community tab, but am sort of at my wit's end. Your help is much appreciated. Also, thank you in advance to all of you who have generously contributed your time and technical expertise to create an awesome skin for the 770 ...

bklaas
2006-01-10, 14:25
hi Vik-

I think I sent you a private message last night detailing what you need to do.

For all-- Nokia770 skin is 6.5 only. You need to download the latest nightly build if you want latest-and-greatest:
http://slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/latest/6.5/

The grapevine tells me that MacOSX builds aren't available. I am a linux guy, so won't be able to help with that. If you need a Mac OSX 6.5 nightly build, check around the forums and see if there's an open thread on that issue. If not, start one.

cheers,
#!/ben

relen
2006-01-10, 14:57
I'm getting some kind of CSRF errors on accessing certain pages - eg server settings - on the Opera browser, both the N770 skin/plugin and Fishbone (magnifying glass required), but only on certain pages, primarily to do with settings - not /necessarily/ a bad thing - in fact I had half-wondered if it was deliberate.

Search system says this is mentioned somewhere in this thread but I can't seem to find it... I get the feeling I ought to be able to find a browser setting to change, but pardon my ignorance, I haven't seen this one before!

I'm running 6.5b1 5596 Linux.

...And by the way, kudos to everyone involved in the 770 skin - it's great! (Now I just have to get my 770 to work when it's not in the same room as the access point...:-( )

--Richard E

bklaas
2006-01-10, 15:07
Go to Server Settings->Security->CSRF Protection Level and select 'none'. I believe that should get rid of CSRF issues.
#!/ben

relen
2006-01-10, 15:20
Aargh. Silly me. I knew 5'd seen it somewhere...

Thanks!
--Richard E

macdaddy
2006-01-10, 15:21
Ben:

Actually the MAC OSX image of 6.5 is finally available. I just downloaded it. I see that you have made quite a few changes over the past week. I will have to play with my 770 before giving any input.

MrC
2006-01-10, 22:56
If anyone is up to it, I'd like to see the icons on the top nav bar "glow" if that particular page is selected. I gave it a shot this morning and miserably failed (I truly suck at image manipulation).

So, to summarize, I need 'glowing' companions to:
menu_home.gif
menu_status.gif
menu_playlist.gif
menu_radio.gif
menu_search.gif

If you're game to give this a shot, let the thread know...

Ben,

I'll create the icons. By glow, I presume you want the same darkening affect as the others? Or do you want some other type of effect?

MrC
2006-01-11, 01:28
Ben,

Here's a new Home icon and a new menu.html. Let me know if this is what you were thinking. I've only converted the Home icon. If you like these, I'll do the rest once I hear your opinion/desire.

MrC

bklaas
2006-01-11, 07:29
MrC-- I was kind of hoping for something along these lines:
http://www.mytechaid.com/articles/gloweffectprint.htm
I gave the instructions a go from this page, but was not pleased with the outcome.

I suppose they could just be darkened, but I was thinking that there should be a wee bit o' pizzazz on the page, since everything is very flat right now.

#!/ben

phicar2
2006-01-11, 10:56
I just wanted to say that I think you guys are doing an awesome job with this! I went back and forth on Sonos vs Squeezebox and the 770 is what finally swayed me to the squeezbox (well, actually it is what let me go squeezebox [which I wanted for all its stong points vs the strong point of the Sonos - the remote] and still appease my wife - she loved the sonos controller). The work on this skin is what will take the 770 to the next level of "the perfect squeezebox remote" I think. Heck, I haven't even tried the skin yet (just got my 770 2 days ago and am a 2 month squeezebox newb so am a little hesitant to go to 6.5 until it is "released") but just reading through this thread has me pumped! Great job Ben and all the folks who have (and will) pitched in on this.

wei
2006-01-11, 11:11
Can't miss the party :-). I actually bought Nokia 770 specifically to remote control SB3. Despite the remote control is more expensive than the main component, it's still a lot better price performance than any competing product combo.

What would make the web skin a dream is to support dynamic web page update in the future. Instead of refreshing the entire web page at a fixed interval, updating the portion of the web page when it's changed. Something like the streaming web technology used by google map (another example is meebo.com). That would give user a more native application experience.

bklaas
2006-01-11, 12:15
Can't miss the party :-). I actually bought Nokia 770 specifically to remote control SB3. Despite the remote control is more expensive than the main component, it's still a lot better price performance than any competing product combo.

Yes, a very expensive remote, but MAN does it do a whole lot more. Web browsing is its finest feature, but I have been streaming slimserver directly to the Nokia's audio player quite a bit lately and listening with headphones. It's not only poor-man's Sonos, it's poor-man's iPod! Well, at least until you leave wireless range ;)

The 770 already has pretty nice video playback capabilities, but there's still some hurdles to overcome there. Ideally, there could be a video slimserver that you could use to select and stream to the Nokia in the same way as we do audio now...someday, perhaps, someday.

What would make the web skin a dream is to support dynamic web page update in the future. Instead of refreshing the entire web page at a fixed interval, updating the portion of the web page when it's changed. Something like the streaming web technology used by google map (another example is meebo.com). That would give user a more native application experience.

ABSOLUTELY. There is a closer example-- the ExBrowse3 skin for slimserver already uses AJAX/DHTML/DOM to do just that. I've been browsing through that code and have that feature as a TO-DO. While programming web pages in this manner is decidedly more involved than cranking out straight html with Template Toolkit, it will make the interface really shine. I even just ordered 'AJAX in action' to help beef up my skills in that area. For the record, browser page refreshes drive me NUTSO.

cheers,
#!/ben

Jacob Potter
2006-01-11, 12:27
On 1/11/06, bklaas <bklaas.21hirb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> ABSOLUTELY. There is a closer example-- the ExBrowse3 skin for
> slimserver already uses AJAX/DHTML/DOM to do just that. I've been
> browsing through that code and have that feature as a TO-DO. While
> programming web pages in this manner is decidedly more involved than
> cranking out straight html with Template Toolkit, it will make the
> interface really shine. I even just ordered 'AJAX in action' to help
> beef up my skills in that area. For the record, browser page refreshes
> drive me NUTSO.

Let me know if you want a hand. It's not too hard to "port" the EB3
code to another UI layout; the biggest difficulty would be making it
reliable with the 770's browser. (I don't have one yet - it's a
cut-down version of Opera, right?)

- Jacob

bklaas
2006-01-11, 12:54
Most definitely I'd like a hand. Send me either a private message via the forum or a direct email and we can talk about how to move forward.

IMO, there are only two pages in the Nokia770 skin that would need this dynamic functionality-- status.html ('now playing') and playlist.html.

The 770 does run opera for its web browser. I'm experimenting with using ExBrowse3 on it right now to see if there's any major gotchas. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be handling the dynamic updates of the status page :(

Opera is free and runs on every major OS, including Linux. It may not be the same as the 770 version, but I've been using it for development and I haven't yet seen any notable differences between how things are rendered. My usual browser Firefox, on the other hand, has some notable differences (e.g., it's not happy about the progress bar)

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-11, 13:09
Actually, I take it back. The dynamic updates using ExBrowse3 on the 770 *do* seem to work. I definitely saw one time when a new song came 'round and it didn't auto-update, but since then it's been behaving nicely. I hit FF and the playlist and now playing information auto-update without browser refresh as designed...

MrC
2006-01-11, 22:21
Ben,

I'll create some glowing icons for you to select from. I wasn't sure that's what you really meant, as the remainder of the skin is of a flatter style. If there are any colors you'd prefer for the glow, feel free to offer up your suggestions. Or if you still want a greyscale-ish glow, I can come up with something like that too.

Once the basic style is configured, createing the icons is trivial. I'll put them all into a single Photoshop document, and apply layer styles to each one. Then, they are segmented into "slices", where all the icons are produced in a single operation.

See one of the styles I created a long time ago for a class I taught: http://cis68a.mikecappella.com/ . Do a mouseover/mouseoff off the left-side links, and also try a mousedown and hold. The effect I was going for there was a depression affect.

bklaas
2006-01-12, 11:55
Ben,

I'll create some glowing icons for you to select from. I wasn't sure that's what you really meant, as the remainder of the skin is of a flatter style. If there are any colors you'd prefer for the glow, feel free to offer up your suggestions. Or if you still want a greyscale-ish glow, I can come up with something like that too.

Once the basic style is configured, createing the icons is trivial. I'll put them all into a single Photoshop document, and apply layer styles to each one. Then, they are segmented into "slices", where all the icons are produced in a single operation.

See one of the styles I created a long time ago for a class I taught: http://cis68a.mikecappella.com/ . Do a mouseover/mouseoff off the left-side links, and also try a mousedown and hold. The effect I was going for there was a depression affect.

My desire is to have menu nav icons that looks clearly "selected" in comparison to the others along that bar. I didn't think darkening the icon would do that--a darker icon works in the context of a mouseOver effect, but because of the nature of how a Nokia 770 is navigated (indeed, there is no mouse), it doesn't make sense here.

I suggested the glow effect because I think that would work well, but I'd be open to anything.

#!/ben

gharris999
2006-01-12, 14:20
Yes, a very expensive remote, but MAN does it do a whole lot more. Web browsing is its finest feature, but I have been streaming slimserver directly to the Nokia's audio player quite a bit lately and listening with headphones. It's not only poor-man's Sonos, it's poor-man's iPod! Well, at least until you leave wireless range ;)
Any idea what it would take to get softsqueeze working on a 770? I love this skin, by the way. It looked good enough on my Sony TJ37 Clie that I ordered a 770 just so I could fully appreciate your work ;-). Nokia ought to pay you a % or at least give you a new free phone now and then.

wei
2006-01-12, 14:54
I read from somewhere the Opera browser on 770 does not support Java. Softsqueeze is a java program, but you can use the internet radio player on 770 to get stream audio from slimserver.

Any idea what it would take to get softsqueeze working on a 770? I love this skin, by the way. It looked good enough on my Sony TJ37 Clie that I ordered a 770 just so I could fully appreciate your work ;-). Nokia ought to pay you a % or at least give you a new free phone now and then.

bklaas
2006-01-12, 14:56
Softsqueeze is not the way to go for this, esp. since the 770 doesn't have java support. But there's a better option...

I've been planning on writing up a wiki-ish HOWTO somewhere (where? slimdevices? internettablettalk?) on how to stream to the 770, but in lieu of that here's the basics.

a. get the stream going
open the 770's audio player
Playlist-> add stream...
http://yourslimserver.ip.address:9000/stream.mp3
hit play

b. control the stream
open the 770's web browser
http://yourslimserver.ip.address
or, if by some cruel twist of fate you don't have Nokia770 as your default skin
http://yourslimserver.ip.address/Nokia770/
the Nokia 770's ip address should appear in the player chooser list now. Select it.
stream whatever you want to the 770 (note: there will be a delay of many seconds due to stream buffering on the 770)
put on headphones
take note of how cool you are, and...

c. strut

also, if you do this
Track-> add to favorites
in the audio player, the slimserver stream URL will be available from then in the desktop 'internet radio' menu

as for Nokia giving me free schwag, I kind of doubt that, given the customer experience I've thus far received from them. Slimdevices on the other hand...they are quite generous indeed...eagerly awaiting my PONY in the mail...

cheers,
#!/ben

macdaddy
2006-01-12, 15:15
Ben:

I have been using the newest skin available for Mac (nightly updates aren't regular for Mac). I am curious about the "New Music" and "Favorite" selections on the main menu. First, to me the "New Music" isn't really that helpful. Do many people use this option? It just shows the 100 most recently added songs to the collection, right? Second, I still haven't figured out how to add songs to "Favorites". Every time I try to access that feature on the 770 it shows my favorite list is empty. Overall, performance is significantly faster than before. I think that update to 6.5 on the image rendering thing (can't recall exact name and too lazy to look back in thread) really helped us out.

On a related issue to the streaming to a 770. I set my wifi router up to public port my stream server. I was then able to access it from other locations via www. It was really cool. I went to Starbuck's typed in my address and it went straight to SlimServer running 770 skin. I was able to access music (with images too) and play songs. The only problem was that the connection was slow and the songs sometimes needed to re-buffer. Also, it was slow to browse between pages. However, I haven't tried it again now that the recent version of 6.5 improved the image rendering thing. I don't know if the speed issue is due to the image rendering, my internet connection at home, internet connection at Starbuck's or nature of the beast (trying to do something that wasn't really an intended use).

Ben you are doing an awesome job on this and I for one, really appreciate your efforts.

P.S.: Great avatar. When I read your posts, I sometimes imagine that kid's voice from the avatar.

bklaas
2006-01-12, 15:37
on home page links:
I made a few command decisions to round out the home icon set after moving things around on the top nav bar (back button removed, internet radio and search moved up to the nav bar)

FWIW, I use almost exclusively these 2 browse links from the home page: Music Folder, Artist

Genre and Album are completely useless to me, and the others aren't too important either. Still, it *looks* nice ;)

Since adding New Music, I've used it a few times. I do think that it's value added (don't know about how you organize things, but I get the last 100 *albums* added, which is more than enough 'new music)

Someday I hope to use the Browse Artwork, as that will be the killer feature for the 770/Slimserver/Squeezebox juggernaut. However, the simple fact that it sorts by Album name and not Artist name makes the feature nice, in a gee-whiz sorta way, but close to zero utility for me. Who thinks to look under 'W' for The Beatles - White Album?

As for the favorites link, I can't comment on it because I haven't tested or even used the feature. Basically, I was trying to round out a 5x2 grid of icons to make it look slick. I'll add testing that link/feature to the TODO list.

I'm kind of bummed that I haven't been able to give a more consistent 770skin format to the pages served by plugins instead of templates (favorites, random mix), but that seems to be an architectural hurdle not simple to overcome.

Also, if anyone has any insight on how to make the output of search results not look horrible, I'm all ears.

Nice idea on the remote streaming from Starbucks. Very cool. That dang 'ol internet sure is something.

cheers,
#!/ben

Triode
2006-01-12, 15:46
However, the simple fact that it sorts by Album name and not Artist name makes the feature nice, in a gee-whiz sorta way, but close to zero utility for me. Who thinks to look under 'W' for The Beatles - White Album?

Totally agree with this, bug 305. I think (from the bug and a quick look at the code) that adding an option for artwork to be sorted by artist would be quite easy. I was thinking of looking at it. Does an option which just sorts by artist or album seem reasonable [as an option for the whole server]?

bklaas
2006-01-12, 16:00
In an ideal world it would be, in SQLeze:
select * from album order by artist, album;

actually, in an *ideal* world, it would be 'order by artist, year', but there's no way I'm trying to taking on that ID3 tagging project...I think I have a valid year tag in about 3% of my collection.

cheers,
#!/ben

MrC
2006-01-13, 19:13
Hi Ben,

Here's another stab at glowing icons. The normal icon is flat, when the mouse is over the icon it glows, and when depressed, it embeds into the page.

Add the 3 icons to your images folder, and replace your menu.html file.

I see that the Nokia has a scroll key and a stylus. How are the icons selected on this device? With the stylus only? If so, what happens when the item is selected (is that the same as a mouseclick, or a mouseover?). I'm not sure what events are generated with the various actions.

Anyway, let me know if you think these are getting closer to what you might have in mind, or if I'm way off.

I've avoided color, because the entire skin is greyscale, with the exception of the depressed statistics icon.

mwphoto
2006-01-14, 01:12
Hi All,

just recieved my Nokia 770 and I'm playing with the skin - great work.

I have some questions/suggestions I hope people can help with.

1) Is the latest version in SVN or available from the website? I want to keep up to date with the latest (I have latest SVN)

2) I love the 800x480 but on windows that scroll it would be helpful if we were 780x480 so the right hand scroll bar doesn't trigger a bottom scrollbar.

3) I'm thinking I might like to create a skin that fits in a non-full screen version of the browser - would anyone be interested?

4) These are a bit off topic for the skin but other 770 users might like to comment:

a) I've noticed the setting for toolbar-off in fullscreen mode doesn't persist. If I reboot the 770 the toolbar is back in fullscreen mode. Does this happen for anyone else?

b) overall browsing seems a bit buggy - I've had a couple of crashes and sometimes it gets into a state where the browser won't start.

Cheers.

Malcolm

BTW I have the slimserver page linked from the homepage. I've attached the logo I used.

wei
2006-01-14, 12:39
I second your suggestions. As for your question on 770, try update it with the latest Nokia 770 software (available in the Europe site for a while, and just become available in the US site). The performance and stability seem to improve quite a bit.

Hi All,

1) Is the latest version in SVN or available from the website? I want to keep up to date with the latest (I have latest SVN)

2) I love the 800x480 but on windows that scroll it would be helpful if we were 780x480 so the right hand scroll bar doesn't trigger a bottom scrollbar.

3) I'm thinking I might like to create a skin that fits in a non-full screen version of the browser - would anyone be interested?

4) These are a bit off topic for the skin but other 770 users might like to comment:

a) I've noticed the setting for toolbar-off in fullscreen mode doesn't persist. If I reboot the 770 the toolbar is back in fullscreen mode. Does this happen for anyone else?

b) overall browsing seems a bit buggy - I've had a couple of crashes and sometimes it gets into a state where the browser won't start.

Cheers.

Malcolm

BTW I have the slimserver page linked from the homepage. I've attached the logo I used.

bklaas
2006-01-14, 13:12
Hi Ben,

Here's another stab at glowing icons. The normal icon is flat, when the mouse is over the icon it glows, and when depressed, it embeds into the page.

Add the 3 icons to your images folder, and replace your menu.html file.

I see that the Nokia has a scroll key and a stylus. How are the icons selected on this device? With the stylus only? If so, what happens when the item is selected (is that the same as a mouseclick, or a mouseover?). I'm not sure what events are generated with the various actions.

Anyway, let me know if you think these are getting closer to what you might have in mind, or if I'm way off.

I've avoided color, because the entire skin is greyscale, with the exception of the depressed statistics icon.

thanks again for the work MrC! I did an edit of menu_home_active.gif and removed the emboss effect. Basically, you are left with a glow effect on a flat icon, which is what I had envisioned. It's attached.

I'm going to give the other icons another shot, so you may want to hold off for now on spending more time on this.

Also, I don't think I was clear on the mouseOver stuff-- the Nokia 770 doesn't show any mouseOver effects, as there is no mouse. None. So what I'm going to be doing with these icons is display the 'active' icon for whatever page you are on. i.e., if you are at home, menu_home_active.gif shows up on the nav bar instead of menu_home.gif. No javascript effects, just html dynamically decided upon by the templates.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-14, 13:20
Hi All,

Cheers.

Malcolm

1. SVN is the most up-to-date. Go to HTML/Nokia770 and do an 'svn update' and you will get the up-to-the-second newest code.

2. Not as simple as it might seem, but I'll give that a shot. If I'm going to be changing the width of the div tag for different pages, I also want to make sure the nav bar icons aren't shifting around left and right...

3. I'm a 'fullscreen' guy, but more power to ya if there's demand for it...

a. correct, it's not sticky after reboot. Maybe we'll get an update from Nokia that makes that work.

b. I second what Wei said on this thread-- go get newer firmware and load it on. It's much more stable with the newer code (also, you won't need to worry about a., since you shouldn't really need to reboot it...just keep it in standby)

cheers,
#!/ben

Triode
2006-01-14, 13:37
In an ideal world it would be, in SQLeze:
select * from album order by artist, album;

Ben - see thread on dev forum re sorting album art - let me know what the patch looks like to you.

MrC
2006-01-14, 17:32
thanks again for the work MrC! I did an edit of menu_home_active.gif and removed the emboss effect. Basically, you are left with a glow effect on a flat icon, which is what I had envisioned. It's attached.

I'm going to give the other icons another shot, so you may want to hold off for now on spending more time on this.

Cool, no problem. If you get bored by that activity, I have the effects already setup in photoshop, and just have to import the other icons and apply the style affects to get the glow. Let me know if you want me to do it.

Also, I don't think I was clear on the mouseOver stuff-- the Nokia 770 doesn't show any mouseOver effects, as there is no mouse. None.

Yeah, i understood that, but though that little scroll rocker thingy might allow selection of widgets or buttons on the screen, similarly the way that Tab does in IE.

So what I'm going to be doing with these icons is display the 'active' icon for whatever page you are on. i.e., if you are at home, menu_home_active.gif shows up on the nav bar instead of menu_home.gif. No javascript effects, just html dynamically decided upon by the templates.

I'm cool with whatever you device. Its such a nice skin, that I use it in Windows, and thought the mouseover affects would be cool. If the could remain and not hinder operation on the Nokia, that would be sweet. Your skin == your call ! :-)

Thanks,
MrC

mwphoto
2006-01-16, 02:08
Hi All,

I've just fixed up home.html in Nokia 700 skin to specify image width and height for all the images. This makes it much more pleasant and faster on first use because:

1) it doesn't redraw as it downloads the images

2) because of 1 the final image appears quicker

If you use the skin on a modern PC you'll never notice the redraw but on the Nokia 770 itself it's quite apparent. This should probably be done across the entire .html set. I've attached a revised home.html for anyone that's insterested.

Malcolm

PS still working on a 780 width version ;)

mwphoto
2006-01-16, 03:57
Hi,

Just a quick question - is there a Nokia770 skin page for Random mix? The SVN version seems to be from the default skin. I'd be happy to help convert this page, but I don't want to waste my time if someone else has already done it.

Malcolm

bklaas
2006-01-16, 08:33
Malcolm-- thanks for the patch to home.html. I hadn't realized I didn't have width/height tags on the home img tags. I tested it, then checked in your revision a few minutes ago.

I have some ideas on the 780 vs 800 width thing. I'm going to test them out today and see how it works.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-16, 08:39
Hi,

Just a quick question - is there a Nokia770 skin page for Random mix? The SVN version seems to be from the default skin. I'd be happy to help convert this page, but I don't want to waste my time if someone else has already done it.

Malcolm

No, and there can't be. Random mix, as well as Favorites, as well as any of the available internet radio links (Shoutcast, radioio, live365), are all served by slimserver plugins, not by skin template files. Therefore, the best I can hope to do is make them look a bit more '770 skin like' through creative use of CSS. Barring some architectural changes to slimserver, I very much doubt that any of these pages will ever have a true Nokia770 look-and-feel. Sorry.

I've posted this before, but my to-do list for the skin is publicly viewable--
you can even subscribe to an RSS feed to see what gets added/removed/updated...

#!/ben

mherger
2006-01-16, 08:51
>> Just a quick question - is there a Nokia770 skin page for Random mix?
>
> No, and there can't be.

Of course there can! You could create Nokia770 specific templates for
those plugins. There's already been a request today for this.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20096

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

mwphoto
2006-01-16, 09:03
Hi Ben,

Actually is should be posible to skin the plugins as well, although I can't get this to work yet. Michael Herger on the developers forums said:

QUOTE:

Copy Plugins/RandomPlay/HTML/EN to Plugins/RandomPlay/HTML/Nokia770 and change it to your likings.

However I've tried this and it didn't seem to work for me - I'm not sure if anyone has ever tried to skin a plugin, so it might just be broken. However this is part of the skinning system design so if it doesn't work it should be raised as a bug. I'll spend some more time on it later.

Malcolm

kdf
2006-01-16, 10:04
Michael Herger wrote:
>>> Just a quick question - is there a Nokia770 skin page for Random mix?
>>
>> No, and there can't be.
>
> Of course there can! You could create Nokia770 specific templates for
> those plugins. There's already been a request today for this.
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20096

with 6.5, it should not be necessary to create custom pages for every
plugin. Making proper use of cmdwrappers should alow a plugin o conform
to a skins look and feel without needing custom templates.

-kdf

bklaas
2006-01-16, 12:46
Michael Herger wrote:
>>> Just a quick question - is there a Nokia770 skin page for Random mix?
>>
>> No, and there can't be.
>
> Of course there can! You could create Nokia770 specific templates for
> those plugins. There's already been a request today for this.
>
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20096

with 6.5, it should not be necessary to create custom pages for every
plugin. Making proper use of cmdwrappers should alow a plugin o conform
to a skins look and feel without needing custom templates.

-kdf

Hmmmm...great in theory, but somehow I think this is going to be problematic in the Nokia770 skin. For example, I expect any page within the skin to PROCESS pageheader.html and menu.html. How would you do that using cmdwrappers? I'm already using cmdwrappers to create my browse and playlist controls (pirated that from your skin, kdf), but I'm not sure how I see cmdwrappers providing the higher level support for processing the page formatting. Maybe I'm missing something...
#!/ben

kdf
2006-01-16, 12:59
Quoting bklaas <bklaas.21qthb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> kdf Wrote:
>> Michael Herger wrote:
>> >>> Just a quick question - is there a Nokia770 skin page for Random
>> mix?
>> >>
>> >> No, and there can't be.
>> >
>> > Of course there can! You could create Nokia770 specific templates for
>>
>> > those plugins. There's already been a request today for this.
>> >
>> > http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20096
>>
>> with 6.5, it should not be necessary to create custom pages for every
>> plugin. Making proper use of cmdwrappers should alow a plugin o
>> conform
>> to a skins look and feel without needing custom templates.
>>
>> -kdf
>
> Hmmmm...great in theory, but somehow I think this is going to be
> problematic in the Nokia770 skin. For example, I expect any page within
> the skin to PROCESS pageheader.html and menu.html. How would you do that
> using cmdwrappers? I'm already using cmdwrappers to create my browse and
> playlist controls (pirated that from your skin, kdf), but I'm not sure
> how I see cmdwrappers providing the higher level support for processing
> the page formatting. Maybe I'm missing something...

the plugin pages should process pageheader.html already. You could
have your pagehead process menu.html so that it is available to any
plugin, or have cmdwrappers process menu.html where needed inside the
contentcontainer. cmdwrappers is loaded by a PREPROCESS in the
slimserver web server, so it should be possible.

-kdf

kdf
2006-01-16, 13:05
I'm also not sure what exactly is missing. With the patch that I
provided in the dev forum, you should be able to see a nokia770-like
versino of random and favourites already. You just have to make more
use of [% webroot %] instead of making those urls absolute. An
absolute href will break the skinoverride in urls. Anyone with the
default (or any other skin) as their pref, would see the pref skin.
The patch lets the server point to the right place in all cases.

-kdf

bklaas
2006-01-16, 13:10
spot on as usual, KDF!

I'm making the necessary changes to all of the pages and will update svn in a few minutes.

This will give plugin-fed pages the top nav bar and player chooser.

One remaining inconsistency is that I want the playlist controls to show up on the left, not the right of each table row (left is the convention throughout the skin, and IMO for good readson). I'm pretty sure that would have to happen via a custom skin for the plugins, but it's a minor point compared to getting the nav bar up there...thanks for the pointer, KDF.

another minor point on those pages...no footer.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-16, 13:18
I'm also not sure what exactly is missing. With the patch that I
provided in the dev forum, you should be able to see a nokia770-like
versino of random and favourites already. You just have to make more
use of [% webroot %] instead of making those urls absolute. An
absolute href will break the skinoverride in urls. Anyone with the
default (or any other skin) as their pref, would see the pref skin.
The patch lets the server point to the right place in all cases.

-kdf

My checkins of a few minutes ago should clear up everything. If you have the time, do an update and verify.

Also, hadn't update my svn tree on Nokia770, so I wasn't using the new cmdwrappers you checked in (didn't realize anyone else was checking in things)...

anyway, looks pretty good to me now...

#!/ben

Richie
2006-01-16, 13:34
> Also, hadn't update my svn tree on Nokia770, so I wasn't using the new
> cmdwrappers you checked in (didn't realize anyone else was checking in
> things)...
>
> anyway, looks pretty good to me now...
>
> #!/ben
>
Ben,

Would it be possible to have an 'I' button for each track in the
playlist, just like fishbone? This would be a great help when I want
information on a track in a random playlist that isn't the currently
playing track.

Thanks for the excellent work on this skin, it's turned my 770 into
the perfect squeezebox remote.

Richard

kdf
2006-01-16, 13:41
Quoting bklaas <bklaas.21quvb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> spot on as usual, KDF!
>
> I'm making the necessary changes to all of the pages and will update
> svn in a few minutes.

I saw the checkin, and it looks good from viewing that. I can't update
until later.

> One remaining inconsistency is that I want the playlist controls to
> show up on the left, not the right of each table row (left is the
> convention throughout the skin, and IMO for good readson). I'm pretty
> sure that would have to happen via a custom skin for the plugins, but
> it's a minor point compared to getting the nav bar up there...thanks
> for the pointer, KDF.

The contentitem object in cmdwrappers should allow you to set the
controls wherever you like. It all depends on where in the [% BLOCK
contentitem -%] that you PROCESS the controls. Check Moser and Default
skin for examples. You can just move it to before the [% content %]
section. To make it work originally, I just pasted from Default so
that the plugins woudln't be completely wrecked. There are some minor
errors that have to be cleaned up. What you probably want is more like
this:

[% BLOCK contentitem -%]
<tr><td class="listing" align="left">
[% IF controls %]
<div class="browsedbControls">
[%- PROCESS $controls %][% ELSE %]<td></td><td></td>[% END %]
</div></td>
<td class="listing" align="left">
[%- IF anchor %]
<a name="[% anchor %]"></a>
[%- END %]

<div class="[% lineclass || 'browsedbListItem' %]">

[%- content | indent(4) %]
</td>
</tr>
[%- END %]

It isn't perfect, but it will do until a more complete move from tables
to css is done.

-kdf

-kdf

kdf
2006-01-16, 13:44
Quoting bklaas <bklaas.21quvb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Also, hadn't update my svn tree on Nokia770, so I wasn't using the new
> cmdwrappers you checked in (didn't realize anyone else was checking in
> things)...

yes, sorry about that. Being as active as you are on this skin right
now, I'd normally have posted a note and left it for you. however, in
this case I felt it was best to make sure it went in with the plugin
changes so that we didn't have a nightly build that generated a
crazy-looking page, and consequently dozens of complaints when the
nightly came out.

-kdf

bklaas
2006-01-16, 13:47
Ben,

Would it be possible to have an 'I' button for each track in the
playlist, just like fishbone? This would be a great help when I want
information on a track in a random playlist that isn't the currently
playing track.

Thanks for the excellent work on this skin, it's turned my 770 into
the perfect squeezebox remote.

Richard

'I' button was replaced by hyperlinking all track names to the info page. Just click on the song title and you'll get what you're asking for...
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-16, 14:02
KDF--something's not functioning right. I'm getting the impression that the contentcontainer and contentitem BLOCKs in cmdwrappers are being ignored...

this is what I have (contentitem changed per your last post)
nothing I do effects the presentation of the page in any way.

[% BLOCK contentcontainer %]
<table border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" width="100%">

</table>
[%- END %]

[% BLOCK contentitem -%]
<tr>
[% IF controls %]
<div class="browsedbControls">
[%- PROCESS $controls %][% ELSE %]<td></td><td></td>[% END %]
</div></td>
[%- IF anchor %]
[%- END %]

<div class="[% lineclass || 'browsedbListItem' %]">

</td>
</tr>
[%- END %]

Richie
2006-01-16, 14:31
> 'I' button was replaced by hyperlinking all track names to the info
> page. Just click on the song title and you'll get what you're asking
> for...
> #!/ben

Thanks, I hadn't realised that.

Richard

kdf
2006-01-16, 15:01
Quoting bklaas <bklaas.21qx6n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> A poll associated with this post was created, to vote and see the
> results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19369
> Question: Do you have a 770?
>
> - Got it
> - Want it
> - Need it
> - Forget it
>
> KDF--something's not functioning right. I'm getting the impression that
> the contentcontainer and contentitem BLOCKs in cmdwrappers are being
> ignored...

I may have had an error in there (wasn't tested after all). Run from
command line and usually anything wrong results in dumps to the screen.
Things like missing [% END %]'s can do this. A bad edit will
generate an error, but might still revert to the cached version and
show as unchanged.

=-k

kdf
2006-01-16, 15:16
this is what I have (contentitem changed per your last post)
nothing I do effects the presentation of the page in any way.

That does seemn to work. But, I had to get rid of the cached pages in Cache/templates in order to get the change right away. I sitll don't understand TT caching.
-k

kdf
2006-01-16, 19:09
another attachment to handle the randomplay plugin using cmdwrappers,
moving the controls to the left side of the page. I'll leave it to you
to decide on the exact layout that you like. This is mainly for an
example to show that the controls can be moved.

-kdf

Index: HTML/Nokia770/cmdwrappers
================================================== =================
--- HTML/Nokia770/cmdwrappers (revision 5667)
+++ HTML/Nokia770/cmdwrappers (working copy)
@@ -105,20 +105,17 @@
[%- END %]

[% BLOCK contentitem -%]
-<tr><td class="listing" align="left">
- [%- IF anchor %]
+<tr>[%- IF anchor %]
[%- END %]
-
- <div class="[% lineclass || 'browsedbListItem' %]">
-
- [%- content | indent(4) %]
+ [% IF controls %]<table><tr>
+ [%- PROCESS $controls %]
+ [% END %]
+
+ <td class="listing" align="left">
+ [%- content | indent(4) %]
</td>
- [% IF controls %]
- <div class="browsedbControls">
- [%- PROCESS $controls %][% END %]
- </div>
- </div>
+ [% IF controls %]</tr></table>[% END %]
</tr>
[%- END %]

raminf
2006-01-17, 17:05
Thanks Victor. If I have configuration issues, are there many "iSlim" users out there I can count on to provide help in the threads?I store my music on a NAS box. I started off running the Slimserver on a Mac Mini running OS-X 10.4 with 1GB RAM. The server would stop and hiccup everytime I did something CPU intensive like a big file copy or a compile. I finally got fed up and moved the slimserver to an unused old Windows box. Works fine now. For what it's worth...

relen
2006-01-18, 03:06
My player pull-down menu has three players in it, and defaults to the first in the list. If I want to get the second on the list (for example) to play something and I select it in the pull-down, then go to Search to find an album, say, then select the found album, I find that it has also re-selected the first player in the list. If I now select the correct player in the pull-down, I of course see that player's current status and have lost my search result.

If I do the same thing with a browse mode, the correct player remains selected throughout.

Any way around this problem?

Thanks for a brilliant skin!

--Richard E

bklaas
2006-01-18, 07:09
My player pull-down menu has three players in it, and defaults to the first in the list. If I want to get the second on the list (for example) to play something and I select it in the pull-down, then go to Search to find an album, say, then select the found album, I find that it has also re-selected the first player in the list. If I now select the correct player in the pull-down, I of course see that player's current status and have lost my search result.

If I do the same thing with a browse mode, the correct player remains selected throughout.

Any way around this problem?

Thanks for a brilliant skin!

--Richard E
I saw that a few days ago. Haven't had a chance to look at it, but it's on my list (last item)--

cheers
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-20, 09:54
I wrote up some wiki docs on using the 770 as a slimserver controller. Enjoy!
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimserverAndNokia770

Ever happy to tout the awesomeness that is Slimdevices, I put a wiki page on the 770 site internettablettalk that encourages people to use Slimserver, and maybe even buy a squeezebox...
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wiki/index.php/SlimserverAndNokia770

And, why not, a forum post over there too...
http://www.internettablettalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7899

(note: FYI, I may be disappearing for a few days to a couple weeks in short order. My second kid is due any day...skin development takes a back burner to that...)

#!/ben

Richie
2006-01-20, 10:07
> (note: FYI, I may be disappearing for a few days to a couple weeks in
> short order. My second kid is due any day...skin development takes a
> back burner to that...)

Well I think you deserve a break, although I don't think you'll be
getting much rest :)

Thanks for all the great work on this skin, it's made using the 770
almost perfect for me.

Richard

Michaelwagner
2006-01-20, 10:53
My second kid is due any day
Really? Judging by your picture, you're barely a kid yourself!

Enjoy. Get lots of sleep now :-)

relen
2006-01-20, 15:58
...or not...

Any idea why I can't read the wiki page on the N770 on my N770?? :-)

--Richard E

bklaas
2006-01-20, 17:15
Dunno...wiki page renders okay on mine. The 770 screenshots look ginormous, but that's to be expected since they are fullscreen screenshots from the same device.
#!/ben

jimmy100
2006-01-21, 03:42
Nothing particularly constructive to add to this thread, I just wanted to express my thanks to Ben and everyone else who has worked on this skin. I bought the 770 primarily as a squeezebox controller, and this skin is perfect for the job. Ben should be charging nokia royalties.

On a side note - have any of the Slimdevices team seen a 770 up and running controlling a SB? If not make it a priority. I honestly think this is a partnership made in heaven - once I get back home (I live in the uk, but I'm currently working in New York), I intend to post a picture to the thread in the audiophiles forum of me browsing album art in front of my AV setup. Having hosted several parties over xmas/new year, I've already agreed to function as AV advisors for several of my aquaintances who want in on the act - they'll all have sb3s before too long. The squeezeboxes are of course essential - at the moment the N770 is still a luxury - although I really hope that nokia have created a new genre of portable devices - ubiquitous wifi (wimax) and 3G phones will eventually negate the need for large amounts of local storage (e.g. 20/40/60Gb Ipods), we'll all be pulling our music to portable devices from our own home servers - hopefully with slimserver. I've seen the future - and it's open source!

Enough rambling - thanks again Ben, my only complaint is that this thing is too addictive - it's antisocial. Quote from me on New Years eve "ok folks - hit 'next' if it's urgent, 'add' if it isn't. Hit 'play' and you get a slap - it's a jukebox not your stereo.". This is when I wasn't queueing up crowd pleasers with N770 stylus.

Jimmy.

relen
2006-01-21, 04:55
Must agree totally with Jimmy on this. I too am extremely grateful to Ben and everyone else who has put all this effort into the skin. I too got the 770 as a slimserver remote (though I use it for all kinds of other things) and without this skin it would be a lot less effective.

Working as I do for a high-end consumer audio manufacturer, I think what we have here is a serious competitor to the likes of Sonos and the hardware media server manufacturers like Imerge and Escient. In its present form it will not appeal to the people who want a consumery box and not a computer in the back room, but I think there is enormous licensing potential here, eg for someone to license the server, put it on a nice-looking silent Linux box with a CD drive in it talking to Sound Juicer and some added-value scripts to aid ripping, tagging and artwork acquisition, plus badged SB3s and 770 controllers - and offer a killer system.

I am extremely happy - nay honored - to have access to such a cool system.

--Richard E

mattg
2006-01-21, 10:51
Yet another person who bought a Nokia 770 to use as a SlimServer remote chiming in. Thanks Ben for the great skin.

I do have a question. In the default SlimServer skin there are ON/OFF buttons. I don't see them in the Nokia skin. SlimServer will turn on my Squeezebox when I start playing music, but it won't turn on my amp via the IR blaster unless I click the ON button. Is there a way to get my amp to come on when using the Nokia skin?

bklaas
2006-01-21, 12:37
on/off feature is on my to-do list.

Thanks for all the kudos...much appreciated.

I think there's still a lot of potential improvement in the interface...some of this will come from enhancements to the skin (ajax/DOM refresh on the now playing page replacing the full page refresh will be huge), some of it from Nokia improvements (let's be honest, even with the newest firmware it could be a wee bit snappier). Looking forward to watching/helping this progress.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-22, 16:03
checked in today:

cleanup of browse artwork table code. this feature should work better now, although I'm still struggling with getting the new sort-by-artist feature to work (see server settings->interface).
The new skin code for this renders 6 covers per row. If you set the number of browse items per page (see server settings->interface) to *12*, you will see the browse by artwork in as-good-as-it's-going-to-get-right-now mode.

better icon for 'no cover art'

Player ON/OFF is available in lower right of most pages now.

Set page width to 778px on all pages that often have pagination (and thus a 20px vertical scrollbar). Left home, search, and now playing at 800px; those pages should never paginate.

cheers,
#!/ben

wiped
2006-01-23, 06:34
Nice work with the skin!!
However i'm missing one crucial thing that i use all the time, that is browsing albums by year. I have browsed trough the thread and i see that bklaas has mentioned that 3% of his tracks have the year tag entered so i would assume that is the reason for it it missing..?

I've not tested the latest versions but from the screenshots of the first page it looks like it's still missing.

What i'm interested in is a icon for YEAR on the first page, and then listing of all years, where if you select a specific year you get the albums, either by artist or alphabetically. Perhaps this is not used that much since i've not seen anyone else missing it, but for me it's great to be able to add either all albums from a year or be able to browse trough all albums from e.g. 2005.

Triode
2006-01-23, 11:26
I'm still struggling with getting the new sort-by-artist feature to work (see server settings->interface).

The sort order is implemented as a "sort" parameter on the albumart url. The preference code simply changes the url put on the home page of common skins. I've not looked at how you do your skin - is it possible to make the home page icon call the url which is added to the normal home page?

wiped: you could try a browse coverart with &sort=year,artist,album appended to the url - this should order the albums by year. [Don't think the skin displays the year though?]

[still working on the page bar issue which occurs if you have albums with various artists]

bklaas
2006-01-23, 14:38
The sort order is implemented as a "sort" parameter on the albumart url. The preference code simply changes the url put on the home page of common skins. I've not looked at how you do your skin - is it possible to make the home page icon call the url which is added to the normal home page.

thanks, Triode-- worked like a charm. Sometimes those template vars, in this case [% additionalLinks.browse.BROWSE_BY_ARTWORK %], aren't so obvious...

one issue, but I'm going to spare everyone on this thread and post it to your dev thread on this feature.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-23, 14:53
Nice work with the skin!!
However i'm missing one crucial thing that i use all the time, that is browsing albums by year. I have browsed trough the thread and i see that bklaas has mentioned that 3% of his tracks have the year tag entered so i would assume that is the reason for it it missing..?

I've not tested the latest versions but from the screenshots of the first page it looks like it's still missing.

What i'm interested in is a icon for YEAR on the first page, and then listing of all years, where if you select a specific year you get the albums, either by artist or alphabetically. Perhaps this is not used that much since i've not seen anyone else missing it, but for me it's great to be able to add either all albums from a year or be able to browse trough all albums from e.g. 2005.

Honestly, I don't see YEAR going in there unless there's popular demand for it. I also find GENRE useless, but there was significant interest in that one being there, so I included it. If there's significant interest in browse-by-year, I'm not opposed to it going in. An icon would have to be removed for it to fit in the 2x5 grid, though. That would probably be statistics, which used to be in the footer. I would also need someone to provide an icon for year that conforms to the style of the rest.

"feature rich" and "clean design" are sometimes in conflict. For this effort, clean design usually wins.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-01-23, 16:20
FYI-- a nice set of checkins today...recommend you update your checkout or grab the Jan 24 daily for this.

-- Search results output look great now (they were an abomination before)
-- Fixed link for browse-by-artwork to allow for different sort orders (change your preferences on Server settings->Interface)
-- the add '+' link now sends you to playlist instead of now playing

plus all the goodies from yesterday.

cheers,
#!/ben

MrC
2006-01-23, 16:38
Looking better and better!

I have a couple of suggestions/considerations for the search page.

1) Why not do away with the Search button altogether, and make the Songs, Artists, Albums buttons perform the actual search when pressed.

2) If not #1 above, the circle should also activate the search criteria, not just the Songs, Artists, Albums buttons.

3) The order of the 2nd and 3rd rows should probably be reversed. If you are going to enter your search phrase, the next thing you would do moving down the page is to select the criteria, the finally you would hit the do-it button.

4) Why have the dots at all - why not use a consistent style like your glowing icons?

Again, nice work Ben!

ps. I was sorry to see the mouseovers dissappear, but then I can understand your reasonsing.

bklaas
2006-01-23, 19:14
Looking better and better!

I have a couple of suggestions/considerations for the search page.

1) Why not do away with the Search button altogether, and make the Songs, Artists, Albums buttons perform the actual search when pressed.

2) If not #1 above, the circle should also activate the search criteria, not just the Songs, Artists, Albums buttons.

3) The order of the 2nd and 3rd rows should probably be reversed. If you are going to enter your search phrase, the next thing you would do moving down the page is to select the criteria, the finally you would hit the do-it button.

4) Why have the dots at all - why not use a consistent style like your glowing icons?

Again, nice work Ben!

ps. I was sorry to see the mouseovers dissappear, but then I can understand your reasonsing.

1) Like it. Adding it to the to-do list

2) see 1)

3) see 1)

4) agreed. down with dots! I'll do something nifty with css, which renders the current buttons, to make this better. FWIW, the dots are a holdover from the Touch skin, which served as the base code for the Nokia770 skin.

ps. agreed.

cheers,
#!/ben

vikmurthy
2006-01-23, 20:43
Ben and others,

It goes without saying that many of us are hugely indebted to you for all of your hard work and thoughtful feature modification. Again, I offer my heartfelt thanks.

Feel free to ignore this feature request if it is too cumbersome or if it creates too much clutter or if it is something that most would find stupid.

I was browsing through my entire music collection today using my Nokia 770 and your exceptional 770 skin. In the process of browsing, I would come across a song that tickled my fancy and would add it to the current playlist. One thing that would have made this process easier would have been to have the top menu commands (page 1 - X, next, back) also available as links on the bottom of the page. This would have precluded having to scroll all the way back to the top of a long list of songs with the stylus after having worked my way all the bottom of the list.

Cheers,

Vik

bklaas
2006-01-23, 21:13
Ben and others,

It goes without saying that many of us are hugely indebted to you for all of your hard work and thoughtful feature modification. Again, I offer my heartfelt thanks.

Feel free to ignore this feature request if it is too cumbersome or if it creates too much clutter or if it is something that most would find stupid.

I was browsing through my entire music collection today using my Nokia 770 and your exceptional 770 skin. In the process of browsing, I would come across a song that tickled my fancy and would add it to the current playlist. One thing that would have made this process easier would have been to have the top menu commands (page 1 - X, next, back) also available as links on the bottom of the page. This would have precluded having to scroll all the way back to the top of a long list of songs with the stylus after having worked my way all the bottom of the list.

Cheers,

Vik

flattery will get you everywhere. done, and checked in.
cheers,
#!/ben

relen
2006-01-24, 15:26
...that I hope may be useful.

I'm running Jan24 6.5... this is, however, the first time for a week or so I have been able to sit down with the unit and play with it, so some or even many of these items may already have been noted.

1. For some reason, when trying to browse artwork, the screen downloads about half the cover images and then crashes my 770. First the browser freezes and then the unit generally reboots (or needs one). Same thing happens whatever the sort order is for artwork: is there something in the page code upsetting it? Repeatable every time.

2. A 770 (not skin) curiousity: I have a username and password to access the server; pointing the Home Web Shortcut link at it looks very cool, but results in having to enter the username and pw, even though the URL is identical to the 'user:password@' one that works fine as a bookmark without having to enter the login manually.

3. As artwork thumbs download into the browser window (in Browse Artwork), the graphics placeholders open to the width of the alt text, which can be quite long, thus making a mess of the screen and making it difficult to select an album until all thumbnails have downloaded. I imagine there is no way around this, but I don't seem to remember it being a problem earlier...

4. Stylus slipped selecting the player from the pop-down on the Home page and maybe hit search - and suddenly I seem to be in Browse Genre... ?!

5. I assume I should be able to click on a search result and go to a detail page? I can't - eg I can't click an album name and go to the album page or click on an artist name and list their albums.

6. If I search for something and then want to choose a player to play a result on, I lose the result in selecting the player.

7. I have a blank line with a play and add button immediately under "all search results". Clicking "add" sends the device off to add what appears to be everything in the library! - from which it returns if you click something else. Oooops...! Indent on play/add "all search results" is less than other lines, incidentally.

8. In AlienBBC, the length of items in the list can be very short, so you have to be careful which play or add button you click. Leader dots between name and buttons would be nice.

9. On occasion (eg deep in AlienBBC) it would be nice to be able to back out one level without having to go all the way to the top or dropping out of full-screen and hitting the back button.

10. Long album names in the "Now playing" window push the window width out to the right: wrapping them would be helpful, if possible.

11. From home, clicked Artist; selected a letter; scrolled down to desired artist, clicked artist; on the next screen clicked an album title; on the next screen clicked Play on a track: crashed the 770 which rebooted. Didn't happen the following time though.

Hope these help...

--Richard E

bklaas
2006-01-24, 15:47
hi Richard-

thanks for the feedback!

I'll go through them one-by-one, but this is my catch-all response to every point that involved a 770 crash: what firmware are you using on it? You should flash to the newest 770 software, which has significant fixes regarding memory management and crashes.

3. I hadn't thought that it was the alt text that was doing that...I've noticed that until the browse by cover art page completely loads it goes through a lot of layout machinations. If it's long alt text that's screwing it up, maybe I need to reduce the alt text down to a small fixed string. Alt text doesn't add much value on the 770 anyway...

4. I've seen that too. There's some munged links in some of the skin that are causing the browser to go to 'browse by genre'. It's a bug that I'll try to address soon.

5. That's a brand-spankin-new bug brought on by the deprecation of [% browse_list %] (except for the bug, this is a good thing). I need to fix it...surprised someone caught it that quick...

6. Yep. Bug. You're good.

7. That I'm not seeing...try tomorrow's daily or update your svn and let me know if you're still seeing it.

8, 9. Haven't touched AlienBBC and don't have it currently configured on my server. If you can post a screenshot of what you're talking about I could at least know where to start...

10. that'll be an easy fix, though it will cause the page to paginate down, which is something I was trying to avoid on 'now playing'. I suppose that's better than scrolling off the screen though...

cheers,
#!/ben

Neil Sleightholm
2006-01-24, 16:00
8, 9. Haven't touched AlienBBC and don't have it currently configured on my server. If you can post a screenshot of what you're talking about I could at least know where to start...Ben, I have an interest in getting AlienBBC to look right on the 770 but a good starting place is the radioIO link. I have based my changes to AlienBBC on the radioIO page and neither display ideally at the moment. The AlienBBC web page has changed quite a bit recently and hasn't been released yet so it wouldn't be worth looking at just yet.

Neil

relen
2006-01-24, 16:11
I'm running 3.2005.51-13 which was current last time I looked, but will check...

#3: It certainly looks like it's the alt text length; will try and confirm.

I'll check out #7 tomorrow with any luck and report back - if it's real, it's quite scary :-);

Actually #8 and #9 are not really AlienBBC-specific:

#8: In any case where there is a list down the left hand edge of the screen with short names that don't extend across very far, and the play/add buttons are on the far right with blank empty gray screen space between the two, you can click a button on the wrong line by mistake. When a page can display like this, a line of leader dots - actually, better, alternating light/dark gray stripes across the screen - would help make sure you never clicked the wrong row.

#9: There are several occasions when I have wished for a back button - when I want to go back one level and the only way I can do it is to exit full-screen, click back, re-enter full-screen, or go back to the top and start again. A tiny little triangle in the top or bottom left corner that acted as a back button would be sufficient - like the "activate now" corner of a screen saver...

More observations when I get another evening...

--Richard E

bklaas
2006-01-24, 16:50
#8-- I have everything coded so play/add buttons are always on the left-hand side of the screen. This is to save people the grief of exactly what you're running into (I even had a lengthy discussion offline with a PersonOfImportance on that issue). It sounds like you aren't running a current version of the skin...

#9-- it took me a while to find this too, so don't feel stupid-- the hardware key on the 770 just below the up-down-left-right button, the one that looks like an arrow pointing back at itself, is "back". your welcome.

#!/ben

MrC
2006-01-24, 19:25
Hey Ben,

I modified the home page to group the buttons in an order that made more sense to me. I thought browsing-related icons should be grouped on the first row, and secondary things on the next row.

What do you think?

-MrC

relen
2006-01-25, 03:32
#8-- I have everything coded so play/add buttons are always on the left-hand side of the screen. This is to save people the grief of exactly what you're running into (I even had a lengthy discussion offline with a PersonOfImportance on that issue). It sounds like you aren't running a current version of the skin...

I'm running the version that came with Jan 24 6.5...

This isn't the case with AlienBBC (which is where I noticed it) though as you say, you haven't looked at that... but I think it appeared somewhere else too, in the main part of the operation. (I can't check until this evening.) Certainly it's fine most of the time.

#9-- it took me a while to find this too, so don't feel stupid-- the hardware key on the 770 just below the up-down-left-right button, the one that looks like an arrow pointing back at itself, is "back". your welcome.

Aaargh. Typical... I really haven't learned that button properly yet, because it doesn't always do anything. But yes, I do feel stupid... :-).

Thanks again for your GREAT work!

--Richard E

bklaas
2006-01-25, 08:47
Hey Ben,

I modified the home page to group the buttons in an order that made more sense to me. I thought browsing-related icons should be grouped on the first row, and secondary things on the next row.

What do you think?

-MrC

I'm going to have to say that the arrangement of icons on the home page is a "hack it on your machine if you want it different" thing. Everybody's going to feel differently about the arrangement of those icons (you're not the first to mention it)...in my case, I do the majority of my browsing via 'browse music folder', and intend to do a lot of 'browse by artwork' as that feature matures. That's why they are placed how they are, and as SupremeLeader of Nokia770, that's how they are going to be in the codebase.

What I may do in the future is code the template in a way that makes rearranging much easier for hackers. As you've discovered, it's kind of a pain cutting and pasting all of those table elements all over the place. Makes your head spin...

#!/ben

vikmurthy
2006-01-25, 15:24
I downloaded the Jan 25th nightly release of SlimServer 6.5 today to take advantage of the updated Nokia 770 skin, and now when I try to run SlimServer, all I get is a blank page in Internet Explorer (running on XP).

I tried uninstalling the Jan 25th release and installing the Jan 20th release, and still came away with the same problem. Ironically, reinstalling Slimserver 6.2.2 eliminates the problem (but then, I don't have use of the Nokia 770 skin).

Anybody else get this same problem? I'll try posting this on one of the Beta forums as well. I called Slim Devices directly and spoke with Kevin Pearsall, but he told me that he doesn't support 6.5 because it is still in beta. Grrr...

Dan Sully
2006-01-25, 15:32
* vikmurthy shaped the electrons to say...

>I tried uninstalling the Jan 25th release and installing the Jan 20th
>release, and still came away with the same problem. Ironically,
>reinstalling Slimserver 6.2.2 eliminates the problem (but then, I don't
>have use of the Nokia 770 skin).

I checked in a possible fix for this earlier today. It's available via SVN
right now, or in tonight's build. And yes - Kevin only has the ability (and
time) to support our released versions. 6.5 is marked beta for a reason!

Thanks

-D
--
<weezyl> $6.66: The Value Meal of the Beast.

kdf
2006-01-25, 16:08
Quoting Dan Sully <dan (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com>:

> * vikmurthy shaped the electrons to say...
>
>> I tried uninstalling the Jan 25th release and installing the Jan 20th
>> release, and still came away with the same problem. Ironically,
>> reinstalling Slimserver 6.2.2 eliminates the problem (but then, I don't
>> have use of the Nokia 770 skin).
>
> I checked in a possible fix for this earlier today. It's available via SVN
> right now, or in tonight's build. And yes - Kevin only has the ability (and
> time) to support our released versions. 6.5 is marked beta for a reason!

probably have to wait for the next compiled release tomorrow, though.
Updating the dll over today's build does not help.
-k

EnochLight
2006-01-26, 14:27
#!/ben,

I attempted to try 6.5 in order to test your skin on my PSP, but I had trouble getting 6.5 to run so I reverted back to 6.2.2.

Do you have any feeback of how it works on a PSP screen? As the PSP is not touch sensative, I realize those items may not work but...

Any feedback?

Cheers!

vikmurthy
2006-01-26, 17:42
Unfortunately, the problem I alluded to yesterday and referenced below still exists with the Jan 26th nightly build ... hopefully, the technical folks at Slim Devices are still working on this.

I downloaded the Jan 25th nightly release of SlimServer 6.5 today to take advantage of the updated Nokia 770 skin, and now when I try to run SlimServer, all I get is a blank page in Internet Explorer (running on XP).

I tried uninstalling the Jan 25th release and installing the Jan 20th release, and still came away with the same problem. Ironically, reinstalling Slimserver 6.2.2 eliminates the problem (but then, I don't have use of the Nokia 770 skin).

Anybody else get this same problem? I'll try posting this on one of the Beta forums as well. I called Slim Devices directly and spoke with Kevin Pearsall, but he told me that he doesn't support 6.5 because it is still in beta. Grrr...

MrC
2006-01-26, 18:15
Unfortunately, the problem I alluded to yesterday and referenced below still exists with the Jan 26th nightly build ... hopefully, the technical folks at Slim Devices are still working on this.

FYI. I just updated to the latest trunk version (svn 5862), and am not seeing any problems.

bklaas
2006-01-26, 19:13
#!/ben,

I attempted to try 6.5 in order to test your skin on my PSP, but I had trouble getting 6.5 to run so I reverted back to 6.2.2.

Do you have any feeback of how it works on a PSP screen? As the PSP is not touch sensative, I realize those items may not work but...

Any feedback?

Cheers!

None. I posted to a PSP thread a few weeks ago and no one seemed to be running 6.5 (rash generalization: PSP users = WinXP users = Problems with 6.5; 770 users = Linux/OSX users = 6.5 works fine).

I think the skin should work fine in a non-touchscreen environment, although I'm not sure the screen dimensions of the PSP will be quite right for the skin. Don't know until I hear from someone though...I'd be happy to test this if someone will send me a complimentary PSP! ;)

cheers,
#!/ben

EnochLight
2006-01-26, 21:17
I'd be happy to test this if someone will send me a complimentary PSP! ;)

cheers,
#!/ben

Heh... I thought about loaning you mine but I use it almost everyday at lunch. ;~) Hopefully 6.5 will work on XP soon so l can test your skin; it looks very cool!

bklaas
2006-01-27, 15:23
Honestly, I don't see YEAR going in there unless there's popular demand for it. I also find GENRE useless, but there was significant interest in that one being there, so I included it. If there's significant interest in browse-by-year, I'm not opposed to it going in. An icon would have to be removed for it to fit in the 2x5 grid, though. That would probably be statistics, which used to be in the footer. I would also need someone to provide an icon for year that conforms to the style of the rest.

"feature rich" and "clean design" are sometimes in conflict. For this effort, clean design usually wins.

cheers,
#!/ben

I checked in some changes to home.html today that makes hacking the order and makeup of the home icons very simple, if you so choose.

I like how they are now, but several people have expressed interest in them being layed out differently, as well as having BROWSE_BY_YEAR available. Edit the home_links BLOCK at the top of HTML/Nokia770/home.html to suit your needs. BROWSE_BY_YEAR is available now by adding a [% year %] to the BLOCK. I don't have a 'year' icon, so I just recycled the cryptic 'genre' icon...I don't know what that icon is trying to represent anyway...

If none of this makes sense to you...just leave it be...this is really much ado about nothing, just trying to be accomodating...

cheers,
#!/ben

gharris999
2006-01-27, 16:14
rash generalization: PSP users = WinXP users = Problems with 6.5; 770 users = Linux/OSX users = 6.5 works fine
That is rash! I'm on windows xp, 6.5 is working fine, I've got a 770 and I'm using your skin. I'm tempted to try and take this farther, say into "skin rash" territory, but I'm too knackered from an all day ripping session.

vikmurthy
2006-02-02, 14:07
Having been an early complainer on this board about the 6.5b Windows .EXE file not starting, I thought it only appropriate to thank the technical folks for remedying the problem. I downloaded the February 1 nightly build (Windows .EXE file) last night and, voila, I have my SlimServer back up and running. I now look forward to playing around with Ben's new and improved Nokia 770 skin. Thanks to all for their hard work.

RDaneel
2006-02-06, 09:43
Ben - thanks so much for all your continuing hard work. I don't even have my SB3 yet, or my Nokia 770, but your software is clearly what I want and have been hoping for for a long time!

Anyway, quick n00b question to the group - as someone with 6.2 running on my server now (though I haven't even put a SB3 on my network), so I simply uninstall it completely and download a daily .exe windows installer of 6.5b and run it? Is that all I need to do to get set up with 6.5 and Ben's skin? I'm just not clear if the 770 skin is preloaded and what I'll need to do to make it work on the 770 itself... Is there a FAQ or any setup tips? Sorry, I searched the forum and didn't find a good answer specific to the Nokia device...

Thanks!

bklaas
2006-02-06, 09:55
I think that should work. The one quirk that I saw switching from 6.2 to 6.5 (mind you, this was on a linux machine) was that the database schemas are not compatible with one another, and I had to make sure that my 6.2 db cache file was removed. I'm pretty sure doing an uninstall on windows will remove that file.

Once you install 6.5, you just need to point your browser to http://localhost:9000/Nokia770 (or, if you are on a different machine than your slimserver, replace localhost with the IP address of the server). The Nokia770 skin is part of the 6.5 distribution.

If there's Nokia770 skin users out there that use a Windows-based slimserver, feel free to pipe in your experiences with changing to 6.5.

cheers,
#!/ben

RDaneel
2006-02-06, 15:09
Awesome, Ben, thanks again. This skin is clearly the reason I'm buying a 770, and was a factor in the decision to go with the SB3 as well! All the Sonance folks should see this before paying for that "system"...

EnochLight
2006-02-06, 21:11
Awesome, Ben, thanks again. This skin is clearly the reason I'm buying a 770, and was a factor in the decision to go with the SB3 as well!

Yeah I've enjoyed this skin on my PSP and miss the fact that my PSP's screen isn't touch sensative. If I ever pick up a portable web device, it will be a 770. I'm just trying to justify spending that kind of cash on something that I will use 90% of the time as a remote for my Squeezebox!

Ahhh well, I could always drag a 770 instead of my PSP to a Panera Bread for Wi-Fi lunchtime fun... ;-)

RDaneel
2006-02-07, 14:36
I'm trying to track down an answer to a question posed by biomech on p.2 of this thread. He was having (using WinXP) 403 errors crop up on the 770 when trying to use the skin. After 3 hours of using the 770, I haven't been able to figure out a solution. So far I've just replaced the nokia web icon with a SB3 and installed 6.5, so I'm not doing too badly...

Any suggestions on fixing the 403 error that complains about the /cauth/ issue? Thanks!

atlslim
2006-02-07, 14:42
NONE

Server Settings>Security>CSRF Protection Level>None

and you're good to go!!

RDaneel
2006-02-07, 14:48
NONE

Server Settings>Security>CSRF Protection Level>None

and you're good to go!!

Sweet - thank you, I'll give it a shot as soon as I get home. Gotta love quick and accurate replies! ;)

alex_london
2006-02-07, 19:02
If there's Nokia770 skin users out there that use a Windows-based slimserver, feel free to pipe in your experiences with changing to 6.5.

cheers,
#!/ben

I'm using 6.5 AND 6.2.1 here... both on XP...

Have 6.2.1 installed as usual, but the service is set to "manual" (so I can start it when i want, e.g. if the current incarnation of 6.5 is too buggy).

I've also installed ActiveState Perl - pretty painless, if you ask me - and I download the Perlscripts version of 6.5, and extract to a different folder to my 6.2.1 install (e.g. C:\Program Files\SlimServer-beta\).

I've also overwritten the 6.5 "firmware" folder with the 6.2.1 folder, as I found firmware 29 not to agree with my wireless network, whereas 28 is fine. This also means that regardless which version I start, I don't have to run around my place updating the firmware on all my Squeezeboxes...

Because I didn't want to go through tweaking and re-configuring 6.5, I also copied the slimserver.pref file from 6.2.1 into my 6.5 install folder, and changed the cachedir value to the relevant path (so each installation has its own cachedir).

Now I can run either the service (6.2.1) or the perl version (6.5) - and there's no convoluted install/uninstall process when I download a new nightly: I just extract the ZIP into a temporary folder, then move all files/folders from there - except the "firmware" folder - into my SlimServer-beta folder. Next time I start the perl version, I'm running the new build...

Works for me (so far)!

Just my 2c (1.145p, actually)...

Alex

fcm4711
2006-02-09, 23:11
Hi Matt

I do have a question. In the default SlimServer skin there are ON/OFF buttons. I don't see them in the Nokia skin. SlimServer will turn on my Squeezebox when I start playing music, but it won't turn on my amp via the IR blaster unless I click the ON button. Is there a way to get my amp to come on when using the Nokia skin?

Please try the latest IR Blaster (v3.2). I've added support to better track the power state of SB. This should also resolve your problem.

Cheers
Felix

RDaneel
2006-02-10, 13:13
Whoa, the SB3 can be used as an IR blaster, too??? I didn't know that. THIS is interesting... I'll check out your software, Felix, thanks. Just found the Wiki on Slim about this...

bklaas
2006-02-14, 15:48
FYI--I just checked in a bunch of changes to start using CSS positioning for page layout. Among other things, this should alleviate wacky page rendering when you are playing tracks with immensely long titles (e.g., Fiona Apple's insanely long 'the pawn..' album, any rap track that involves the ubiquitous "featuring so-and-so" suffix, anything off of the David Cross "It's not Funny" album, etc.).

Also, a latent affect of this restructuring is that the skin should work better on Firefox than it has in the past.

My foray into CSS positioning has been a hair puller, but I think this is an improvement, and besides, it's a web standard, so it's gotta be good, eh? ;)

Next big one on my TO-DO is AJAX on the 'now playing' and 'playlist' pages, which will allow those pages to automatically refresh content without refreshing the whole page. That should keep me occupied for quite some time.

cheers,
#!/ben

EnochLight
2006-02-14, 16:55
Ben,

How do I get this latest change? Is it with the Slim Server beta nightly?

Cheers!

RDaneel
2006-02-14, 16:56
Thanks for the update, Ben! For standard 770 users, do you recommend moving to the new build? It seems like the real improvement will be with the AJAX update... I just don't like to mess around with different 6.5s once I have one working perfectly!

gharris999
2006-02-14, 18:41
Ummmmm....with svn 6251, I'm seeing nada with the 770 skin. Nothing...just a blank white page. That's with IE, firefox and with my 770. The html code fed to the browser is:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>
I know you're trying to create a kind of minimalist skin. But may I suggest that this might be taking things a tad too far?

kdf
2006-02-14, 19:14
On 14-Feb-06, at 5:41 PM, gharris999 wrote:
>
> Ummmmm....with svn 6251, I'm seeing nada with the 770 skin.
> Nothing...just a blank white page. That's with IE, firefox and with my
> 770. The html code fed to the browser is:
>
moser noticed the problem earlier. I am guessing ben is gone for the
night, so I've put in a quick fix (6252) to get it back to working
state and ben can change it to what he really wanted tomorrow.
-kdf

bklaas
2006-02-14, 19:18
replies to the last few posts:

1. yes, pick up the next nightly build that's made and it will have my changes

2. I would consider this a very non-essential 'upgrade'. The most notable improvement is with handling long track names on the 'now playing' page.

3. it's all good now (thanks, KDF). I had a page called footer.html that I'd added to the trunk but not committed. pagefooter.html is what I should have been using anyway. Do an svn update and it should work fine now.

vikmurthy
2006-02-17, 19:58
Ben,

This skin is really terrific -- the Search function allows me to maintain domestic bliss in my household since my wife often only knows the title of the song she wants to hear and not much else in terms of track information.

One thing I noticed today, which you may know already (and if so, feel free to ignore this e-mail), is that when you use the Optimized View on the Nokia 770, the Now Playing page of the skin does not render album art graphics properly. When the Optimized View is turned off, everything works fine.

I don't know if Ajax renders this minor issue moot, or if this is just endemic to the original Touch skin, but I wanted you to let you know about it (it's literally the very least I can do considering how much use and enjoyment I get from all of your hard work).

Cheers,

Vik

bklaas
2006-02-17, 21:33
interesting...I'd never seen the 'Optimized View' feature before...do you know what that feature is supposed to do (besides screwing up the rendering of the album art)?

cheers,
#!/ben

Richie
2006-02-18, 09:55
> interesting...I'd never seen the 'Optimized View' feature before...do
> you know what that feature is supposed to do (besides screwing up the
> rendering of the album art)?

This was cut and pasted from the Nokia 770 manual:

"To view the Web page in optimized size, select View > Optimized view.
The Web page is fit to the width of the screen; text and images are
zoomed and scaled differently is necessary."

I use it as it means I only have to scroll up and down when zoomed in.

I've been getting all sorts of weirdness with the display of artwork
on my 770 and hadn't realised this was the cause until it was
mentioned here. Turn it off and the artwork displays ok, turn it back
on and the artwork seems to come out at random sizes. I hope it's not
a big problem to fix, although I'll keep it turned off if I have to
since I mainly got the 770 mainly for Slimserver control.

When browsing artwork, I currently get 6 images across the screen at
what looks like 100 pixels across. The thumbnail size in server
setting is set to 150 pixels. So, is the thumbnail size hard wired
into the skin?. If so, would it be possible to use the value in server
settings so that I can have a slightly larger image visible on the
screen?

Thanks for your help.

Richard

fuzzyT
2006-02-20, 12:31
bklaas wrote:

> interesting...I'd never seen the 'Optimized View' feature before...do
> you know what that feature is supposed to do (besides screwing up the
> rendering of the album art)?

AFAICT, this feature tweaks the browser such that it will try to fit all
of the content of a page into the available horizontal width of the
window w/o horizontal scrolling. In practice, this means that it will
auto-adjust the text zoom level, and perhaps override column widths in
the layout.

It works fantastically well on many sites, and really smooths out the
browsing experience. But when it breaks, it does so rather brutally.
Any page with fixed elements that overflow it's idea of what the
horizontal width should be get very ugly.

For an example, try ESPN.com.

I really wish that this setting could be configured on a per-website
basis, perhaps stored along with URL and Description as a bookmark
property.

--rt

ebag4
2006-02-20, 13:53
I apoligize if this has been answered elsewhere but I did a search and could not find it.

Over the last few years I have used PC based audio. Because of this my database has been put together over time. One of my previous front ends used bitmap files for album art. Is there a way to get the Nokia 770 skin to recognize bitmap files?

Thanks,
Ed

bklaas
2006-02-20, 20:54
I apoligize if this has been answered elsewhere but I did a search and could not find it.

Over the last few years I have used PC based audio. Because of this my database has been put together over time. One of my previous front ends used bitmap files for album art. Is there a way to get the Nokia 770 skin to recognize bitmap files?

Thanks,
Ed

slimserver wants jpg's. AFAIK, this is a server task, not a skin task. I'd consider trying to convert your bmps to jpgs. bmp, IMO, is a really lame image format anyway.

From Server Settings->Interface->Artwork:
"Images of album artwork, when available, are displayed when viewing an album or song information. Artwork images are found in the ID3 tags for individual songs or can reside in the same folder as song files. By default, images named "cover.jpg", "albumartsmall.jpg", "folder.jpg", "album.jpg", or "thumb.jpg" are used. You can specify an additional file name to use for album art images. You can specify different file names for thumbnail or full size images. Prefix the option with % and you can follow it with any string made up of the same elements available for Title Formats (eq %ARTIST - ALBUM, will look for Artist - Album.jpg to fit the artist and album information found."

that certainly implies JPG is the format you need.

cheers,
#!/ben

kdf
2006-02-20, 21:21
On 20-Feb-06, at 7:54 PM, bklaas wrote:
>
>
> that certainly implies JPG is the format you need.
>
..gif works too
-k

ebag4
2006-02-23, 12:53
Thanks for the replies guys. I have now changed all of the artwork to jpeg. Everything is working as it should I believe. I am actually using this skin on a laptop.

Question, is there a way when viewing your collection via artwork, that for letters that have more albums than fit on a screen, to have a second screen for those letters. A scroll bar would work as well. I have a scrollbar when viewing via my PDA, but that screen is simply too small for this skin. For some reason the laptop doesn't give me a scroll bar. Other web pages do have a scrollbar when I am viewing them.

Thanks,
Ed

bklaas
2006-02-23, 13:06
what browser are you using? I have a scrollbar when viewing via Firefox or Opera. (if you are using IE, Nokia770 will not be the skin for you. I am more likely to take up voodoo than fix an IE-only bug)

cheers,
#!/ben