PDA

View Full Version : My Slimserver hates The Beatles

Harry G
2005-12-22, 11:49
I can't get scan library to recognize all my songs. This became evident when I couldn't find any of my 16 Beatles CDs although they are all tagged. I don't know what else is missing. I do have a large collection, over 35,000 songs but I've been reading that this is not a problem other than potential slowness.

I've tried using 6.2, 6.2.2 and 6.5 and get the same results. When I re-scan, eventually Slimserver shuts down while the browser continues to tell me that it is still scanning my library.

If I go to Browse Music Folder, I can see the missing albums and songs and play them. Once I play an otherwise missing song, It will appear in the library.

Can anyone suggest a work-around?

gorstk
2005-12-22, 12:05
Harry G wrote:
> I can't get scan library to recognize all my songs. This became evident
> when I couldn't find any of my 16 Beatles CDs although they are all
> tagged. I don't know what else is missing. I do have a large
> collection, over 35,000 songs but I've been reading that this is not a
> problem other than potential slowness.
>
> I've tried using 6.2, 6.2.2 and 6.5 and get the same results. When I
> re-scan, eventually Slimserver shuts down while the browser continues
> to tell me that it is still scanning my library.
>
> If I go to Browse Music Folder, I can see the missing albums and songs
> and play them. Once I play an otherwise missing song, It will appear in
> the library.

You do realise that slimserver ignores 'the' - so The Beatles will come
under 'b' in the alphabetical list of artists?

ianjohnson_nz
2005-12-22, 14:11
I can't get scan library to recognize all my songs. This became evident when I couldn't find any of my 16 Beatles CDs although they are all tagged. I don't know what else is missing. I do have a large collection, over 35,000 songs but I've been reading that this is not a problem other than potential slowness.

I've tried using 6.2, 6.2.2 and 6.5 and get the same results. When I re-scan, eventually Slimserver shuts down while the browser continues to tell me that it is still scanning my library.

If I go to Browse Music Folder, I can see the missing albums and songs and play them. Once I play an otherwise missing song, It will appear in the library.

Can anyone suggest a work-around?
Might be worth checking the tags. A number of my CDs that I ripped created tracks with strange tags, which show up under "Unknown".

Michaelwagner
2005-12-22, 15:33
but they got over it :-)

But, seriously, please explain this bit:

When I re-scan, eventually Slimserver shuts down while the browser continues to tell me that it is still scanning my library.

If the Slimserver shut down, there'd be nothing to tell you it it is still scanning. So did it shut down or didn't it?

When you hover your mouse over the slim icon in the system tray, what does it say?

Oh, sorry, you should probably also tell us what operating system, what level of slimserver, what squeezeboxes ... that's a good place to start.

Brian Ritchie
2005-12-22, 17:55
But, seriously, please explain this bit:

When I re-scan, eventually Slimserver shuts down while the browser continues to tell me that it is still scanning my library.

If the Slimserver shut down, there'd be nothing to tell you it it is still scanning. So did it shut down or didn't it?

You might find that the web page sits at "still scanning" even after the server has died. (If the server is pushing updates to the browser, but the server's no longer there, there's nothing to push the final update...)

It sounds a bit like what happened to me several weeks ago... see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18190&highlight=soon-to-be

In my case, some dodgy URL tags in WMA files were causing SlimServer to crash during scan (or rescan). I could restart the server afterwards, but since it had crashed mid-scan, not everything was there.

The problem was fixed in one of the 6.2.2 nightlies, so should also be fixed in any fairly recent 6.2.2 release. (Of course, the other fix would have been to fix or remove the dodgy URL tags...)

-- Brian

Michaelwagner
2005-12-22, 19:05
The browser refreshes every 30 seconds.

The first refresh after the server crashes, the refresh fails and says page not found.

If it doesn't say page not found, try hitting refresh. If it works, the server hasn't crashed.

Harry G
2005-12-22, 20:26
Figured out the problem. Once I talked it out, it became obvious. Should have just told my wife or the dog who both view the audio stuff as magic rather than bothering you guys.

I had an old, no longer used playlist folder from my SB1 days in my main music directory. When rescan got to that folder one of the playlists must have crashed the program. I hadn't noticed a third of the alphebet missing because I could access CD folders that started with p through z from my other drives. Once I deleted the playlist folder, everything worked fine. Hard to blame anyone but myself.

Neil Cameron
2005-12-23, 02:12
Also; are you using iTunes, and if so, do you have the Beatles stuff
unticked?

--
Neil

"Harry G"
<Harry.G.20gg9n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote in message news:Harry.G.20gg9n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com...
>
> I can't get scan library to recognize all my songs. This became evident
> when I couldn't find any of my 16 Beatles CDs although they are all
> tagged. I don't know what else is missing. I do have a large
> collection, over 35,000 songs but I've been reading that this is not a
> problem other than potential slowness.
>
> I've tried using 6.2, 6.2.2 and 6.5 and get the same results. When I
> re-scan, eventually Slimserver shuts down while the browser continues
> to tell me that it is still scanning my library.
>
> If I go to Browse Music Folder, I can see the missing albums and songs
> and play them. Once I play an otherwise missing song, It will appear in
> the library.
>
> Can anyone suggest a work-around?
>
>
> --
> Harry G
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Harry G's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=1165