PDA

View Full Version : Playing order

themillars
2005-12-22, 10:23
I may be falling into the catagory of really dumb, however if you don't ask you don't get.

I ripped all my CDs onto a hard disk using CD-DA Xtractor, saving them all as .WAV files (I've got so much storage quality rather than space was my criteria). However, when I play via my SB the track order plays wrongly. It's a real problem with live albums.

Any ideas?

Fred
2005-12-22, 10:34
when I play via my SB the track order plays wrongly

The SB will play tracks in the "track number" order if set to do so (i.e. shuffle setting; what's yours?) and obviously if the "track number" it reads from the WAV file is correctly set. There are options to display or not the track number on the SB and on the web interface (what is displayed in your case ?)

If you check and report on the above points, I'm sure we'll be able to help you more. At this stage however, it is impossible to determine the problem between a setting issue, a tagging issue or a software bug issue.

HTH

Fred

radish
2005-12-22, 12:54
Well the big problem here is that WAVs can't be tagged. Thus, it has to take the track number from the filename, which means the "guess tags" stuff has to be setup and working properly. If I were you I'd use FLAC instead of WAV just so you get real tags, then all these kinds of problems will go away.

mherger
2005-12-22, 23:59
> I ripped all my CDs onto a hard disk using CD-DA Xtractor, saving them
> all as .WAV files (I've got so much storage quality rather than space
> was my criteria). However, when I play via my SB the track order plays
> wrongly. It's a real problem with live albums.

WAV files don't know id3 tags. Compress to flac (lossless) and tag the
files correctly. They then should play in the right order.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

ceejay
2005-12-23, 01:45
while agreeing that FLAC is the real answer so you can tag the music ... I would also add a note of good practice, which is to name the files in such a way that when listed in alphabetical order they come out in the right track order. Easiest way to do this is to put the track number at the beginning e.g. "01 - Let it be". If you really must use WAVs then I'd say this was your only option.

Ceejay