PDA

View Full Version : Browsing a big music collection

MatB
2005-12-22, 03:51
Hi,
I'd like to know if it's possible and easy with the Squeezebox to browse a fair big music collection directly with the remote control. Which information is available on the screen?
As you see i don't have a SB yet; it looks very nice but i was wondering if it really fits my needs.

Thanks in advance,

MatB

mherger
2005-12-22, 04:47
> I'd like to know if it's possible and easy with the Squeezebox to
> browse a fair big music collection directly with the remote control.

Yes, it is.

> Which information is available on the screen?

There are different browse modes: by artist, album, year, folder on disk,
genre.

Get your free SlimServer - http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_features.html

The server comes with a SB "emulator" called Softsqueeze. Play with it and
see yourself if it fits your needs.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

MatB
2005-12-22, 05:34
Thanks a lot. I'll play with it during xmas holidays.

Kyle
2005-12-22, 07:03
A way to make the process easier is to use the letters on the number keys to navigate your collection. If you're looking for Joe Cocker, for instance, hit "browse artists" and then the 5 key (JKL), and you will skip to the J's.

m1abrams
2005-12-22, 07:51
For a single line display I have found the Squeezebox to handle large music collection browsing to be very useable. Most devices that have even bigger displays (TIVO) do a horrible job at make it easy to browse large collections.

Also getting use to using the remote to jump to different letters make it much quicker.

narlus
2005-12-28, 13:45
agreed; the only caveat (and it's nothing to do w/ slimserver/SB) is that you need to be consistent w/ yr tagging...otherwise, you can find separate entries for Nick Cave, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-28, 14:32
One of the things I really liked about the dearly departed audiotron was a piece of software called audiostation.

It was slower than the proverbial molassis flowing uphill on a cold day, but some of the things it did as primitive operations were incredibly powerful.

For instance, if you browsed by artist and saw there were 2 "folders"
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
and
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

you could select all the titles in the one "folder" and drag them into the other folder. It would retag the artist tag on all the dragged files to the spelling in the target "folder". And then, since no files existed in the old "folder", it would collapse.

I say folder in quotes because they were just nodes on a display tree and had nothing to do with operating system folders.