PDA

View Full Version : A thank you to Slim Devices

P Floding
2005-12-22, 01:50
I received my SB3 a couple of days ago, and apart from an error message about a missing perl58.dll (which didn't seem to matter?), everything installed very, very easily. (I use Win XP, with no service packs.)

Anyway, the SB3 is a clean and beautiful design to look at, and the way the user interface has been designed to get the most of the limited display area is fantastic! (Although the display is relatively huge, it is not a PC-monitor!)

The open server source tops it all off nicely!

All-in-all: Fantastic!

P.S: Currently my ageing laptop (500MHz when on battery) acts as a server, doing transcoding on the fly from AAC while communicating via wifi (11 Mbit!) between both laptop and SB3, and it all works fine. Most impressive!

vdorta
2005-12-22, 03:57
Glad to read about another satisfied customer. I could be wrong but I believe you'll need to put the perl58.dll file in your Windows/System folder to rip with EAC. In case you do, email me and I'll gladly sent you a copy.

chaz
2005-12-22, 07:19
Totally off topic, but I'd at least install SP1 on your PC. Current and future Microsoft security updates will only install if you have either SP1 or 2 installed.

P Floding
2005-12-23, 08:41
Glad to read about another satisfied customer. I could be wrong but I believe you'll need to put the perl58.dll file in your Windows/System folder to rip with EAC. In case you do, email me and I'll gladly sent you a copy.

Thanks for mentioning this!
I found the DLL in a folder and did move it to System32 (is System used much nowdays?)

P Floding
2005-12-23, 08:45
Totally off topic, but I'd at least install SP1 on your PC. Current and future Microsoft security updates will only install if you have either SP1 or 2 installed.

Hi!
I know, I'm living on a knife-edge!
But my laptop has never worked better, and I'm highly suspicious of MS "enhancements" in the SPs. I used to get everything in RAM swapped out to disk during the night, which was extremely annoying. Then the disk crashed, and I installed a borrowed XP, (I was away from home) which I can't update. I know I really should install the laptop's original XP version..
Thanks for mentioning it though!