PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Or Glorified PC?

CavesOfTQLT
2005-12-21, 17:04
I have a SqueezeBox 2, and I'm about to order, right at this very minute, a SB3, but...

this question keeps coming into my head.

Why buy a SqueezeBox?

A PC or some other type of system is needed to run SlimServer. Okay, but...

You then need either a) Softsqueeze, or b) an actual hardware SqueezeBox to play your music.

Now assume a motherboard/mainboard that has an on-board digital co-ax or SP/DIF output; can't the Softsqueeze player output via this to an amplifier with digital in, so negating the need for an actual SqueezeBox? Why pay $250+ for an SB? Isn't this overkill?

Now if I want to send the same music to different locations then can't a PC be set-up running SoftSqueeze in each location, utilizing the on-board SP/DIF output for digital quality audio?

Please someone give me the reason why I need to purchase another actual SqueezeBox hardware unit. BTW the need to have a motherboard/ram/powersupply at each location I want music in is irrelevant, and let's say I can get these at roughly equivalent cost to the SB3. And let's assume I can hide away these components behind the walls/in a cupboard so no case/enclosure needed...

Discuss. Any help on this would be extremely grateful.

Jacob Potter
2005-12-21, 17:10
On 12/21/05, CavesOfTQLT
<CavesOfTQLT.20ezyb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Discuss. Any help on this would be extremely grateful.
>

In one word: interface. If all you want to do is pipe music from place
to place, you could just get a really long cable; but that doesn't get
you all the searching, browsing, and control capabilities of the
Squeezeboxen.

- Jacob

radish
2005-12-21, 17:19
How do you plan on controlling the super-cheap-magically-silent-wall-embedded PC? No screen, no remote.

CavesOfTQLT
2005-12-21, 17:23
Let's assume I don't have an actual Squeezebox. If I just had a PC, loaded up Softsqueeze, connected my PC's digital out to my amplifier, would I really need to shell out all that money on an actual hardware SqueezeBox?

Now the SqueezeBox has a buffer inside of it. Surely this would be a plus point over just using SoftSqueeze, i.e it would reduce the risk of drop-outs to the audio? Yes/No...

CavesOfTQLT
2005-12-21, 17:24
How do you plan on controlling the super-cheap-magically-silent-wall-embedded PC? No screen, no remote.
I should have said that it would have a screen and mouse available.

pfarrell
2005-12-21, 17:25
On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 16:04 -0800, CavesOfTQLT wrote:
> Why buy a SqueezeBox?
>
> Now assume a motherboard/mainboard that has an on-board digital co-ax
> or SP/DIF output; can't the Softsqueeze player output via this to an
> amplifier with digital in, so negating the need for an actual
> SqueezeBox? Why pay $250+ for an SB? Isn't this overkill?

I bought mine, because the SB is silent in my audio system.
The fans and disks are in the basement.

And it is small, getting a mainboard that small will
cost nearly as much.

I even put Kimber Cables in the wall and high dollar
speaker wires so I could put the amp in the basement,
But the SB is easier to use and so I put the amp
back up between the speakers.

Pat

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

hdarwen
2005-12-21, 17:26
Less noise would be my number one reason. No fans.

----- Original Message -----
From: "CavesOfTQLT" <CavesOfTQLT.20ezyb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2005 12:04 AM
Subject: [slim] Squeezebox Or Glorified PC?

>
> I have a SqueezeBox 2, and I'm about to order, right at this very
> minute, a SB3, but...
>
> this question keeps coming into my head.
>
> Why buy a SqueezeBox?
>
> A PC or some other type of system is needed to run SlimServer. Okay,
> but...
>
> You then need either a) Softsqueeze, or b) an actual hardware
> SqueezeBox to play your music.
>
>
> Now if I want to send the same music to different locations then can't
> a PC be set-up running SoftSqueeze in each location, utilizing the
> on-board SP/DIF output for digital quality audio?
>
> Please someone give me the reason why I need to purchase another actual
> SqueezeBox hardware unit. BTW the need to have a
> motherboard/ram/powersupply at each location I want music in is
> irrelevant, and let's say I can get these at roughly equivalent cost to
> the SB3. And let's assume I can hide away these components behind the
> walls/in a cupboard so no case/enclosure needed...
>
> Discuss. Any help on this would be extremely grateful.
>
>
> --
> CavesOfTQLT
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> CavesOfTQLT's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=263
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19342
>
>

CavesOfTQLT
2005-12-21, 17:54
On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 16:04 -0800, CavesOfTQLT wrote:
> Why buy a SqueezeBox?
>

The fans and disks are in the basement.

And it is small, getting a mainboard that small will
cost nearly as much.

I even put Kimber Cables in the wall and high dollar
speaker wires so I could put the amp in the basement,
But the SB is easier to use and so I put the amp
back up between the speakers.

Pat

--
Pat

Pat, let's say it's one of those fancy fanless motherboards, 0dB powersupply, very quiet harddisk, and I've said all this can be hidden away in a cupboard anyways, with just the screen and mouse available. One in each room, running softsqueeze, and all the music is held on one of these computers. Do I really need an actual hardware SqueezeBox?

And BTW I've just placed the order for an SB3. Will be collecting it tomorrow.

It's just that I have this nagging doubt in my head that maybe I'm spending cash when I don't really need to... and what I mean by that is that the money I've just spent on the SB3 could have been put to an el-cheapo system as above that could be used for other things in each room, say.

kdf
2005-12-21, 18:01
On 21-Dec-05, at 4:54 PM, CavesOfTQLT wrote:
>
> It's just that I have this nagging doubt in my head that maybe I'm
> spending cash when I don't really need to...
>
I hear ya. I got this 42" tv a while back. I was so miffed when I
realised that I could have simply sat closer to the old one :(
-kdf

Nick Silberstein
2005-12-21, 18:02
CavesOfTQLT wrote:

The savings in your power bill from a hardware SB vs a dedicated PC w/
display factored in will probably save you cash.

Another advantage of hardware SB over Softsqueeze is better
accuracy/timing of playback of local music when synchronized with your
existing SB2, if you plan to do this.

Nick

gjrhine
2005-12-21, 18:07
system as above that could be used for other things in each room, say.
You just said it was hidden away in a cupboard somewhere.

I think 99% of SB owners had a PC to begin with. Also, it seems like you are pretty much limited to listening to one playlist straight through. You want to skip a song - get up and go to the PC.

audiofi
2005-12-21, 18:10
I have been looking into silent PC's for my servers and have finally worked out a fanless solution, but it does have drawbacks and couldn't replace a Squeezebox:

1) To be fanless, you either need just 1 x 3.5" HDD or 2 x 2.5" HDD which limits storage capacity, more than 1 disk produces too much heat and without a fan removing the heat from the case, you'll suffer from the computer freezing etc.

2) For a fanless solution, it isn't cheap, the best I could come up with was 280 without an operating system, keyboard, mouse or monitor.

Andrew

pfarrell
2005-12-21, 18:27
On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 16:54 -0800, CavesOfTQLT wrote:
> pfarrell Wrote:
> > I bought mine, because the SB is silent in my audio system.
> > The fans and disks are in the basement.
> >
> let's say it's one of those fancy fanless motherboards, 0dB
> powersupply, very quiet harddisk, and I've said all this can be hidden
> away in a cupboard anyways, with just the screen and mouse available.

I couldn't find a way to get one of those cheaper than a SB.
I have lots of old PCs around the house. My slimserver is
in the basement, even better than your cupboard.

I never touch it. I just checked
20:30:03 up 185 days, 8:35,
I mean literally, I haven't touched the box in months,
even to dust it. It just sits in the basement and stores music
and runs the slimserver.

> One in each room, running softsqueeze, and all the music is held on one
> of these computers. Do I really need an actual hardware SqueezeBox?

I would say not, but I'm not convinced it would be cheaper, lower in
power, or as reliable. There is nothing to break in a SB, the wallwart
draws very little, I've already got Ethernet and WiFi.

I had a problem with one of my SB's (I've bought three) and I don't
remember even what it was. I called support, got an RMA, and
got it back in a week. I was hoping that they'd replace my SB1/G with
a SB2, but it came back exactly the same as I sent, just fixed.

So give it to me. The money, the SB, whatever.

--
Pat

JJZolx
2005-12-21, 18:37
I have a SqueezeBox 2, and I'm about to order, right at this very minute, a SB3, but...

this question keeps coming into my head.

Why buy a SqueezeBox?

You then need either a) Softsqueeze, or b) an actual hardware SqueezeBox to play your music.
You're right. I think many (probably most) people don't need a Squeezebox for computer audio. In fact, the few times I've explained the Squeezebox to a number of people already using computer based audio, the concept _completely_ escapes them.

But... Here's what you CAN do with Squeezebox + SlimServer that you CANNOT do with a PC-only music system:

You can very easily place the computer in another room, separate from your audio system. The best you can do with a PC is run either long interconnects, or a long digital cable to your stereo system.

SlimServer can run on your one and only home PC, and that PC can be anywhere on your home network. A computer that has to reside in your living room may not be conveniently located and for all pursposes then becomes a dedicated music/media computer.

Locating the computer in another room also means that the very quiet Squeezebox is the only device you need in your listening room. Unless you've taken painstaking measures to quiet the computer, you may be bothered by the fan and drive noise that it emits.

The Squeezebox's remote control and LCD display mean that you don't need a keyboard, mouse or monitor/TV in your listening room.

By utilizing more than one Squeezebox, you can easily play music from a single computer to more than one audio system. You'd be very hard pressed to do this with a computer - generally requiring one audio computer per audio system.

You can easily control the music playing on any Squeezebox from any computer connected to the network. This is the one great advantage of SlimServer's web interface. With a PC based system, you generaly have to go to the machine connected to the stereo if you want to control it. No different than going to that machine's CD player to skip a track or load another CD.

JJZolx
2005-12-21, 18:54
Pat, let's say it's one of those fancy fanless motherboards, 0dB powersupply, very quiet harddisk, and I've said all this can be hidden away in a cupboard anyways, with just the screen and mouse available. One in each room, running softsqueeze, and all the music is held on one of these computers. Do I really need an actual hardware SqueezeBox?
Looking at it like this? No, you don't. But that's a lot of hardware just for playing music. And you still give up the nice LCD display and remote control. You also don't get very much PC and monitor for $300, especially if you want to use it for general computing.

I probably wouldn't use SoftSqueeze, though. You could have a much better user interface using standard PC music manager software. The SoftSqueeze/SlimServer approach just gives you network control of the player, the ability to use the web interface, and the ability to synch it with another SB (though it doesn't work particularly well in SoftSqueeze).

I think a fair scenario might be if you had a couple kids, each of which you'd like to provide with a computer in their bedroom. I'd get each a computer with sound card, hooked up to whatever audio system they have. Share the files on a server somewhere on the network and let 'em use WinAMP or somesuch to play the music. No need for a Squeezebox.

Listener
2005-12-21, 19:27
> You then need either a) Softsqueeze,
> or b) an actual hardware SqueezeBox to play your music.

If you have a PC in each location, you can run the music player s/w of your choice. If a PC is headless (no keyboard, mouse and display), you can control it from another PC with VNC software. (See http://www.realvnc.com/ for one alternative.)

However, you have still some problems to solve:

- Old PCs are usually not quiet.
- On-board audio or Creative soundcards are designed
for high-quality sound.
- You don't want to know about the things that happen to your audio in most soundcard drivers and the Windows OS.

> Now assume a motherboard/mainboard that has an on-board
> digital co-ax or SP/DIF output; can't the Softsqueeze
> player output via this to an amplifier with digital in,
> so negating the need for an actual SqueezeBox?

If you have on-board audio or a Creative soundcard, it may be doing evil things to the audio before it goes on the digital output. And the jitter level on the SPDIF output might be high enough to be audible.

> Why pay $250+ for an SB? Isn't this overkill?

A h/w squeezebox has a very low jitter clock and a quite good DAC. I'm basing those statements on results of tests by SlimDevices and on published data from other sources. A PC with on-board audio isn't going to perform as well even if your spend several hundred to $ 1000 on a DAC for each computer.

> Now if I want to send the same music to different locations
> then can't a PC be set-up running SoftSqueeze in each location,
> utilizing the on-board SP/DIF output for digital quality
> audio?

I've been sitting listening to music for about 3 hours through Slimserver and a Softsqueeze. I hear small glitches every few minutes and major, quite annoying glitches every 45 minutes. Maybe there are things I could do to optimize Softsqueeze. However, I think Softsqueeze is a brilliant proof of concept but a poor choice as a regular way to play music.

Why would you want to use the 2-line display and remote keyboard emulation rather than an interface that uses the full screen? If you go with Softsqueeze, you might consider use the web interface on each PC. Or some other play software.

Bill

radish
2005-12-21, 19:33
Do you need a hardware squeezebox? Of course not. But you ask us to discuss the pros and cons and every time we come up with an advantage for the squeezebox you tell us to ignore it. Be fair - if you don't consider cost, sound quality, convenience, noise or power usage then of course you could use a PC. However, for those of us in the real world, those are all valid concerns which put the squeezebox out on top.

Sounds to me like you've already made your mind up and are just looking for an argument.

snarlydwarf
2005-12-21, 22:07
Indeed, if I was going to have a "computer controlling sound output," with a central "house amp" and speakers going to each room (this is the way a lot of "central sound" stuff was installed not very long ago), I wouldn't use slimserver and certainly not softsqueeze. (It's not that I hate Java... it's that I don't have the strongest trust in actual java implementations -- they're always buggy and odd issues keep coming up. It's the implementations, not the language, though.)

The loss of the neato cool display (no, I don't want to use my TV to control audio -- as I said, I play ps2 games a lot, and want my own music, not the game, and switching channels to queue stuff up isn't an option), the loss of remote (mouse? no thanks, i barely have room for the ps2 keyboard on my coffee table and nowhere to put a mouse in the bedroom), the loss of independence (i don't always have the same music playing in the bedroom as the livingroom)...

Replacing a small SB display (which has a very very nice and easy to use UI) with a display, a mouse and a keyboard is backwards. I want -easy- and -small-.

mrieger
2005-12-21, 22:37
Do you really need a discussion on a PC vs. a Squeezebox? We're bickering over $250, low power, no noice whatsoever, and the (new) Squeezebox looks sweet.

Not to mention my Squeezebox allowed me to remove 2 pieces of audio hardware from my audio setup in my living room which is worth a couple thousand right there.

Factoring in that it took my wife 15 minutes to figure out how to work the Squeezebox....pricless.

;-)

Mike

mherger
2005-12-22, 00:16
> Let's assume I don't have an actual Squeezebox. If I just had a PC,
> loaded up Softsqueeze, connected my PC's digital out to my amplifier,
> would I really need to shell out all that money on an actual hardware
> SqueezeBox?

No, you don't. There are a lot of reasons it anyway. But if you don't care
about power consumption, noise, visuals, interaction, folks accidentally
closing softsqueeze etc., you really don't need to buy a SB.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

ceejay
2005-12-22, 01:30
Well, this could go on for a while, because I think we are all discussing our own requirements and preferences, and in this we are all different (cry from the guy in the corner: "I'm not!" )

My view, FWIW, is that if I have a need for a computer in a particular spot then I won't be buying an SB. There are 4 people in my house, we all have computers, we all access the common music library: I use Softsqueeze or foobar, the others use iTunes.

But in rooms where is no computer, I definitely want a Squeezebox. So far we have one in the main living room and one in the kitchen - I can't imagine wanting anything as ugly as a computer in either of those places. Maybe the bedroom is next, I don't know.

This way we have what we really want - music EVERYWHERE!

Fantastic.

Ceejay.

CavesOfTQLT
2005-12-22, 03:00
Some great answers there guys. Thanks for all your input.

I particularly liked radish's 'looking for an argument' response. That tickled me. Right, for my next attempt at raising swords... ;-)

And many, many thanks to Listener. Some of his statements have pointed out the reasons for going the HW over SW route. Just the reply I was looking for. Cheers Bill.

Once again, thanks to everyone who chipped in.

I'm now waiting for the e-mail to say to come and collect my SB3.

cbemoore
2005-12-22, 04:33
I'm a bit late arriving at this discussion, but anyway:

I already have a PC in the lounge, running Windows Media Center Edition 2005, hooked up to a 42" plasma and a decent surround sound system. So I decided I didn't need a Squeezebox - I could just use the PC instead. But I came across the following problems:

1) Unfortunately MCE2005 doesn't support FLAC (and almost all my music is in FLAC format)

2) The MCE2005 music browser is painfully slow (yes, worse than SlimServer!!).

3) Its a right pain having to turn on the plasma screen just to play music. And once the music's playing, do I leave the screen switched on (burning a static image into the screen), or switch it off (and not know what track is playing)?

In the end, I just bought a Squeezebox because its so much more convenient! For music I use the Squeezebox, and for TV and DVD I use the PC. And when I'm watching TV, the Squeezebox makes a great clock...

Running Softsqueeze on the PC wouldn't really be feasible for me, since its impossible to control with a remote. Although I suppose I could buy a web tablet instead, and control Softsqueeze via the web interface??? But I'd still have the problem of whether to leave the screen on or off.

Chris

pbudding
2005-12-22, 04:49
Chris,

Before buying a SB3 I was considering building a DIGN X15E HTPC with MCE with a build in LCD touchscreen. So I could replace my VCR, playing MP3's, and watching movies.
(see: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=930&cat=162&page=1)

But after reading a lot stories with MSC problems, drivers do not work after an update, and numerous other problems. And most important the MCE interface isn't the most friendly one (my wife has to make use of it as well) I'd decided for a SB3 first and look further for a more stable solution.

Perhaps this is a solution for you.

Regards,
Peter

CardinalFang
2005-12-22, 05:11

That was my second reason. The first was and always will be audio quality. A PC has so many other bits of hardware in it spreading noise and interference around and it has PC power supplies that are designed for PCs, not high end audio. It all adds up to interference and poorer reproduction.

I was using a M-Audio card in a Mac for a while. Sounded great, but there was a constant hum of fan noise and a slight degree of electronic chatter, and M-Audio are a good brand. SB is a purpose design hifi component.

I always try to use things for what they were designed for. PC are good for processing and storing information, hifi is good (usually) for playing audio.

Paul

pfarrell
2005-12-22, 06:27
On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 04:11 -0800, CardinalFang wrote:
> pfarrell Wrote:
> > I bought mine, because the SB is silent in my audio system.
>
> That was my second reason. The first was and always will be audio
> quality. A PC has so many other bits of hardware in it spreading noise
> and interference around and it has PC power supplies that are designed
> for PCs, not high end audio. It all adds up to interference and poorer
> reproduction.

Agree that a PC is not where you want high quality audio signals.
In my recording studio, I have two M-Audio Delta 1010s, which
have external rack mounted AD and DA convertors. Keeps the
wacko noise of the PC many feet from the critical audio paths.

--
Pat Farrell PRC recording studio
http://www.pfarrell.com/PRC

dwc
2005-12-22, 11:30

Why don't you run the numbers on this for yourself?
- Those "silent" components are not cheap. At some point (which I think you're well past with that system description) it becomes less expensive to buy the SB.
- Also you fail to mention the sound card you'd be running and its cost. You have to get a pretty expensive sound card to rival the SB's audio quality.
- Consider the power requirements of a full PC versus the SB, that's also a cost issue as electricity isn't cheap.
- Finally, you need to run that sound to the nearest stereo system so that you can listen to it, which requires that that PC be reasonably close to the stereo, or you'll be running really long (messy) lengths of cable from that hidden cupboard to where your stereo components are.

Hopefully that helps you justify your purchase. Grats on the SB!
-Dan

Listener
2005-12-22, 11:53
And many, many thanks to Listener.

I'll take that as encouragement to make a few more observations.

If you are serious about sound quality, you want a S/W + H/W solution that is dead reliable in playing without pops, gaps or glitches. You don't pay money to get a music-on-hard-disk system that does play perfectly. That isn't easy for a user-mode program like Softsqueeze. Every now and then Windows may do a blizzard of disk I/O to save its state. Firefox produces periodic disk I/O storms too and Slimserver may rescan the music folder at intervals producing its own disk I/O storm.

The web has a number of little communities of audiophiles who mostly agree on a technical approach. USB based DACs are popular on several of those communities. The isochronous method of transfer theose USB DACs use is not a good starting point for high-quality audio. (No re-transmission, clock is ultimately derived from the USB traffic, etc.) However, Windows provides a builtin driver for that method of audio data transfer. There is a right way to do it, but it requires writing a kernel-mode audio driver for Windows and then building a USB DAC that talks to the new driver. Nobody has done that. Instead, they do more-or-less heroic efforts to work around the limitations of isochronous transfer.

The Squeezebox connects to its server via an Internet via an Ethernet or Wi-Fi connection. It does the job right: data can be re-transmitted if necessary and the all-important word clock can be generated in the Squeezebox with very low jitter. And the DAC is outside the electrically noisy PC environment with its own power supply. So the Squeezebox might produce better sound quality for $ 250 than a USB DAC or an high-quality soundcard. You might still use a Squeezebox with a PC in the same room as your stereo.

Bill

LavaJoe
2005-12-22, 12:06
- Also you fail to mention the sound card you'd be running and its cost. You have to get a pretty expensive sound card to rival the SB's audio quality.

I can attest to that. Before I got the SB2 for my car, I pulled the audio from the built-in sound chips on my Via M10000 motherboard. Needless to say, the audio quality was terrible. It was so bad that even casual listening in the car was irritating. I even got distortion on the low-end that was basically unlistenable.

Now I have the Via M10000 (running Linux) connected to the SB2 via wired ethernet, so the computer can concentrate on giving the SB data, rather than trying to do audio. Sounds great.

ianjohnson_nz
2005-12-22, 14:09
Before I got the SB2 for my car
You have an SB in your *car*?

This I am interested in. What setup do you have in your car?

LavaJoe
2005-12-22, 14:11
You have an SB in your *car*?

This I am interested in. What setup do you have in your car?

Hi - yep! It's installed in the lower part of my double-DIN opening below my Kenwood head unit. See this thread that I wrote right after installing it:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17638

ianjohnson_nz
2005-12-22, 14:33
Hi - yep! It's installed in the lower part of my double-DIN opening below my Kenwood head unit. See this thread that I wrote right after installing it:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17638
<Ian doffs his cap to LavaJoe>

That is very cool. I will add that to my rainy day projects list. Just got to get a head unit with an Aux input (or maybe I can hack into the cassette unit, disable the cassette and pinch that as a source?

Try that with a bloody Roku! (Or an SB3 for that matter, long live the SB2.)

Regards, ian
[edit, stupid typo]

LavaJoe
2005-12-22, 15:42

That is very cool. I will add that to my rainy day projects list. Just got to get a head unit with an Aux input (or maybe I can hack into the cassette unit, disable the cassette and pinch that as a source?

Try that with a bloody Roku! (Or an SB3 for that matter, long live the SB2.)

Regards, ian
[edit, stupid typo]

Yep, that's why I jumped at the chance to get a wired SB2 while they lasted - I know the SB3 would not have fit in this application. (I have an SB3 in my living room, though! :)

LavaJoe
2005-12-22, 16:31
[edit, stupid typo]

Thanks, BTW! Yes, I am quite pleased with the way it worked out, and I use it all the time.

Yeah, you really should get aux input to take advantage of the good sound. My factory unit was a 6-disc in-dash CD changer, double-DIN, but it had no aux input, plus it took twice the space. I never liked using the changer, since I then had CDs captive in my car, and I had to choose what CDs to take on trips, etc - never bothered for short drives. For a few years I had been looking for a way to play my collection without lugging CDs around (or even MP3 discs, for that matter). Now I'm happy!

Because of a display glitch, I was sent a replacement SB2 wireless, and I tried that for a while, even using it as a wireless bridge to sync music, which worked fine. But that unit exhibitted the display glitch even more often (others on the forum have seen it too, so I filed a bug on it - who knows, it might be exacerbated by the changes in temperature, etc.), so I kept the original wired unit, and I'm back to using my little Linksys USB wireless adapter to sync, which works just fine.