PDA

View Full Version : WRT54G and WPA2

dancarne
2005-12-20, 18:32
FYI, I was unable to get WPA2 to work with my Linksys WRT54G. The highest you can go is WPA1/TKIP. Just thought I'd post that so others would know.

Tech Support said the issue is being worked on.

Dan

ianjohnson_nz
2005-12-20, 18:59
FYI, I was unable to get WPA2 to work with my Linksys WRT54G. The highest you can go is WPA1/TKIP. Just thought I'd post that so others would know.

Tech Support said the issue is being worked on.

Dan

I've got the same router and got it going fine (until I discovered my laptop wouldn't support WPA2). I couldn't get it to connect at first, it seemed that changing the encryption method but not changing the SSID meant the SB2 retained a memory of the previous settings.

I found that performing a factory reset fixed it and it then connected using WPA2 with no problems.

Since then, whenever I play with my encryption method on the router, I change the SSID as well, which seems to make it easier to change on the SB (also means that if I want to revert to previous settings, just have to change the SSID again, because SB remembers the settings for that SSID.

dancarne
2005-12-20, 19:06
Hi Ian,

How's the weather down under? Are you saying that a factory reset on the SB3, or on the router, will allow WPA2 to work?

Cheers,

Dan

ianjohnson_nz
2005-12-20, 21:15
Hi Ian,

How's the weather down under? Are you saying that a factory reset on the SB3, or on the router, will allow WPA2 to work?

Cheers,

Dan
At the time I factory reset the SB2. Now I change the SSID if I am also changing settings on my router, and make SB2 look at the "new" wireless LAN.

Prior to that it found my router, but didn't get a sensible IP address (should have been 192.168.1..., got something completely different) and couldn't be pinged from another computer. Resetting the SB2 seemed to clear the settings and it connected first time to the router after.

Oh by the way I was using WPA2/AES, not WPA2/TKIP.

Weather's great thanks, pleasant day today, about 22deg, gentle breeze.