PDA

View Full Version : Nokia770 Skin

bklaas
2005-12-20, 16:37
helloDevs-

I'm finished with a first devel version of my Nokia770 skin, which is based on 'Touch'. I specifically wrote it to be optimized for the Nokia 770 800x400 screen, although it should work fine anywhere.

Screenshots and tarball available at:
http://benklaas.com/slimserver/

Important note-- this is written for Slimserver 6.5, and will not work on 6.2. If I get a chance to back port it I will, but after installing 6.5 I can't start my 6.2 server any more, so...

I'd love to hear feedback before either posting this to the main forum or pushing for inclusion in the slimserver base distribution. I *really* am enjoying the marriage of the 770 and Squeezeboxen, aka Poor Man's Sonos, and fully intend to support this skin moving forward.

I make no argument about the fact that there are still some improvements to be made, but feel I'm far enough along that it's ready for comments.

cheers,
#!/ben

Justus Pendleton
2005-12-20, 17:51
On 2005-12-20, bklaas <bklaas.20d3wb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> Important note-- this is written for Slimserver 6.5, and will not work
> on 6.2. If I get a chance to back port it I will, but after installing
> 6.5 I can't start my 6.2 server any more, so...

I believe the database is different and 6.2 won't work with 6.5
databases. If you delete the db file (or better, just move it out of
the way) and start 6.2 it should work. That's what I did a couple days
ago in a similar situation.

Justus

Jacob Potter
2005-12-20, 18:00
On 12/20/05, Justus Pendleton <justus (AT) ryoohki (DOT) net> wrote:
> I believe the database is different and 6.2 won't work with 6.5
> databases. If you delete the db file (or better, just move it out of
> the way) and start 6.2 it should work. That's what I did a couple days
> ago in a similar situation.

There have also been changes to the skin template system; a skin
shouldn't care about the database.

- Jacob

Justus Pendleton
2005-12-20, 18:06
On 2005-12-21, Jacob Potter <jacobdp (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:
> On 12/20/05, Justus Pendleton <justus (AT) ryoohki (DOT) net> wrote:
>> I believe the database is different and 6.2 won't work with 6.5
>> databases. If you delete the db file (or better, just move it out of
>> the way) and start 6.2 it should work. That's what I did a couple days
>> ago in a similar situation.
>
> There have also been changes to the skin template system; a skin
> shouldn't care about the database.

I never said it did. He said his 6.2 server won't start anymore. It's
(probably) because he now has a 6.5 database. At least, that was the
problem I appeared to have.

Justus

Jacob Potter
2005-12-20, 18:12
On 12/20/05, Justus Pendleton <justus (AT) ryoohki (DOT) net> wrote:
> I never said it did. He said his 6.2 server won't start anymore. It's
> (probably) because he now has a 6.5 database. At least, that was the
> problem I appeared to have.

Ah, sorry, I missed that part :)

bklaas
2005-12-20, 20:09
Justus- thanks a lot. I thought everything would be running locally from my 6.5 dir (i.e., db file for 6.5 would go in the 6.5 dir), but I see that the cache is specified in /etc/slimserver.conf, so my 6.5 db file was overwriting my 6.2 db file.

Now that I can start 6.2 again, I'll explore how easy it will be to move the Nokia770 skin to it.

#!/ben

phicar2
2005-12-21, 11:56
This is a great effort! The reason I went with the Squeezebox (instead of the Sonos) was because of the Nokia 770...I haven't yet received mine (770 that is, I've had the squeezebox for about 1 month).

One question (forgive my newbness):
Is the songinfo screen like a "Now Playing" screen? I always thought there should be a "Now Playing" screen (maybe there is and I just haven't seen it so correct me if I'm wrong) that is essentially the songinfo screen but with a time elapsed bar or something like that on it as well. Also, I would think it you should be able to get to the "Now Playing" screen from anywhere else with just 1 click.

bklaas
2005-12-21, 12:34
Actually, I neglected to grab a screenshot of the 'now playing' page. Silly oversight, because I probably spent the most time on reformatting that page for the 770. Here ya go:
http://benklaas.com/slimserver/nokiaskin_screenshots/nowplaying.png

Other skins (e.g., Fishbone) do a time elapsed bar for the currently playing song, and I will add that at some point.

"Now Playing" is available by clicking on the musical note icon in the center top of every screen.

The "songinfo" page gives more detailed information on the track (ID3 tag info, etc.). In my estimation it will be used about 1% of the time the "now playing" page gets used. That's why I was so careful to include a screenshot of it ;)

cheers
#!/ben

phicar2
2005-12-22, 07:26
Fantastic!
I would like to lobby for the inclusion of the time elapsed bar :-)

Neil Sleightholm
2005-12-22, 11:28
This skin is looking good (it saved me the trouble of doing it). Could I suggest icons for play/add etc on the Artwork view instead of words. Also, I would prefer to see Artist and Album as the first icons rather than Music Folder but that may be just personal preference.

Neil

bklaas
2005-12-22, 11:49
Hi Neil-

thanks for the suggestions. The icons on the artwork page is on my to-do list. As for the arrangement of icons on the Home folder, you're right...personal preference. I browse the music folder more often than by artist or album, so I put it in the upper left. You can always hack that if you like ;)

Also, I've made a first stab at porting the skin back to 6.2. There are a few bugs (e.g., if you select "all songs" on any page it will play *everything*, not just the songs on that page), but mostly it works well. I posted it to my slimserver page at http://benklaas.com/slimserver/

I'm away for a few days, but will be fixing/enhancing things next week. Cheers and a happy holidays--
#!/ben

kobip972
2006-04-11, 09:43
Hi Ben,

First of all let me say, Kudos for the effort and the S-W-E-E-T skin you wrote, I upgraded the SS to 6.5 and the started using the skin on my PSP and it the response time and graphics are great. But one of the problem I'm facing is of course the player touch screen. Since PSP does not support this feature...

Do you plan to enable control via links on the player options?

Thanks

kobip972
2006-04-11, 09:53
Justus- thanks a lot. I thought everything would be running locally from my 6.5 dir (i.e., db file for 6.5 would go in the 6.5 dir), but I see that the cache is specified in /etc/slimserver.conf, so my 6.5 db file was overwriting my 6.2 db file.

Now that I can start 6.2 again, I'll explore how easy it will be to move the Nokia770 skin to it.

#!/ben

#!/Ben

Were you able to do it eventually? Use SS 6.2 with the Nokia770 skin? If so can you share what are the steps to do so, and what folders/files should be kept?
It can solve a great problem as I have second language support for the squeezebox player in the 6.2.

Thanks

TechnoDoc
2006-07-07, 07:17
I tried installing the latest Slimserver v6.5, specifically to try the Nokia 770 skin, and could not get it to start on my Windows machine. A quick search on the forums revealed that the builds since late May have not worked in Windows due to some MySQL issue.

As a result, I am back to v6.3, and still Nokia 770 skinless!!

Is there a way to just install the 770 skin? Will it work on v6.3? Earlier in this thread, there is mention of a first attempt at a 6.2 version of the 770 skin, but the web link does not lead to a 6.2 version, just another link to the 6.5 nightly build page.

Another option is if someone has a link to a 6.5 build that works.

Thanks in advance...

Craig, James (IT)
2006-07-07, 07:28
6.5 has been working fine for me on Windows for at least a week!
You shold post in beta with the specific problem you had with 6.5,
because the Nokia 770 skin is only available that way.
(BTW you can install two versions at the same time with only a small
amount of effort. I have 6.2.2, 6.3.0, 6.5 pre MySQL and last night's
build all installed and working - one at a time at least)

James
--------------------------------------------------------

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege, and use is prohibited.

bklaas
2006-07-07, 07:30
Unfortunately, there is no support for the Nokia770 skin in anything but 6.5, and that's the way it's going to stay. Skin development changed a lot between 6.2/3 and 6.5, and I do not have the time to devote for backporting it.

I'm hopeful that the release of 6.3 will allow more focus to shift to 6.5 development, esp. fixing the existing issues that were introduced with the split-scanning feature.

On the plus side, I can tell you that the new 2006OS update to the 770 improves the slimserver controller experience markedly. So, at least you've got something to look forward to ;)

here's the nokiausa link to the 770 software update:
http://www.nokiausa.com/support/phones/softwareupdate/1,,770,00.html

cheers,
#!/ben

TechnoDoc
2006-07-07, 10:36
Thanks for the quick answers. I have upgraded the 770 to the new 2006OS, and I am very pleased with the new features and stability.

I will try to install v6.5 again, and see if it works. I tried the July 6 release, and could not get the server to start. The taskbar icon kept flashing and the web interface would not launch. All is back to normal after a deinstall and install of 6.3.

I'll try again...and keep you posted

Dan Sully
2006-07-07, 10:45
* TechnoDoc shaped the electrons to say...

>Thanks for the quick answers. I have upgraded the 770 to the new
>2006OS, and I am very pleased with the new features and stability.
>
>I will try to install v6.5 again, and see if it works. I tried the
>July 6 release, and could not get the server to start. The taskbar
>icon kept flashing and the web interface would not launch. All is back
>to normal after a deinstall and install of 6.3.

Are you running it as a service?

What if you run via the command prompt, and run slim.exe ?

Thanks

-D
--
<iNoah> you know, most free operating systems come preinstalled with their own high horse.

TechnoDoc
2006-07-07, 13:12
OK...well, it seems I have had better luck with the July 7th build of v6.5. It installed and started just fine. I seem to have only one small issue left to solve that is directly related to the Nokia 770 skin.

When I tap on the "Artist" link on the 770 skin home page, I get the following error/message:

404 Not Found: &player=34:73:33:6f:b2:f0

If I "browse by artist" from a PC on my network, using the default skin, I get the correct "artist" page. If I pull up the Nokia 770 skin on the PC, I get the same error/message.

Any ideas?

bklaas
2006-07-07, 13:16
it's a bug, and I thank you for finding it. I can reproduce it on my system, so I'm guessing I should be able to come up with a fix pretty quickly. I'll update the thread with what I find/fix.

cheers,
#!/ben

bklaas
2006-07-07, 13:18
wow, that was easy. i wish all bugs were like that.

fixed and checked in. it'll show up in the next nightly build.

cheers,
#!/ben

TechnoDoc
2006-07-07, 15:54
Awesome!

Thanks for the quick response!!

TechnoDoc
2006-07-08, 17:36
July 8 build of 6.5 is installed and working...including the Nokia 770 skin! Thank you all for the help.

somby
2006-07-23, 08:57
Hi there,
I downloaded the lastest 6.5 build yesterday, installed it on my Win XP PC and pointed it to my music library (all FLAC encoded music)

It took a long time for Slimserver to update the repository, maybe because I have 160 CDs in my library.

On my Nokia 770 I start Audio Player and start the stream from my PC. The I fire up the browser and points it to my PC.

I am able to browse all music, but when I choose to play something, the "Now Playing" screen shows the right album, but says "Now stopped on X on X" (where X is the last song on the particular album. Hitting the Play button on the Now Playing screen does not do anything. I can not hear any music.

Is there something obvious I have forgotten?

/gunnar
Moscow, Russia

bklaas
2006-07-24, 11:08
gunnar- make sure that javascript is enabled on your 770 browser. Nokia made the sad choice to make it off by default on 2006OS.

#!/ben

somby
2006-07-24, 13:46
Javascript is enabled, but still now music :-(

BTW, Do I have to install something else than Slimserver on my PC?
Will Slimserver encode FLAC files to MP3 on the fly?

/gunnar

kangolo
2006-07-24, 22:40
Hi, normally setting a rating via the iTunesUpdate plugin is done from the Plugins section on the main page.

I don't see any way to set this from the Nokia770Skin, which is otherwise a big improvement over all the others (browser=Safari/OSX).

Would it be possible to add this, but for the now playing screen - rather than having to navigate off to a different page.

Thanks!

Craig, James (IT)
2006-07-25, 01:54
> Hi, normally setting a rating via the iTunesUpdate plugin is done from
> the Plugins section on the main page.
>
> I don't see any way to set this from the Nokia770Skin, which is
> otherwise a big improvement over all the others (browser=Safari/OSX).
>
> Would it be possible to add this, but for the now playing screen -
> rather than having to navigate off to a different page.

Ah I keep meaning to ask Ben how to get the plugin to appear in his
skin?

Internet radio plugins show up fine but not standard plugins with their
own web pages.

I guess this will need to be addressed as part of the takeover of the
Touch skin as well...

James

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error.

bklaas
2006-07-25, 07:17
Sounds like I need to take a look at general plugin support in the skin. I will add this to my list.

As to iTunesUpdate plugin, that's going to be next-to-impossible for me to support without some outside help. I don't run iTunes and don't even run slimserver on an OS that supports iTunes. I see your point how it would be optimal to have the track rating be on the now playing page (as I do already with Biography and Album Review plugins), but will need someone else's input for this.

Incorporating these types of changes into the new Touch skin should (hopefully) be a non-issue, because the intention is for Touch to use all the code from the Nokia770 skin except for the stylesheet (which defines layout, color, fonts, etc.) and images/icons. I haven't started with that work yet (Touch in today's 6.5 should be totally identical to Nokia770)...to be honest, the air is a little out of my sails with all of this "transporter" talk on the forum.

cheers,
#!/ben

Craig, James (IT)
2006-07-25, 07:44
Hi Ben,
Once you add general plugin support I'm sure there will be plenty of
help... And requests...
I'll have to look at what you've done for the Biography plugin.

Now that rating is in the SlimServer database there should probably be
some sort of central method for setting it,
(Which I don't think exists as yet) as there could be a number of
plugins providing the same functionality.

James

NOTICE: If received in error, please destroy and notify sender. Sender does not intend to waive confidentiality or privilege. Use of this email is prohibited when received in error.

kangolo
2006-07-28, 12:23
Sounds like I need to take a look at general plugin support in the skin. I will add this to my list.

Well, I have a workaround for this - I've just bookmarked the url from another skin - that way I can still access it - and with the button on the bookmarks bar it's not too bad.

phoneme
2006-08-05, 05:44
seems to have been down for a while... is the skin mirrored
anywhere?
thanks

Patrick Dixon
2006-08-05, 08:24
seems to have been down for a while... is the skin mirrored
anywhere?
thanks
It's part of the 6.5b1 builds.

CarlOtto
2006-08-09, 06:32
I really like the layout of the Nokia 770 skin but currently I can't use it because of a few problems.

When browsing "New Music" I don't seem to be able to build a playlist by clicking "+". Playing by clicking the arrow is fine but the +-sign is not clickable. Unfortunately, this is how I usually listen (tried Firefox and Opera on a PC, IE on an IPaq handheld).

On the handheld, I have also had problems with artwork not displaying (can't remember exactly where and when but I've tried using both Opera and IE for Win Mobile).

If anyone can see something obvious I've missed I would appreciate if you let me know.

Great looking skin though, I hope these things will be polished off eventually.

bklaas
2006-08-09, 08:46
When browsing "New Music" I don't seem to be able to build a playlist by clicking "+". Playing by clicking the arrow is fine but the +-sign is not clickable. Unfortunately, this is how I usually listen (tried Firefox and Opera on a PC, IE on an IPaq handheld).

This does work, but the behavior might be a bit confusing. My thought is this: If you hit the arrow for "play immediately", take the user to the now playing page to show them the music they just fired up. If they hit the plus sign for "add to playlist", my presumption is that the user is building a playlist through the browse functions, and that they likely will want to stay on that page in order to browse and add more to the playlist. The add-to-playlist function happens via an ajax javascript function in the background, so the page itself does not refresh. I just did this via the 'new music' browse area and it worked fine.

For usability, last week I added an on-screen message that says "Added to Playlist" that will show up for 3 seconds in the middle of the screen after clicking on a '+'.

On the handheld, I have also had problems with artwork not displaying (can't remember exactly where and when but I've tried using both Opera and IE for Win Mobile).

I'm not going to be much good for debugging something on an iPaq since I don't have one. IE is explicitly not supported by the Nokia770 skin (sorry, but I'm kind of a jerk about IE), but I can confirm that artwork browsing works in Opera and Firefox on a desktop, and in Opera on the 770.

cheers,
#!/ben

atlslim
2006-08-09, 10:14
For usability, last week I added an on-screen message that says "Added to Playlist" that will show up for 3 seconds in the middle of the screen after clicking on a '+'.

Thanks for that enhancement Ben. The extended browse menu is also a nice feature!

FYI - not sure if you saw this, but "Favorites" is no longer a plugin in 6.5 but instead is a button item. The home page link will need to be revised accordingly.

transporter
2006-11-14, 09:13
Hi Ben,
I was just posting in the german forum and got this thread now.
I am running an embedded browser with delphi in my house. Unfortunately the engine of delphi's TWebbrowser is the IE engine.
Everything worked fine with slimserver 6.31. Now i've bought a transporter and had to upgrade to 6.5. From this point browsing the touch skin with IE is awfull.
Particularly there is no scrollbar at all. a web developer in our company told me ie has some problems with the css attribut "position:fixed".
now have you ever browsed your skin with ie ? Even with IE7 - same thing.
could you bring yourself to customize the skin ?

werner

bklaas
2006-11-14, 09:46
Touch working in IE is on my list of things to do. Sorry, but not sure when I'll be able to get to it though.

This needs a bug opened against it, so I opened one.
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4507

#!/ben

transporter
2006-11-14, 23:48
Ben,
Meanwhile i came across to the mozilla ActiveX Control. It works alos with delphi. http://delphi.mozdev.org/articles/taming_the_lizard_with_delphi.html
Now i'm happy to be able to browse your skin with firefox. But still there are others which do not have a choice. (e.g. PDA's with embedded windows CE)
Thanks Werner

bklaas
2006-11-27, 15:57
Ben,
Meanwhile i came across to the mozilla ActiveX Control. It works alos with delphi. http://delphi.mozdev.org/articles/taming_the_lizard_with_delphi.html
Now i'm happy to be able to browse your skin with firefox. But still there are others which do not have a choice. (e.g. PDA's with embedded windows CE)
Thanks Werner

I just checked in changes to provide IE support in the Touch skin. Changes are checked into both 6.5 and Trunk branches.

If you find issues with this, please update/reopen the bug at:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4507

cheers,
#!/ben

Rik
2006-12-14, 01:38
I notice a small vertical white line every time the Nokia770 skin updates next to (left of) the "menu" bar (the bar with the five icons home, now playing, playlist, etc). This happens on every page of the Nokia skin and every 10 seconds or so when an update is done (or when you press the refresh button in a browser). Any idea how this can be removed? Or how I can give it a certain color, so I don't notice it any more?

Thanks,

Rik

bklaas
2006-12-14, 07:36
I notice a small vertical white line every time the Nokia770 skin updates next to (left of) the "menu" bar (the bar with the five icons home, now playing, playlist, etc). This happens on every page of the Nokia skin and every 10 seconds or so when an update is done (or when you press the refresh button in a browser). Any idea how this can be removed? Or how I can give it a certain color, so I don't notice it any more?

Thanks,

Rik

as with everything in slimserver, this can be hacked to suit your needs. From your slimserver directory, edit /HTML/Nokia770/slimserver.css. You will want to change this section

div#systemWorking {
position: fixed;
left: 0;
top: 25;
width: 1;
height: 58;
background-color: white;
z-index: 12;
}

change background-color to the same as what the menubar is, #666666;, and you'll never see it again.

That 1px wide white bar is there by design. It lets you know that an ajax request is pending. I can understand how you may be annoyed by it, but for some, including me, it's helpful. Sorry, but I have no intention of removing that from the codebase itself, so you should hack according to your specs.

I can tell you that a 1px wide bar has gone over much better than the last two iterations of this function, a dancing Michael Jackson and a spinning squeezebox.

cheers,
#!/ben

pilot000
2008-01-27, 04:50
Hi Neil-

thanks for the suggestions. The icons on the artwork page is on my to-do list. As for the arrangement of icons on the Home folder, you're right...personal preference. I browse the music folder more often than by artist or album, so I put it in the upper left. You can always hack that if you like ;)

Also, I've made a first stab at porting the skin back to 6.2. There are a few bugs (e.g., if you select "all songs" on any page it will play *everything*, not just the songs on that page), but mostly it works well. I posted it to my slimserver page at http://benklaas.com/slimserver/

I'm away for a few days, but will be fixing/enhancing things next week. Cheers and a happy holidays--
#!/ben

Has anybody a version for SS6.2 available for downloading ?
Because the file(s) on bklaas homepage are away.

bklaas
2008-01-27, 06:06
Has anybody a version for SS6.2 available for downloading ?
Because the file(s) on bklaas homepage are away.

You need 6.5 or above to use the Nokia770 skin. It will not work in 6.2.

#!/ben

pilot000
2008-01-27, 15:17
I know, but I read you have started in the past a port to bring it to SS6.3/6.2 (with a few problems remaining). Do you still have these files available? I have only a Synology DS-106e. SS6.3 run with a acceptable performance on it, but theres no chance with SS6.5. Therefore I'm interested in it.

bklaas
2008-01-27, 15:26
I know, but I read you have started in the past a port to bring it to SS6.3/6.2 (with a few problems remaining). Do you still have these files available? I have only a Synology DS-106e. SS6.3 run with a acceptable performance on it, but theres no chance with SS6.5. Therefore I'm interested in it.

I started the nokia770 skin at a time when Slimserver was transitioning between 6.2 and 6.5. I built a basic skin in 6.2 before realizing that 6.5 was where I wanted to be developing. What I did in 6.2 is not worth having in any form.

The skin API is very different between the two. It'd be a big job to back port this skin, and I have no interest in supporting it.

sorry,
#!/ben