PDA

View Full Version : Help! SB3 cannot connect wireless!

jimwillsher
2005-12-19, 04:44
Hello,

I've just replaced my SB1 with an SB3. Both are the Wireless versions, and my other infrastructure remains unaltered - NetGear WG602 (V2) Access Point etc.

The SB3 just will not connect to the wireless network. It sees my SSID but it will not connect. I have tried WEP64, WEP128, even with no encryption at all. (The SB1 connects happily with WEP128).

My WG602 AP is at the latest firmware, and I've hardwired the SB3 to upgrade the firmware from my 6.2.1 install of the Slim software.

Have I got a faulty SB3 unit? Has anyone else got an SB3 to work with a NetGear WG602 AP?

Many thanks,

Jim Willsher

mherger
2005-12-19, 04:57
> Have I got a faulty SB3 unit? Has anyone else got an SB3 to work with a
> NetGear WG602 AP?

Please check whether you have MAC address filtering activated on the
access point. This has cost me more than a few hours in the past...

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

jimwillsher
2005-12-19, 05:18
No, I've removed all MAC address filtering.

I've made a little bit of progress though. When I start the setup process I am offered my SSID, or I can choose to manually key an SSID.

When I use the one which is offered (HomeLAN) it never works.

However, if I choose to enter one manually, and type EXACTLY THE SAME name, e.g. HomeLAN, it connects!

So, issues discovered so far (I hope Sean is reading this):

1) The SB3 cannot connect when I choose the offered SSID, but can connect when I enter the SAME SSID manually.

2) I am frequently getting assigned a 169.x address. I've added a DHCP reservation to my router but this still happens (and the SB3 hasn't tried to contact DHCP).

3) When I look a player Information on the SB3 it sometimes freezes. When it doesn't freeze, it shows my Player Model as squeezebox2!

What's going on, Slim? SB1 was fabulous, and I've used it happily for a couple of years. SB3 seems to be a a retrograde step.

Jim

keef
2005-12-19, 10:02
Hi Jim & All.

Both a colleague and I have exactly the same setups. We're also upgrading from SB1 to SB3 but cant get the SB3 to connect wirelessly. It can see the SSiD but wont connect.

I've also tried it will all types of encription and none, plus various wireless modes (eg 802.11g only, 802.11b & g, Nitro).
I've even tried it with all security features turned off frorm my router, but still no luck.

If anyone out there knows, we'd all appreciate it.

jimwillsher
2005-12-19, 10:07
This works for me (occasionally):

1) Enable SSID broadcast
2) Switch n the player and go through the wireless setup. When it offers you your SSID name *IGNORE IT* and instead press the DOWN button to enter one manually. Press RIGHT.
3) Your SSID will be pre-filled, exactly the same as was on the broadcast SSID. Keep pressing the right-arrow to accept the SSID.

ANy luck? That seems to work mostly for me (5 out of 7 attempts). Choosing the "offered" SSID, or having Broadcast disabled, both result on 0% success (100% failure).

Jim

Ben Sandee
2005-12-19, 10:10
On 12/19/05, jimwillsher <jimwillsher.20ae7n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> SB3 seems to be a crock of sh*t!!!!
>

You are a troll.

jimwillsher
2005-12-19, 10:19
Errm....why?

If something brand new doesn't work, what am I supposed to think?

Jim

MrC
2005-12-19, 10:38
On 12/19/05, jimwillsher <jimwillsher.20ae7n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> SB3 seems to be a crock of sh*t!!!!
>

You are a troll.
This was a little premature and unfair. Given the number of recent posts where a couple of posters were clearly trying to goad forum members, the overreaction is understandable.

jimwillsher
2005-12-19, 10:41
Okay I'm confused.

But I do stand by my feelings that the wireless implementation on the SB1 is 1000 times better than on the SB3. SB3's version has major failings, at least on my setup, which has otherwise proved flawless (SB1, two laptops and a PSP all connecting reliably).

Jim

MrC
2005-12-19, 10:49
Jim, I was saying that calling you a troll was unfair, not your expressions of frustration.

jimwillsher
2005-12-19, 10:55
Sorry, it's been a long and stressful day! A bit like a child getting a new toy, only to find that it won't work like his old toys used to......or works sometimes :-)

Jim

keef
2005-12-20, 01:08
I've already tried entering the SSID manually but it makes no difference.

Tried the full reset.
Upgraded the firmware on my router.
Turned off long range and Nitro.
Still got all security features turned off.
Tried the 6.5b1 firmware

I live in the UK so are using the Europe wireless setting. I presume were the same as the rest of Europe, but there is a different set for France.
Should there be a different wireless setup for the UK?

But still no luck.

Not happy as I've imported these direct from Slimdevices.
SB1 is a lot better.

jimwillsher
2005-12-20, 01:15
Agreed. And I too am in the UK. Wonder if there's a pattern here, e.g. the reliability issues arise with the UK frequencies/strengths ?

Mine has worked all night quite happily. So, once it works it works well. The major battle is getting it to "connect to network". It sees the network, and once it's connectd it works well, but it's the "Connecting to Network" phase which upsets it. For me, anyway.

Jim

Michaelwagner
2005-12-20, 06:49
I think this is where the boys from Slim would say "call or write to Slim support" - support at slimdevices dot com.

They are better equipped to help you with specific hardware problems than this forum is.

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html

Perhaps it's unfortunate that the forums are listed second on that page, and the support hotline near the bottom ...

Tempest
2005-12-20, 09:39
Tech Support and I recently worked through an issue with my SB2 and a Netgear WG302 Access Point. Both had the latest firmware updates and I was getting very bad drop outs in my audio. Unlike your problem I was able to connect, but my audio was horrible. It winds up that the most recent firmware in the SB2's and SB3's has a known issue with Wireless routers/ Access Points that offer 108MB "Turbo Mode". I don't know if your WG602 offers this, but if it does, change the WG602's Operating Mode from "Auto" to "802.11G Only". This fixed the problem for me.

Hope this helps.

Paul

jimwillsher
2005-12-20, 09:42
Thanks Paul, but no, mine is 54Mbps max.

Jim

keef
2005-12-21, 02:40
Just got the email from support saying get in touch. Will call them when I get home this afternnon, they should just about be strating their day.

I've already tried setting my router to 802.11g only, but it makes no difference.

Will keep the forum posted with details from support.
If anyone is interested my bug number is 2728, you can track it from the following link.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2728

ceejay
2005-12-21, 03:16
Agreed. And I too am in the UK. Wonder if there's a pattern here, e.g. the reliability issues arise with the UK frequencies/strengths ?

I don't have an answer for the underlying problem but hope at least to prevent one red herring... "UK" is irrelevant - the frequencies used are more or less universal, mainly what varies are the number of channels that you can legally use.

I have two SB2s working nicely with two different WAPs.

There have been LOTs of posts on problems with wireless networks, especially the getting started bit. My inference is that there are probably several small problems which are linking up to make something apparently insolvable... and that in the short term the trick is to find the magic sequence that steps past the problems.

"Factory Reset" of the SB seems to be one element, the SBs do seem to have a habit of remembering stuff you'd rather they didn't especially while you are fiddling with wireless settings.

HTH

Ceejay

gadgetgaz
2005-12-25, 12:36
I am having exactly the same problem. The SSID is found but I cannot connect to the network. I have disabled all forms of security in my router (Belkin F5D7630) and reset everything - several times! No connection.
When I go into "view network settings" I can see that the wireless signal strength various between 88% and 93% but, worryingly, it also drops to 0% every few seconds.

My laptop connects to the router just fine and the SB3 works fine over wired ethernet. So what gives?

gadgetgaz
2005-12-26, 03:23
I am really fed up with this now having spent all of yesterday trying to get the SB3 to connect to my wireless network. There seems to be plenty of people who can't connect to plenty of different APs, and also plenty who can.
I have tried every combination of all the suggestions offered by all you helpful people on this forum but nothing works.
I downloaded slimserver 6.2.1 and my SB3 received an auto update to version 28 but this hasn't changed things one bit.
Please, Slimdevices, is there going to be a fix for this?

ceejay
2005-12-26, 04:58
I am really fed up with this now having spent all of yesterday trying to get the SB3 to connect to my wireless network. There seems to be plenty of people who can't connect to plenty of different APs, and also plenty who can.
I have tried every combination of all the suggestions offered by all you helpful people on this forum but nothing works.
I downloaded slimserver 6.2.1 and my SB3 received an auto update to version 28 but this hasn't changed things one bit.
Please, Slimdevices, is there going to be a fix for this?

Granted they probably would not have been much use to you yesterday, but I'd echo a comment made earlier in this thread - your best bet is to communicate directly with Slim support, they have a very good reputation for getting people working...

I think this is where the boys from Slim would say "call or write to Slim support" - support at slimdevices dot com.

They are better equipped to help you with specific hardware problems than this forum is.

http://www.slimdevices.com/su_tech.html

Ceejay

Michaelwagner
2005-12-26, 10:28
The support people at slim have the tools to help you.

This forum doesn't have the tools for basic connectivity problems.

For every combination of router, channel, encryption technique, turbo mode, squeezebox model, etc, there are many potential problems.

In many (most) cases, this isn't the fault of Slim and their software or hardware but reflects the basic immaturity of the wireless networking world. Often 2 devices from different manufacturers can't interoperate out of the box without turning some (mis)feature off. Turbo mode has been one of the big culprits in recent postings, but I'm sure there's more.

Call or write the support people.

Govnah
2005-12-29, 22:24
Just tonight one of my SB3 lost it's wireless connection, while all other wireless devices are fine and I spent way to much time attaching the SB3 back to the wireless network...Way too much time and I can not tell you what I did specifically. Given the bugs in the server (which I will not get into), the front bezel coming off and the amount of time I have spent tweaking/troubleshooting I have come to the conclusion it is time for a refund of both my SB3s. Great concept, but not ready for the masses. Just my .02

Michaelwagner
2005-12-30, 07:16
IMHO, the not-ready-for-the-masses part is wireless technology in general. There are no standards, those that exist are routinely violated by every manufacturer for a temporary microscopic marketing advantage, and the guy down the street who got a new wireless rig, or microwave, or cordless telephone for xmas is probably the reason your squeezebox dropped off the network.

I DJed for a dance workshop last fall, and we use wireless microphones for the teachers. Teachers love them, I hate them. They let the teacher move around but rivet the DJ in his chair, waiting for the guy with the 1000 watt CB radio in his car to drive by, overwhelm the base unit pre-amp and blow out the ears of the dancers. Well, all went well in the afternoon but during evening setup there was crosstalk on the wireless. We replaced all the cords from the base to the mixer, replaced all the batteries everywhere, couldn't find the problem. Long story short, it turns out there was nothing wrong with our setup. The hall below us had been rented out to a wedding, and the DJ there was using the same model wireless microphone set to the same channel. He didn't actually need the wireless mic, he was just using it to announce the next song, and a corded mic worked fine for him. He just liked the wiress bit. We asked him nicely and he agreed to use his corded mic for the night. Problem solved. He probably sounded better, too.

Why don't people like wires more? They're just so much more reliable ...

Michaelwagner
2005-12-30, 14:42
By the way, you might want to vote for this bug:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1946

guano
2006-08-20, 18:34
was having dropouts for a couple of days using wirelees connection on a sb3/dlink624 then today it just stopped working. no wireless connectivity at all. tried the reinter ssid etc. to no avail, just no connection with the router. I'm running wep64 but that wasn't the problem. sb3 showed 73% in current settings fore wireless but wouldn't connect. decided to try changing things on the sb3 one at a time to find the problem. long story short, when I changed the mac address of the sb3 problem solved. I had always thought macs were hardwired but not in this case. the origional was something like ff ff ff fa 00 00 or something to simular. I changed it to a bunch of random pressings on the remote and it works.

SoftwireEngineer
2006-08-20, 22:20
was having dropouts for a couple of days using wirelees connection on a sb3/dlink624 then today it just stopped working. no wireless connectivity at all. tried the reinter ssid etc. to no avail, just no connection with the router. I'm running wep64 but that wasn't the problem. sb3 showed 73% in current settings fore wireless but wouldn't connect. decided to try changing things on the sb3 one at a time to find the problem. long story short, when I changed the mac address of the sb3 problem solved. I had always thought macs were hardwired but not in this case. the origional was something like ff ff ff fa 00 00 or something to simular. I changed it to a bunch of random pressings on the remote and it works.

I called Tech Support on this. The MAC address on the SB3 seems to get reset now and then. TS says, it happens when there is a power surge. Since I have a power conditioner, i think this happened when I unplugged.
You can go to Current Settings and can change the MAC address. The correct address is on the sticker on the bottom on the SB3.
Still I am getting dropout in my audio while stream WAV files. Softsqueeze on my laptop in the same position seems to work fine. I think I will call TS again.

Rambaud
2006-08-22, 10:17
I called Tech Support on this. The MAC address on the SB3 seems to get reset now and then. TS says, it happens when there is a power surge. Since I have a power conditioner, i think this happened when I unplugged.
You can go to Current Settings and can change the MAC address. The correct address is on the sticker on the bottom on the SB3.
Still I am getting dropout in my audio while stream WAV files. Softsqueeze on my laptop in the same position seems to work fine. I think I will call TS again.

Thank you - saved me a lot of time and hassle. :)