PDA

View Full Version : Playing songs not in library

alex_london
2005-12-18, 20:22
Hi all...

Is there any way I can play songs that are not in my SlimServer library (and keep them out of it after playing them)?

My library consists of FLAC files only, all ripped from my CD collection. On occassion however, I'll get a stray MP3 or other sound file that I might want to play too...

However, as I know these files haven't gone through the process of being properly tagged etc I don't want them in my library messing up my carefully crafted database!!! Not to mention the fact that they're compressed using a lossy codec!

Is there any way this can be done?

Cheers,
Alex

JJZolx
2005-12-18, 20:46
Is there any way I can play songs that are not in my SlimServer library (and keep them out of it after playing them)?
Nope. Drives me crazy, too. :)

I believe this capability is being worked on for SlimServer 6.5, which will be the next major release of SlimServer. Still a ways off, but maybe you can jump in on the beta when it stabilizes a bit more.

danco
2005-12-18, 21:40
On 18/12/05 at 19:22 -0800, alex_london wrote
>Hi all...
>
>Is there any way I can play songs that are not in my SlimServer library
>(and keep them out of it after playing them)?
>
>My library consists of FLAC files only, all ripped from my CD
>collection. On occassion however, I'll get a stray MP3 or other sound
>file that I might want to play too...
>
>However, as I know these files haven't gone through the process of
>being properly tagged etc I don't want them in my library messing up my
>carefully crafted database!!! Not to mention the fact that they're
>compressed using a lossy codec!
>
>Is there any way this can be done?

It *could* be done, but I don't know if it is worth the effort (or
cost). You could use a program that broadcasts sound, and use an
Internet radio playlist.

--
Daniel Cohen

alex_london
2005-12-19, 08:24
I did consider that... cost is not an issue, as VLC supports audio (and video) streaming to the network... and it's free! I tinkered with it a bit but haven't been able to get it to work.

Having said that, I only spent 5 minutes on it, but as soon as I get some time I'll try and get it to work.

Will let you guys know.
Cheers,
Alex

alex_london
2005-12-19, 08:25
Just to add something - all this should be possible, but the ideal solution for me would be to control all this through SlimServer.

Perhaps something like "Browse Music Folder" which plays stuff but doesn't add them to the library...

radish
2005-12-19, 08:27
What I've done in this situation is copy the file into the music folder, play it with Browse Music Folder, then delete it and hit rescan. I don't seem to have the same problems some people do with rescanning so it's pretty transparent to me.

Steve Bernard, Jr
2005-12-19, 12:59
What I do for this sort of thing is run an Apache webserver on the
same machine as Slimserver. I put the mp3s I want to listen to in a
folder underneath the webroot, and then use the Internet Radio "Tune
In Now" to point to the URL (like http://localhost/mp3temp/newsong.mp3
). This will play the track, but treat it like an Internet radio
station and thus not add it to the db.

-Steve