PDA

View Full Version : Readable from 30'

nicketynick
2005-12-18, 18:31
I've just about got all the pre-purchase WAF issues worked out - but I need to confirm - are we going to be able to read the display sitting on couch, when it is sitting 25-30 feet away, and 9 feet up from floor-level? I don't think I'm going to get it any closer, and I certainly can't move the couch!

Thanks,

Nick

ezkcdude
2005-12-18, 18:51
30 feet? That must be a huge room. I certainly could not see it from that distance, but I probably need to get glasses.

mrfantasy
2005-12-18, 19:07
I think it will be a bit tricky. You'll need the brightest setting, and you might need to set the display in 1-line mode, unless your eyes are really good.

Mine's about 11 feet away from the sofa. I can read it okay, my wife has trouble. I don't know of any display you'd be able to read from 30 feet short the TV itself.

I've just about got all the pre-purchase WAF issues worked out - but I need to confirm - are we going to be able to read the display sitting on couch, when it is sitting 25-30 feet away, and 9 feet up from floor-level? I don't think I'm going to get it any closer, and I certainly can't move the couch!

Thanks,

Nick

nicketynick
2005-12-18, 19:41
Thanks for the replies. Not sure what I'll do now. This isn't a TV area - its the living room & dining room - no unsightly appliances or wires allowed. I just about have an exception for a SB3 and a pair of active speakers if I can do it discreetly with basically no footprint, but if that distance is impractical.....guess I'll have to think of some other way of setting it up

Kyle
2005-12-18, 21:05
Thirty feet is a real stretch, but the display doesn't have to be readable at all times -- only when browsing and to identify what track's playing mostly, unless you really want the clock or other plug-in text function. Don't give up on an ideal WAF-approved installation just because you might have to take a few steps every now and then.

JJZolx
2005-12-18, 22:36
Binoculars.

tyler_durden
2005-12-18, 22:52
I think you can get software for a PDA with wireless networking and use it as the remote control for the slimserver. The PDA would then display the info right in your hand. I don't know if you can control volume that way, but many PDAs have IR ports and remote control software available as well.

TD

brothers
2005-12-19, 01:03
Get a Nokia 770 Web Tablet - no additional software required.

- Dennis Brothers

Grahame
2005-12-19, 03:26
I'd second the vote for the 770.

You use it as a remote for the squeezebox, by controlling the SB via a web interface, served up from the machine/pc running slimserver.

It also has the WAF advantage that the SB can now be hidden completely, since it is no longer controlled by line-of-site IR.

Plus, it gives you an excuse to buy a 770. You know you want to.

"I bought it, to help hide the wires. Honest. Dear."

nicketynick
2005-12-19, 06:58
Unfortunately, Canadians don't get the 770 yet - and no indication as to when, if ever, we will. A PDA is the ultimate elegant solution, I can even hide the SB3 (hmmm, starts to look a little like a Sonos, doesn't it? - but still cheaper and more flexible), but then I'm starting to push the $$ envelope. Looks like I'll have to step back and take a stealth approach - just a little bit at a time......
Thanks for the input!

nicketynick
2005-12-19, 07:00
Binoculars.

Haha, always a funny-man around!

Michaelwagner
2005-12-21, 21:41
curved lens on the front of the unit.

http://www.soundbytes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=SB&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=104010

http://www.50plushealth.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=2924

http://www.lowvisionproducts.com/maganbar.htm

nicketynick
2005-12-22, 07:33
That's a clever solution, Michaelwagner. May be a little hard to implement, but if there is no other way......
I'm not going to make any cracks as to why you might have thought of this, given your ranking! <:)
I sure am thankful for this community. When I'm out looking for components to build up the whole-home system (I'm starting from scratch), I just get blank stares when I explain I'm building it up around a streaming device called the Squeezebox. I am managing to build some hype around me though - a colleague went in on the 2for1 with me, and I know I'll be doing demos at my neighbour's - he has an awesome system, and I'll bet he'll be placing an order in no time! And once you have one in the house..... So there will be people other than me looking for systems to put in 'secondary' rooms, and we may be able to get some retailers interested.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-22, 08:08
There's a retailer near you ... Kawartha TV, in Peterborough.

http://www.kawarthatv.com/

Say hello to Peter if you go there ... I knew him many years ago when he lived in Toronto.

nicketynick
2005-12-22, 09:15
Believe me, I've thought many times about it, but Peterborough is 2.5 hrs from here (I think Ottawa would be quicker) - but its extremely difficult to find the time to make a road-trip like that without another reason (read as 'if she wants to go to'!)
I don't care what anybody says to the contrary - WAF makes the world go round!

Michaelwagner
2005-12-22, 09:23
There's one in Ottawa too, isn't there?
http://www.travel-net.com/

nicketynick
2005-12-22, 09:33
There sure is - in fact I've talked to the guy at travel-net. He's actually the official Canadian distributor - they all get their stock through him. But's it's still almost a 2 hour trip, so unless the boss wants to go on a weekend (and then I get dragged around IKEA for hours on end).....

Michaelwagner
2005-12-22, 15:17
I'm not going to make any cracks as to why you might have thought of this, given your ranking! <:)
Yeah, they all seemed to be aimed at seniors, didn't they. But I learned about magnifying bars in a library, where they had them to read old manuscripts (or something similar, maybe geneological records?).

By the way, I'm not sure how I became a "senior contributor" or whatever the forum calls me. I certainly didn't ask for this. And AFAIK, other people who have made more posts to the forum are still considered "junior" by the forum software, so I don't get it.