PDA

View Full Version : Network problems with WIRED SB3

RobP
2005-12-18, 11:33
I've noticed most of the discussion re: network problems is with wireless connections, but I have a wired SB3 that displays many of the same characteristics - sometimes...

If I use a pre-made (molded ends) ethernet cable to connect to my router, the SB3 seems to work great. Menu selection is snappy, no dropouts, etc. I also get 0% packet loss if I ping the SB3 from the server.

If I use and in-wall ethernet jack (wired using cat5E cable, terminated properly, and plugged into the same router port as above) I get dropouts every couple of seconds, slow menu response from the reomte - totally unusable. Pinging the SB3 from the server, I get between 40-50% packet loss. BUT, If I unplug the SB# from this cable and plug it into my DELL laptop, I get 0% packet loss - go figure!

So, it looks like the cable itself isn't bad, but I can't figure out why the SB3 will work with the pre-made cable and not the in-wall cable.

Any suggestions??

Thanks - Rob

stinkingpig
2005-12-18, 11:39
>
> I've noticed most of the discussion re: network problems is with
> wireless connections, but I have a wired SB3 that displays many of the
> same characteristics - sometimes...
>
> If I use a pre-made (molded ends) ethernet cable to connect to my
> router, the SB3 seems to work great. Menu selection is snappy, no
> dropouts, etc. I also get 0% packet loss if I ping the SB3 from the
> server.
>
> If I use and in-wall ethernet jack (wired using cat5E cable, terminated
> properly, and plugged into the same router port as above) I get dropouts
> every couple of seconds, slow menu response from the reomte - totally
> unusable. Pinging the SB3 from the server, I get between 40-50% packet
> loss. BUT, If I unplug the SB# from this cable and plug it into my DELL
> laptop, I get 0% packet loss - go figure!
>
> So, it looks like the cable itself isn't bad, but I can't figure out
> why the SB3 will work with the pre-made cable and not the in-wall
> cable.

All Ethernet components are not made equally. Your Dell card's network
driver is doing something to compensate; I bet if you try downloading an
ISO with that laptop over that wire you'll see terribly slow performance,
even though ping works.

>
> Any suggestions??
>

I'd tear up the wall box and recrimp.

--
Jack At Monkeynoodle.Org: It's A Scientific Venture...
"Believe what you're told; there'd be chaos if everyone thought for
themselves." -- Top Dog hotdog stand, Berkeley, CA

MrC
2005-12-18, 16:02
So, it looks like the cable itself isn't bad, but I can't figure out why the SB3 will work with the pre-made cable and not the in-wall cable.
Rob

A cable and/or jacks that are not in spec will create exactly these types of problems. What is likely happening is that your other devices are falling back to 10mbit, and the SB3 does not. Thus, you see errors.

Most likely the problems has to do with how the cable was connected to the inwall jack, and that the proper spec was not followed. This is critical for operating at 100mbit w/out errors.

RobP
2005-12-19, 06:16
Thanks Guys,

I was VERY careful this time when terminating the cable ends, and found that it solved the problem. I had never had problems before, likely because I still have a bunch of 10 Mbps devices so I never worried about getting 100 Mbps throughput. Now I guess I have to go reterminate everything else in the house, just to be sure.

Rob

MrC
2005-12-19, 10:12
Thanks Guys,

I was VERY careful this time when terminating the cable ends, and found that it solved the problem. I had never had problems before, likely because I still have a bunch of 10 Mbps devices so I never worried about getting 100 Mbps throughput. Now I guess I have to go reterminate everything else in the house, just to be sure.

Rob
Good stuff! It is hard for many folks to fathom the criticality of untwisting less than 1/2" of cat5e cable required for error-free operation.

This is my favorite reference I like to point new cable-makers to: http://www.lanshack.com/make-cat5E.asp