PDA

View Full Version : SB3 loses connection to SlimServer

stoobie-doo
2005-12-17, 21:50
I am having frequent occasions where I am streaming to the SB3 and at some point, the SB3 loses connection to the SlimServer and the SlimServer reports Contol Connection failed.

Sometimes connecting to SqueezeNetwork seems to fix the problem, but lately it is getting harder and harder to reestablish that connection.

Is this a router issue? (SMC router)?
Wifi strength issue?
PC with the server is running Blackice - I have UDP and TCP ports 3483 and TCP 9000 always enabled.

Any ideas?

stoobie-doo
2005-12-19, 10:38
Bump... anyone else had this problem and solved it?

When I lose connection to the SlimServer, the SB3 will reconnect on its own anywhere from 15-60 minutes later.

On the PC with the SlimServer, I get a "Could not connect" error message in IE, although usually I can connect to the SlimServer from another PC on the same network. I then see that the Control Connection can not be established.

Is this a router issue? Server issue? SB3 issue? All three?

Kyle
2005-12-19, 11:30
Try doing a reset of the SB3 by holding down the remote control power button until it cycles and then re-establishing your network settings. It worked for me when my unit began losing the signal after working just fine for the first 3-4 days that I had it, and it also seems to have worked for others. One poster here said he does a reset every day just to avoid problems -- kind of like restarting your computer every now and then to clear the bugs out.

stoobie-doo
2005-12-19, 13:11
This isn't losing an IP address, this is losing mid-stream the connection to the SlimServer (imagine if you were listening to a streamed CD, and on song 4, the connection is lost). The SB3 knows the address of the server, it just can't seem to maintain the connection until some period of time when it reestablishes itself. This is happening more than once per day, and does not sound like something you would just reboot to fix. Or is it?
Is there something I should be logging that might indicate what is going on?

Kyle
2005-12-19, 13:30
This is happening more than once per day, and does not sound like something you would just reboot to fix. Or is it?

It won't cost you anything to try.

MrC
2005-12-19, 13:49
stoobie-doo,

Not knowing what version of slimserver you are running, there is a Server & Network Health section under Help that can help you diagnose the problem. If you don't have this, you'll need the latest nightly builds. Enable the performance monitoring on the page, and stream away. Update the page to see the latest data. Also try the Network Test to understand the throughput you can expect. You can report back you findings if you don't understand what all the data is telling you.

stoobie-doo
2005-12-19, 14:11
stoobie-doo,

Not knowing what version of slimserver you are running, there is a Server & Network Health section under Help that can help you diagnose the problem. If you don't have this, you'll need the latest nightly builds. Enable the performance monitoring on the page, and stream away. Update the page to see the latest data. Also try the Network Test to understand the throughput you can expect. You can report back you findings if you don't understand what all the data is telling you.

That was the window that I would leave open while streaming my music. It is on that screen that I see "Control Connection" lost when the SB3 loses connection to the SlimServer (I am running 6.2.1). Unfortunately, I don't remember seeing anything else that gave more details other than that the connection was lost. That screen was what told me to open port 3483 on the server, which I have done, to no avail.
It is also this screen where I see that contact with the server is lost (the IE server not found message) around the time that I lose the connection. Refreshing the browser brings back the display, but does not restore the connection. I haven't found the special sauce yet to force the connection to be restored (of course, I'd rather not lose it in the first place).

macattack
2006-01-07, 06:23
I'm losing connection as well but it happened when I added a SB3 to my setup.

I'm running a linksys wrt54g with tailsman 1.1/Basic firmware with mac address filtering, SSID hidden and WPA encryption. My SB2 always worked flawlessly with this setup.

I just received my SB3 and added it to the network, it seems that whenever both squeezeboxes are on, I start having network difficulties: basically, it connects, I can listen for a bit and then it loses its connection to slimserver.

[Note, I am not streaming from both SB's at the same time: one is running super date time and the other playing music. Even after I shut one of them off, I experience the same dropped connections. The router hasn't rebooted either. SB2 gets 75% wireless signal strength and SB3 gets 100%. Also, am using slimserver 6.2.1 firmware 28].

radish
2006-01-07, 10:09
So hang on - you're saying that the SB3 loses it's connection and the browser loses it's page at the same time? And the browser & server are on different machines? And you're running wireless? Sounds like the wireless connection is burping. I would guess either interference or the router rebooting (surprisingly common). If you can either switch to wired or try another router you may be able to eliminate some possibilities.

EDIT: s/wireless/wired