PDA

View Full Version : Sb3

themillars
2005-12-17, 06:06
Just connected my brand new SB3 and now every song is playing jittery (starts fine but then start juddering). This is the same setup as my SB2 and it worked fine. Radio play OK so must be some sort of buffer thing going on. Any ideas?

radish
2005-12-17, 08:39
Did you upgrade slimserver at the same time? Is it rescanning?

themillars
2005-12-19, 02:59
Nope. Its completed the scan and its still doing it. As I said all I've done is swapped out the SB2 for the SB3.

All I can say is great device, but you need a higher level of knowledge than me to install and set them up.

Miffed!!!

radish
2005-12-19, 07:41
Give support a call - they should be able to help.

fmayhar
2005-12-21, 21:08
I saw these exact symptoms on my shiny new SB3. After looking in these forums and checking the stats on my access point, I replaced it. Problem solved.

One thing to check is the "server and network health" link on the server page. It watches the quality of the connection as well as a few other parameters. It turned out I was getting hundreds of errors per minute, enough to reduce throughput to 14kBps or so. Not enough to keep the SB3 buffer filled.

themillars
2005-12-22, 10:02
Been scanning through some of the other posts elsewhere and it would seem that I'm not alone in having wireless problems. It would seem that the SB3 is not quite so connect friendly as the SB2 and has problems with MIMO technology and a few other things.

However the forum certainly helps with ideas. Although it sort of begs the question of whether or not a product is well thought out if it takes so many people so much time posting in order to get it up an running.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-22, 19:53
Well, it's hard to know if the problem is with Slim or with the wireless "technology". There doesn't seem to be much in the way of standards, everyone has their own turbo/speedboost/whatever non-standard. I thought 802.11 was a standard, but most vendors have added their own extensions to them, to the point where interoperation is ... problematic.

I think wireless is where cell phones were 15 years ago ... not yet ready for prime time.

15 years ago I travelled a lot for work. I had a cell phone in my car that wasn't much smaller than the car battery. Talking while driving (especially roaming in the USA) was an exercise in frustration. When the cell towers didn't drop you in the transition, they dinged you for $5/day on your first encounter with that fiefdom. And when it did work, you often couldn't understand the other person.

They were great if had a need for them, but not ready for prime time for the average user.

But they fixed it. And they'll fix wireless ethernet. In time.

In the mean time, if you want to swim in those waters, you should know the surf gets choppy at times.