PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to wireless network

luuk
2005-12-17, 03:49
Hi,

SB2 has been running normally for the best part of a year now on my wireless network. Last night I accidentally disconnected its powersupply. When I reconnected it it went into setup network mode. The 128 bit WEP key was gone, but everything else appeared normal (i.e. it found my network). Despite repeated attempts it now refuses to connect to the network. I have triple-checked the wep key, and it has been correctly entered. I rest SB2 to factory defaults, to no avail. I reset the router, but that made no difference either. I restarted the computer running SlimServer, again to no avail.

I am stuck.

Luuk

NB. The crucial thing to remember is that everything worked fine before and no changes were made to router, computer or anything else after the powercut occurred.

luuk
2005-12-17, 06:15
I played around a little more and discovered that if I switch off restrict access to wireless network to the following MAC addresses SB2 works again. That suggests that the problem is with the Linksys WAG54G router rather than with SB. However, the odd thing is that all 4 other machines (2 laptops, a desktop and a PDA) work fine. So what is going on?

Luuk

ceejay
2005-12-17, 07:47
Have you checked that the SB2 still thinks it has the MAC address that you think it has? (check the settings via the remote interface). There is a mode where the SB2 resets its MAC address to something odd, this might have happened when your power failed.

You can reset it to the original as printed on the label...(as I recall by pressing right when viewing the MAC address in settings)

Ceejay

luuk
2005-12-17, 09:10
You may well be right. I checked the player settings in SlimServer and the MAC address is different from what it should be. How do I correct this?

MrC
2005-12-17, 10:43
You need to reset the MAC address. Try disconnecting the power, hold down Add, reconnect power, wait for "Factory Reset", release the Add button.

luuk
2005-12-17, 12:19
This is very frustrating. I reset the SB2 just as you suggested, but the MAC address is not an option. I had to fill in a whole lot of info (WEP; static IP address etc), but no MAC address.

I read somewhere else that one could reach this info via settings, option 11 or so. Again, no luck, my settings only run to 10 and none of them relate to the MAC address.

Why doesn't the manual say anything about this address? Who knows what might be going on?

Luuk

JJZolx
2005-12-17, 12:34
This is very frustrating. I reset the SB2 just as you suggested, but the MAC address is not an option. I had to fill in a whole lot of info (WEP; static IP address etc), but no MAC address.

I read somewhere else that one could reach this info via settings, option 11 or so. Again, no luck, my settings only run to 10 and none of them relate to the MAC address.

Why doesn't the manual say anything about this address? Who knows what might be going on?
I believe MrC was suggesting doing a factory reset to restore the MAC address to the original. Did that not work?

Here's how you can change it (at least this works on my SB2 with firmware 28):

* On the remote, press and hold the left-arrow button until the SB goes into 'Squeezebox Setup'.

* Scroll down to 'View current settings'. Press right-arrow.

* Scroll down to 'MAC address'.

Verify whether it's correct. If not, press right-arrow to enter a new MAC address.

luuk
2005-12-17, 13:06
Ohhhhhh. Thanks a lot; I had completely forgotten about the left arrow button. That indeed got me into the right menu AND confirmed that the SB had reset the original MAC address. Since my wife is listening to internet radio at the moment I cannot rset the network to see the SB is recognised again, but I suspect this should not be a problem any longer. All of you, thanks.