View Full Version : Please help, Im going insane

Crazyfingers
2005-12-15, 20:08
Ok connect via ethernet

obtain IP address: Automatically (dhcp)

the stupid gadget finds Ip address

then PROBLEM CANT CONNECT TO SLIM SERVER

over and over and over and over

is the IP ADDRESS THAT THE STUPID GADGET find the IP address for the SLIM SERVER?

Or is the SLIME SERVER IP address something totally damn different, if so where do I find this address and do I have to enter it manually

any help would be extremely extremely appreciated. I have had this stupid gadget for over a month, just sitting there like a paper weight.

thanks
Jim

JJZolx
2005-12-15, 20:38
Ok connect via ethernet

obtain IP address: Automatically (dhcp)

the stupid gadget finds Ip address

then PROBLEM CANT CONNECT TO SLIM SERVER

over and over and over and over

is the IP ADDRESS THAT THE STUPID GADGET find the IP address for the SLIM SERVER?

Or is the SLIME SERVER IP address something totally damn different, if so where do I find this address and do I have to enter it manually

any help would be extremely extremely appreciated. I have had this stupid gadget for over a month, just sitting there like a paper weight.
The IP adress that your Squeezebox "obtains" is an IP address for itself.

What is the IP address that it obtains? If it's a 169.254.x.x address, then it's not able to contact a DHCP server to obtain an address.

Do you have a DHCP server on your network? For instance, running on your router (most routers have a DHCP server, although it's often disabled)?

If you're not running (or can't figure out how to run) a DHCP server, then you'll need to assign the Squeezebox an IP address manually. Instead of pressing the right-arrow on "Obtain an IP Address: Automatically (dhcp), press the down-arrow to manually enter one. The address will have to be an unused address on the same network as the SlimServer. For instance if the SlimServer is using address 192.168.0.6 you could use 192.168.0.7 with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0. In the Sqeezebox setup these are entered with three digits per octet, so you'd enter 192.168.000.007 and 255.255.255.000, respectively.

Crazyfingers
2005-12-15, 22:36
I dont know, Im not fluent in chinese.

I have a router, a PC, A squeezebox, and a cable modem. They are all hooked up correctly. When I try to use this device it does not work. It says for easy installation let the device find the IP address. Its finds one. Thats all I know. But nuthing works. Sorry Im stupid. I like music and want to listen to music on my onkyo stereo that is stored on my computer.

Thats why I bought this contraption from hell.

Any simple advice that a stupid person can understand would be appreciated

Thanks

radish
2005-12-15, 22:48
Call support. +1 650 210 9400

Crazyfingers
2005-12-15, 23:02
Completely automatic - This is the easiest choice for most networks. The Squeezebox will obtain its IP address using DHCP and will locate the server automatically using Slim Discovery Protocol

This doesnt work.

I have a d-link gamer lounge router.

I hate this Squeezebox with a passion. Please help me like it.

Thanks
Jim

JJZolx
2005-12-15, 23:02

I have a router, a PC, A squeezebox, and a cable modem. They are all hooked up correctly. When I try to use this device it does not work. It says for easy installation let the device find the IP address. Its finds one. Thats all I know. But nuthing works. Sorry Im stupid. I like music and want to listen to music on my onkyo stereo that is stored on my computer.

Thats why I bought this contraption from hell.

Any simple advice that a stupid person can understand would be appreciated

Watch the device while it's obtaining an IP address. As I said, if it's a 169.254.x.x address, then the "let the device find the IP address" isn't working correcly. If it's another address (like 192.168.x.x) then that part is probably working OK and you don't have to worry about it.

Are you running Windows XP operating system on your PC? Probably the single biggest reason for the "cannot connect" message is that the Squeezebox is being blocked from accessing SlimServer by the Windows XP's firewall, or possibly by another firewall that you might be running on the computer.

Here's how to check Windows Firewall:

Go to the Windows Control Panel and open up the Windows Firewall applet. If the firewall is turned "Off" then you're done, it's not blocking anything. If the firewall is "On" then click the "Exceptions" tab and see if you have three entries: Port 3483 TCP, port 3483 UDP and port 9000 TCP. If you don't, then add them. Then see if the Squeezebox will connect to the server.

Crazyfingers
2005-12-15, 23:05
no firewall on those 3 ports

Crazyfingers
2005-12-15, 23:07
yes it is a 169 address

Crazyfingers
2005-12-15, 23:13
So I presume that by luck, the automatic version of easy set up does not work for me. So what is the next step?

The address will have to be an unused address on the same network as the SlimServer. For instance if the SlimServer is using address 192.168.0.6 you could use 192.168.0.7 with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0. In the Sqeezebox setup these are entered with three digits per octet, so you'd enter 192.168.000.007 and 255.255.255.000, respectively.

where do I find the address the Slimserver is using?

tks

JJZolx
2005-12-15, 23:13
yes it is a 169 address
Ok, so the device is not getting a proper address on your network.

Did you say you're trying to connect to the router via wired ethernet or via wireless?

Crazyfingers
2005-12-15, 23:17
wired ethernet. cable modem is hooked into d-link gamer lounge router. from router has one ethernet cable going to pc, and another going to this gadget from hell

thanks

Crazyfingers
2005-12-15, 23:25
Easy to use and set up—It takes just a few minutes to install: simply load SlimServer, our powerful and free Open Source software, onto your computer and connect the player to your network. Squeezebox automatically configures itself and is ready to use.

This is a flat out LIE, maybe this should be removed from website.

Thanks
Jim

JJZolx
2005-12-15, 23:39
Crazy - check your private messages.

radish
2005-12-16, 08:32
Easy to use and set up—It takes just a few minutes to install: simply load SlimServer, our powerful and free Open Source software, onto your computer and connect the player to your network. Squeezebox automatically configures itself and is ready to use.

This is a flat out LIE, maybe this should be removed from website.

Thanks
Jim

Did you call support? I guess not. Send the thing back, get a refund, and give us all a break.

slimpy
2005-12-16, 08:50
And not fluent in English, either (what file type do you use to store a stereo...):

I like music and want to listen to music on my onkyo stereo that is stored on my computer.

@Crazyfingers: Do you have the slimserver software installed and running on your pc at all?

-s.

gjrhine
2005-12-16, 09:00
I Googled this router and found this about it -

Enhanced wireless technology for optimal range and connectivity – up to 108Mbps

Could it be another "Super" G problem?

Kyle
2005-12-16, 09:09
I Googled this router and found this about it -

Enhanced wireless technology for optimal range and connectivity – up to 108Mbps

Could it be another "Super" G problem?

He says it's wired through an ethernet cable. Couldn't be a wireless issue.

MrC
2005-12-16, 09:20
This guys is a troll.

Thank you, drive though.