PDA

View Full Version : help with slimserver

strifegeek
2005-12-15, 14:47
Hey everyone, I'm a complete noob when it comes to networking and I've been trying to figure out how to get SlimServer to work. I've been able to get it to work on my own LAN, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work over the Internet. This whole post is a little off subject, but I can't find the IP I need to run it right. I've visited those IP websites that give you your IP, but it just brings me to my router on my network, and not to the computer running SlimServer. Sorry if it seems like a stupid question.
Please help.

DrNic
2005-12-15, 15:30
Hey everyone, I'm a complete noob when it comes to networking and I've been trying to figure out how to get SlimServer to work. I've been able to get it to work on my own LAN, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work over the Internet. This whole post is a little off subject, but I can't find the IP I need to run it right. I've visited those IP websites that give you your IP, but it just brings me to my router on my network, and not to the computer running SlimServer. Sorry if it seems like a stupid question.
Please help.

Hi
Well for a complete "noob" you've done pretty well. At least you realised you need a permanent IP address! You reach your router with this method as this is the thing that is connected to that IP address. Your PC(s) "hide" behind the router on private addresses (usually 192.168.0.1 or variations on the theme). What you need to do is set up port forwarding on your router such that when you access the routers IP via the required port this is forwarded on to your relevant PC's private IP address and port. ie port 9090 or whatever. Beware though you are opening a hole in an otherwise good wall to the world. Ensure you have password access for your slimserver enabled (some don't - have a google for "Welcome to Slimserver"!!)...
There might be a little more to this but others will undoubtably jump in!!

Nic

strifegeek
2005-12-15, 16:10
Thanks, I already had port forwarding set up on my router, but after reviewing it I realized that I had forwarded SlimServer to an IP differnt from the one on my machine. Thanks for all the help.