PDA

View Full Version : Doing "next" (insert) in default web skin?

mcw
2005-12-15, 08:04
Hi guys - one thing I'm already missing (and I'm not allowed near my squeezebox until christmas day :-) - been using streaming to winamp as a surrogate :-) is being able to say "play this next" - i.e. insert it as the next thing in the playlist.

I can see that "play this next" is in the command set (as insert), but I can't find any way of doing it from the web interface using the default skin (works in fishbone but I don't like the skin).

Is it really the case that you can't do next/insert using the standard web interface? I hope not as it's something I often want to do (listening to a track - reminds me of something else - play that track next and then go back to whatever I was listening to).

Thanks in advance,

Mark

dropbear
2005-12-15, 09:08
Hi Mark,
when you are browsing or searching your music you will see a selection of either artists, albums or tracks, depending on how you are looking at your collection.

To the right of each line (artist/album/song) there are two buttons: the first is an arrow that plays the item immediately, and the plus will add the item to the end of your players playlist.

Pete

mcw
2005-12-15, 09:18
Hi Mark,
when you are browsing or searching your music you will see a selection of either artists, albums or tracks, depending on how you are looking at your collection.

To the right of each line (artist/album/song) there are two buttons: the first is an arrow that plays the item immediately, and the plus will add the item to the end of your players playlist.

Pete

Hi Pete - yes, I know about those. What I'm asking about is "play next" - i.e. insert as the first track after the one that's playing - insert at the start of the playlist rather than the end (without terminating the track that's currently playing). Slimserver knows how to do this - there's a command in the command-line interface for example, but I can't see anything for doing this in the default web skin :-(

dropbear
2005-12-15, 09:44
my bad! you are right - this function doesn't seem to be available in the default skin. I think this is one of the reasons that keven (kdf) wrote fishbone and why a lot of people use it.

I am sure that I saw a thread a while ago about this, but I cannot find it now, so I am not sure if this was going to be logged as a bug or fixed via a plugin.

Looking at the Default skin, the only way to "add next" is to add to the playlist and then move the song up the list. Of course if you have a couple of hundred songs in your playlist then this will take a while.

Just added an enhancement request here: http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2713. Vote on this to get it acted upon quicker.
thanks

Pete

kdf
2005-12-15, 11:25
Quoting mcw <mcw.203a6z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Hi Pete - yes, I know about those. What I'm asking about is "play next"
> - i.e. insert as the first track after the one that's playing - insert
> at the start of the playlist rather than the end (without terminating
> the track that's currently playing). Slimserver knows how to do this -
> there's a command in the command-line interface for example, but I
> can't see anything for doing this in the default web skin :-(
>

The function exists, as you know. However, each skin can make use of
the functions or not. In the case of Default, it is designed to be
less cluttered and so some functions aren't there. Fishbone skin was
designed to have lots of access to features, but it is heavily
cluttered.

-kdf

mcw
2005-12-19, 03:32
Quoting mcw <mcw.203a6z (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Hi Pete - yes, I know about those. What I'm asking about is "play next"
> - i.e. insert as the first track after the one that's playing - insert
> at the start of the playlist rather than the end (without terminating
> the track that's currently playing). Slimserver knows how to do this -
> there's a command in the command-line interface for example, but I
> can't see anything for doing this in the default web skin :-(
>

The function exists, as you know. However, each skin can make use of
the functions or not. In the case of Default, it is designed to be
less cluttered and so some functions aren't there. Fishbone skin was
designed to have lots of access to features, but it is heavily
cluttered.

-kdf

Thanks for that. I solved my problem - fishbone is the skin for me but I couldn't live with the colour scheme (it's well harsh on the TFT displays I use - kinda screams at you all the time).

Some web searching found me the alternative colour scheme (gray) - I changed the background of that from pure grey (OK, gray to the American readers) to a blue-grey (222233) and now it's pretty much perfect - good stuff.

One thing slimserver lacks is good documentation for all this - or even any in quite a few areas - which is a shame, because it's far more sophisticated that Slim Devices' documentation would have you believe.

Cheers,

Mark