PDA

View Full Version : Problemswith connecting via Wireless? Buy a new router.

owensutton
2005-12-14, 11:09
I had tonnes of problems when I first bought my SB3, most of which have been documented on this forum. I found a number of workarounds that worked for a day or two and then didn't. I was getting really cheesed off.

Eventually I was gonna send it back. But I thought it was worth one last attempt and doshed up 84 for a new router. Bit extreme I know, but when the SB3 worked it was great.

I bought a Netgear DG834GT. Plugged it in and it worked a dream. My SB3 found the network immediatley,and proceed to have an IP address assigned automatically - sweet as a nut.

I now have a redundant Linksys WAG54G, but I'm sure I can sell it on.

This is a success story, but I really do thik that Slim Devices should publish a list of router known to work and not work - save evryone a lot of hassle.

Robin Bowes
2005-12-14, 11:33
owensutton said the following on 14/12/2005 18:09:
>
> I now have a redundant Linksys WAG54G, but I'm sure I can sell it on.
>

The WAG54G was a piece of junk.

I had one and had nothing but problems with it. I eventually RMA'd it
and got a replacement. (Linksys replaced it with the latest model)

R.

JJZolx
2005-12-14, 11:42
This is a success story, but I really do thik that Slim Devices should publish a list of router known to work and not work - save evryone a lot of hassle.
That might be a good idea, but a better one would be to just fix the firmware, including all of the DHCP issues.

danco
2005-12-14, 15:48
That might be a good idea, but a better one would be to just fix the firmware, including all of the DHCP issues.

Though there are some SB issues, trying to get it to work with all routers is almost impossible, as it is quite clear that some problems are caused by the routers and their firmware. Wi-fi is just not as plug-and-play as one wants it to be.

LavaJoe
2005-12-14, 15:55
Interestingly enough, however, the Linksys WRT54G (different by two letters only!) is an awesome device. It runs open source GPL'd software, and you can install other open source Linux-based OS flavors (like OpenWRT, which I run - gives great new capabilities like iptables firewall support and ability to separate wireless from wired lan segments). It is rock solid and seems compatible to whatever I throw at it.

owensutton said the following on 14/12/2005 18:09:
>
> I now have a redundant Linksys WAG54G, but I'm sure I can sell it on.
>

The WAG54G was a piece of junk.

I had one and had nothing but problems with it. I eventually RMA'd it
and got a replacement. (Linksys replaced it with the latest model)

R.

Robin Bowes
2005-12-14, 16:30
LavaJoe said the following on 14/12/2005 22:55:
> Interestingly enough, however, the Linksys WRT54G (different by two
> letters only!) is an awesome device. It runs open source GPL'd
> software, and you can install other open source Linux-based OS flavors
> (like OpenWRT, which I run - gives great new capabilities like iptables
> firewall support and ability to separate wireless from wired lan
> segments). It is rock solid and seems compatible to whatever I throw
> at it.

Yes, I have one of those running Sveasoft firmware.

That was partly why I bought a WAG54G and made it all the more
disappointing that it was a POS!

R.

gjrhine
2005-12-14, 17:44
Interestingly enough, however, the Linksys WRT54G (different by two letters only!) is an awesome device. It runs open source GPL'd software, and you can install other open source Linux-based OS flavors (like OpenWRT, which I run - gives great new capabilities like iptables firewall support and ability to separate wireless from wired lan segments). It is rock solid and seems compatible to whatever I throw at it.
That sure runs counter to what Broadbandreports.com has been saying. -

As we've discussed, the latest (v5) version of the popular Linksys WRT54G hasn't met user expectations. Not only is it no longer open source, it has half the physical memory, and many users complained about the unit's performance. Our friends at Linksysinfo alert us to the fact that Linksys has released new firmware that should help some of the performance issues (download it here). Note that if you're buying a WRT54G for Christmas and want to use third-party firmware, you should purchase the new WRT54GL instead (or a v4 version of the WRT54G if you can find it).

LavaJoe
2005-12-14, 17:53
Well, mine is a version 1.1, so it's way before version 5. Hmm, I had not realized they went away from GPL - strange to do that, especially on a late version of an earlier model.

I don't know much about the WRT54GL, but it sounds from this that it's the way to go if getting a new one.

That sure runs counter to what Broadbandreports.com has been saying. -

As we've discussed, the latest (v5) version of the popular Linksys WRT54G hasn't met user expectations. Not only is it no longer open source, it has half the physical memory, and many users complained about the unit's performance. Our friends at Linksysinfo alert us to the fact that Linksys has released new firmware that should help some of the performance issues (download it here). Note that if you're buying a WRT54G for Christmas and want to use third-party firmware, you should purchase the new WRT54GL instead (or a v4 version of the WRT54G if you can find it).

vdorta
2005-12-15, 08:42
I just upgraded my WRT54G v5's firmware, I hope this fixes the IP problems I was having.

JulianL
2005-12-15, 11:33
Though there are some SB issues, trying to get it to work with all routers is almost impossible, as it is quite clear that some problems are caused by the routers and their firmware. Wi-fi is just not as plug-and-play as one wants it to be.
My problem with the SB is that it is so much more fragile than all my other 802.11 devices. It is very fussy about which of my wireless routers it will connect to whereas my Sony Clie, Dell Axim, 2004 X30 Dell laptop, 2005 X1 laptop, a 2005 Dell Inspiron laptop and just recently a new IBM laptop all connect with absolutely no problems to either of my routers. Because of this I do believe that Slim Devices could do a much better job with their 802.11 implementation.

- Julian

ChrisDev
2005-12-15, 17:16
Absolutely agree.

Squeezebox, excellent.

Wireless implementation, rubbish.

I have to run my squeezebox on a seperate unsecured wlan because it will not connect with WEP or WPA.

I run a Symbol WS2000 (Enterprise Wireless Switch). Happy to post any debug if I thought it would help.

dean
2005-12-16, 10:39
It would be most helpful to file a bug in our bugs database with as
much information as you can gather:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/

We're working closely with the provider of our OS and wireless
drivers to fix the outstanding wireless issues and the more
information we have, the better.

-dean

ChrisDev
2005-12-16, 10:59
OK, I'll run some tests over the weekend and post the results here. If people think there is enough info to raise a bug, I'll go for it.