PDA

View Full Version : The servers that a Squeezebox sees

JJZolx
2005-12-13, 20:50
I recently assigned my Windows XP computer a second IP address and switched to HTTP port 80 so that I could more easily address the SlimServer without a port, and so that I could run Apache on port 80 at another IP address on the same machine. SlimServer had been at 192.168.9.11:9000 previously. I'm using the --httpaddr command line option to designate the IP address.

192.168.9.11 (audrey)
192.168.9.30 (slim) running SlimServer, HTTP port 80

I have two SB2's on my network. Both "see" the server named 'audrey' at the .11 address, but don't "see" the server at .30. I had to key in the IP address to connect. If I get into the network setup on either SB, it always shows the nonexistent server.

Is this a bug, with SlimServer incorrectly announcing that it's running on the .11 IP address?

Phil Karn
2005-12-13, 21:13
JJZolx wrote:
> I recently assigned my Windows XP computer a second IP address and
> switched to HTTP port 80 so that I could more easily address the
> SlimServer without a port, and so that I could run Apache on port 80 at
> another IP address on the same machine. SlimServer had been at
> 192.168.9.11:9000 previously. I'm using the --httpaddr command line
> option to designate the IP address.
>
> 192.168.9.11 (audrey)
> 192.168.9.30 (slim) running SlimServer, HTTP port 80
>
> I have two SB2's on my network. Both "see" the server named 'audrey'
> at the .11 address, but don't "see" the server at .30. I had to key in
> the IP address to connect. If I get into the network setup on either
> SB, it always shows the nonexistent server.
>
> Is this a bug, with SlimServer incorrectly announcing that it's running
> on the .11 IP address?

I suppose it is a bug, but I don't understand the point of what you're
trying to do. By using the alternate port 9000, a Slimserver can easily
co-exist with Apache on the same machine with a single IP address.

I haven't checked, but it seems likely that the Squeezeboxes discover
the slimserver by their zeroconf advertisements. They're made
symbolically, not numerically, so the Squeezebox that sees a Slimserver
advertisement will assume that it can connect to it on port 9000.

Again, what's the point of what you're trying to do?

JJZolx
2005-12-13, 21:53
> Is this a bug, with SlimServer incorrectly announcing that it's running
> on the .11 IP address?

I suppose it is a bug, but I don't understand the point of what you're
trying to do. By using the alternate port 9000, a Slimserver can easily
co-exist with Apache on the same machine with a single IP address.

I haven't checked, but it seems likely that the Squeezeboxes discover
the slimserver by their zeroconf advertisements. They're made
symbolically, not numerically, so the Squeezebox that sees a Slimserver
advertisement will assume that it can connect to it on port 9000.

I can see that if the SlimServer advertised itself as 'Audrey', and the Squeezebox resolves Audrey to the other IP address bound to the NIC, then there'd be a problem.

The other possibility is the Squeezebox remembers the server that used to run at the Audrey address. Short of doing a factory reset, I don't know how else to test that possibility.

The alternate port is a red herring. I see the same behavior if the port is set to the default 9000.

Again, what's the point of what you're trying to do?
Mostly just to simplify the server URL - I can just enter 'slim' in a browser address bar to call up the server's web UI. I see no good reason to run on an alternate HTTP port since I can easily configure additional IP addresses on the machine and use the standard HTTP port.

radish
2005-12-13, 22:23
The -httpaddr command just sets which IP to bind the web interface too. The squeezebox doesn't use the web interface, you need to use -playeraddr for that. However, I tried this a while ago and got everything up, but due to windows setting the same hostname on both interfaces (as far as I can tell there's no way to stop that) the SB got very confused and it really didn't work well. I gave up - but I blamed windows not slimserver :)

slimpy
2005-12-14, 02:30
Mostly just to simplify the server URL - I can just enter 'slim' in a browser address bar to call up the server's web UI. I see no good reason to run on an alternate HTTP port since I can easily configure additional IP addresses on the machine and use the standard HTTP port.

Jim,

I had the same thing in mind a while back and finally came to the following solution:
Set up a virtual host on the apache server with the name you would like to use to access the slimserver web ui.
Make apache redirect requests to port 9000.
Enter the new host name into the hosts file of your pc's - done.

If you like I can post my apache configuration tonight when I get home from work.

-s.