PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver / Network Storage / Bandwidth Question

branas
2005-12-13, 14:15
Hello,

I am anticipating getting a SB for christmas, so I would like to get SlimServer working in the meantime. Here is my situation. I would prefer to leave all of my music on a shared network drive. I have a Gigabit switch and the shared drive (maxtor) is capable of 100MB. Can I/Should I run SlimServer by connecting to the network drive? Does it read ahead far enough to prevent dropouts? I currently have mostly .flac, .shn, and .wav files if that makes a difference (I'm sure it does). Does anyone have any luck with this configuration or does everyone keep their files local? Thanks for any help.

mrfantasy
2005-12-13, 14:23
FLAC files take about 700Kbps-1Mbps. Full, 44.1Khz stereo 16 bit WAV files (as in ripped from CD) are about 1.5Mbps.

So 100Mbps seems more than enough. Of course the story might be a little more complicated--mostly depending on the performance of your switch and PC. (remember your SlimServer will have to pull the data in from the drive and out to the Squeezebox over the network--full duplex might be advisable here.)

Read ahead would be controlled by both the OS you're running on and its buffering/caching algorithms, and of course the Squeezebox's internal buffer, which is usually more than adequate to handle fluctuations.

My guess it it will work fine unless you've got some dodgy old or cheap network gear that isn't really full 100Mbps bandwidth on each port.

branas
2005-12-13, 14:41
I have a Dell PowerConnect 2724 Gigabit switch. If I have to I have an extra IntelPro1000 Dual NIC that I could put in the computer that will be running Slimserver, though I'd rather not if I don't have to. I guess now I am wondering if Slimserver reads ahead far enough in order to prevent the PC from being the bottleneck (Fedora Core 4 on a PIII 733, 512MB of RAM). I can run Slimserver on a faster XP machine but would rather not. Thanks for your help.

edesilva
2005-12-13, 14:48
I'm running slimserver on an EPIA SP8000 800 MHz driven SFF PC running XP. Slimserver accesses my terastation and plays Apple Lossless though remote SB3s fine... and I'm just using a cheapo Linksys 10/100 switch...

branas
2005-12-13, 15:00
Thanks for the info edesilva, I guess I will continue with my plan to use network based storage.

hualon
2005-12-15, 08:43
I'm doing a similar setup and I've found it to be troublesome.

http://danforthsource.com/pics/sb_net.bmp

I get frequent (every 30-60 seconds) audio dropouts and nobody has been able to figure out why. I don't want to keep going out and buying new hardware until it works, I'm not made of money!

In my situation, the bottleneck is in step 3 of the file transfer process. I'm not sure if the Mac Mini can't handle the simultaneous receive and transmit streams appropriately or if SlimServer isn't reading ahead enough.

If I stream from the file server to the Mac Mini to playback locally through iTunes, I have no trouble whatsoever and the only differences in that situation are that the Mac Mini isn't transmitting much of anything and SlimServer isn't processing anything.