PDA

View Full Version : Apple to enter home audio market?

CardinalFang
2005-12-13, 01:39
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1412

Rumours are that they have a Roku-like boombox and other devices ready to be revealed in January.

Browny
2005-12-21, 08:21
If its an Apple product it will probably:

- Look Fantastic (going to struggle to beat SB3 though)
- Be easy to use (as long as you have a Mac!)
- Have a battery life you can measure in seconds
- The Battery will die 2 seconds after the warranty expires
- Not sound as good as the competition
- Be a sealed unit so it can't be fixed

...and best not to have one from the first batch as there is bound to be some kind of display feature!

(Apart from that I love iPods!!!!!)

JohnnyLightOn
2005-12-21, 10:58
^ This is funny, but I wouldn't underestimate Apple. They tend to make great consumer electronics that are easy to use, including on the PC. iTunes is fantastic software, utterly fantastic, on both the Mac and the PC. If you're their competitor, it's better to overestimate them than underestimate.

But they typically make closed systems that work best (or only) with their own software and formats. Being an open system is one of the things that distinguishes the SqueezeBox.

radish
2005-12-21, 11:04
itunes is fantastic software, utterly fantastic, on both the Mac and the PC.
You obviously have a different definition of fantastic than me :)

Listener
2005-12-21, 15:29
^ This is funny, but I wouldn't underestimate Apple. They tend to make great consumer electronics that are easy to use, including on the PC. iTunes is fantastic software, utterly fantastic, on both the Mac and the PC. If you're their competitor, it's better to overestimate them than underestimate.

But they typically make closed systems that work best (or only) with their own software and formats. Being an open system is one of the things that distinguishes the SqueezeBox.

I agree that Apple makes good comsumer electronics products. iTunes feels like a modern personal computer application. It displays lots of informtion on tracks and playlists without waiting for a command and the browser window panes are a slick way to narrow a search. iTunes feels like an interface for people who just want to play their music.

Slimserver has a passive, highly modal, underdocumented interface. It needs some re-thinking before it is useful to a wider range of customers. And the burden is on the customer to find and install the rest of the solution: software for ripping, tag editing and burning CD-Rs.

iTunes isn't a complete success for me yet but neither is Slimserver. I think the Airport Express was a toe in the water product; It doesn't have an interface where the AE box is and the sound quality needs work. Apple isn't serious about home music player hardware yet. SlimDevices had better move the Slimserver/Squeezebox product along before Apple becomes the Gorilla in this market.

Bill