PDA

View Full Version : Creating my First Playlist. How?

balson
2005-12-12, 08:45
Using the web interface without a SB3. I just want to create a playlist so I can look at it's formost as it's stored on disk.

I can't do it. I can vrowse my 'music folder' and at the far right of all music files I see a '+' to 'add to playlist. When I do this, the following thigs happen (or do not happen):

1) When I go back to the top level interface and click on "Browse playlists", nothing is there.

2) When I goto the directory when I configured the server to look for playlists, it is empty. I killed the server and restarted it.

Using the web interface, how does one create a playlist that will have a specific name. I need to name the playlists. Right?

Is there any documentation on this process?

Thanks, Jim

radish
2005-12-12, 09:32
When you press the + button you'll see the item appear on the right hand side, that's the current playlist. Once you're happy with the contents (note you can add, remove, reorder to your heart's content) click the save button near the top of the right hand panel and give it a name.

balson
2005-12-12, 09:46
When you press the + button you'll see the item appear on the right hand side, that's the current playlist. Once you're happy with the contents (note you can add, remove, reorder to your heart's content) click the save button near the top of the right hand panel and give it a name.

Thanks for your reply, however, there is nottinhg that is appearing to the right hand side after I hit the "+" button. To be clear, the browser display is broken into 2 halfs, the left half and the right half. The left half is were the music/songs are displayed. The right side has the "play", "skip", "pause" buttone etc. Below that it says "Your Player was not found". and Below that are 2 blurbs entitled:

"If you own a Squeezebox:"

and

"If you do not own a Squeezebox:"

When I hit the "+" button to add the song to "the playlist", the right hand side of the brower window does not change. It is not updated in any way. The songs I selected does not appear anywhere on the right hand side of the browser window.

Therefore, that's why I am posting this message. Nothing appears to be happening when I "add to playlist". No .m3u file appears anywhere within the file system, and especially not the directory that I specified where playlists are to be kept.

Could it be that I am using Mozilla? Let me try.

Thanks, Jim

balson
2005-12-12, 09:49
Thanks for your reply, however, there is nottinhg that is appearing to the right hand side after I hit the "+" button. To be clear, the browser display is broken into 2 halfs, the left half and the right half. The left half is were the music/songs are displayed. The right side has the "play", "skip", "pause" buttone etc. Below that it says "Your Player was not found". and Below that are 2 blurbs entitled:

"If you own a Squeezebox:"

and

"If you do not own a Squeezebox:"

When I hit the "+" button to add the song to "the playlist", the right hand side of the brower window does not change. It is not updated in any way. The songs I selected does not appear anywhere on the right hand side of the browser window.

Therefore, that's why I am posting this message. Nothing appears to be happening when I "add to playlist". No .m3u file appears anywhere within the file system, and especially not the directory that I specified where playlists are to be kept.

Could it be that I am using Mozilla? Let me try.

Thanks, Jim

Well, even if I use Internet Explorrer, the same thing happens, except that the right hand side of the browser window appears to flash, like it briefly thought about updsating itself, but then decided not to at the last microsecond.

So, basically, I'm confused about how to crerate a playlist.

COuld it be the lack of a SB? I do not yet have one, but would like to buy on if I can figure out how to create playlists.

Thanks, Jim

mherger
2005-12-12, 10:40
>> "If you own a Squeezebox:"
>>
>> and
>>
>> "If you do not own a Squeezebox:"

Just to be sure: you read the rest of that text?

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
StringEditor Plugin (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

balson
2005-12-12, 11:05
>>
>> and
>>

--

Michael

Yea, but it tell me nothing about how to create playlists, or that creating a play list is impossible without a SB. I just have the SlimServer up and running on Soalris, and want to create a playlist and give that playlist a name. I do not want to play the music. Yet anyway.

From what I've seen, it doesn't appear possible via the web interface.

Jim

balson
2005-12-12, 11:07
>>
>> and
>>

--

Michael

The text on the right hand side of the browser window is as follows. It does not change in any way after I hit the "+" to "add to play list".

Here it is:

If you own a Squeezebox:

* Make sure that your player is plugged in and its networking settings are correct. Click the Refresh button once your player is connected.

If you do not own a Squeezebox:

* You can listen to your music library using SoftSqueeze, a software version of Squeezebox.
* You can use MP3 player software (such as WinAmp or iTunes) to listen to your music library with SlimServer by connecting to this URL: http://localhost:9000/stream.mp3

mherger
2005-12-12, 11:16
> Yea, but it tell me nothing about how to create playlists, or that
> creating a play list is impossible without a SB.

Ok, it doesn't tell you that it's impossible. But it gives you the
solution to the problem. Please try it.

> SlimServer up and running on Soalris, and want to create a playlist and
> give that playlist a name. I do not want to play the music. Yet anyway.

SlimServer is a streaming server in the very first place. Not a music
management tool. It therefore expects some sort of client to stream to.

--

Michael

radish
2005-12-12, 11:17
You have to connect some kind of player first. Then the introductory text on the right will go away and you can make playlists or whatever else. As the help text says, you can connect a Squeezebox, any streaming audio client (winamp, itunes, mplayer, whatever), or softsqueeze (recommended).

balson
2005-12-12, 12:35
You have to connect some kind of player first. Then the introductory text on the right will go away and you can make playlists or whatever else. As the help text says, you can connect a Squeezebox, any streaming audio client (winamp, itunes, mplayer, whatever), or softsqueeze (recommended).

Then let me ask this question then. Without a SB or some other player (I tried softsqueeze but get Java runtime erros at startup), can I create a playlist manually and have the web interface at least recognize the playlist?

I've created 2 playlists, 1 .m3u playlist and 1 .pls playlist. Each with a single song in them. I just want the web interface to be able to see them through the web interface. Is this possible without a SB?

Or is it that one has to have a player 'connected' before the software will be able to much of anything?

Right now, when I select "Browse Playlists", it comes up empty. I restarted the SlimServer too. But I don't see anything when attempting to browse the playlists.

My goal is to make certain that I can use the web software to convert and view all of my current playlists into something that the SlimServer will be able to recognize before I buy a SB or 2 or 3.

balson
2005-12-12, 12:43

OK, so I won't be attempting to create any playlisst with the web interface until some player is connected.

This seems odd though, to have to have a player connected before one can even attempt to create a playlist. Whether it ne a SB3 or SoftSqueeze, what you are saying is that the SB3 must sucking juice from the wall, or the SoftSqueeze application must be up and running before one can create a playlist. But I have to believe you, because I don't see anyway to create a playlist from the web interface and I do not have any clients either sucking power from the wall, or any applicatoins connected to the SlimServer. Odd.

So apparently I won't be able to crrate a playlist until after I buy the SB and power it on.

SoftSqueeae deosn't work for me. I get Java a fatal Java Runtime error when starting up SoftSqueeze.

Jim

snarlydwarf
2005-12-12, 14:15
You could use winamp (though it's nowhere near as nice as Softsqueeze... when Java behaves anyway).

Use 'open url' in winamp and feed it http://<serverip>:9000/stream.mp3

Then you'll have a player show up in the web interface.

You will pretty much have to use the web interface to control Winamp and it will buffer things (hitting next track on the web interface won't force Winamp to dump the buffer and start playing the next track, so it may take a couple seconds to actually switch), but it's better than nothing and easier than making Java behave when it gets into a mood.

(For some reason mine did the same thing this morning... launching softsqueeze from Firefox 1.0something brought up Softsqueeze which immediately exited... launching it from Firefox1.5 worked... even though they are both using the same java binary.. Why? No idea, and Firefox1.0whatever worked fine on Friday... oh, well, found a new Adblock that doesn't break things for Firefox1.5 so no more 1.whatever anyway. :))

Though I'll probably keep it around for whenever Java decides it doesn't want to run things from 1.5 any more...

radish
2005-12-12, 14:44
This seems odd though, to have to have a player connected before one can even attempt to create a playlist. Whether it ne a SB3 or SoftSqueeze, what you are saying is that the SB3 must sucking juice from the wall, or the SoftSqueeze application must be up and running before one can create a playlist.

Actually, no. The player doesn't have to be connected but a player must have been connected at some point. That tells the server that you've got things set up properly and it's OK to go about it's normal business. Currently it thinks you're in the middle of setting it up.

So apparently I won't be able to crrate a playlist until after I buy the SB and power it on.

Not true, you can fix your java install and use softsqueeze, or use any other streaming audio player, as has been suggested already a number of times.

SoftSqueeae deosn't work for me. I get Java a fatal Java Runtime error when starting up SoftSqueeze.

If you post the error someone can help with that.

I've created 2 playlists, 1 .m3u playlist and 1 .pls playlist. Each with a single song in them. I just want the web interface to be able to see them through the web interface. Is this possible without a SB?
Yes

Right now, when I select "Browse Playlists", it comes up empty. I restarted the SlimServer too. But I don't see anything when attempting to browse the playlists.

Did you rescan? Go to Server Settings and hit the rescan button, then wait until it's finished and try again.

My goal is to make certain that I can use the web software to convert and view all of my current playlists into something that the SlimServer will be able to recognize before I buy a SB or 2 or 3.
The web interface won't convert anything, but it will read m3u playlists.