PDA

View Full Version : Can you use Moose on a remote PC to control SB3?

Kyle
2005-12-12, 07:43
If so, how is the setup handled?

mattybain
2005-12-12, 10:52
Not sure exactly what you are referring to by a remote PC but I use Moose on a laptop to control my music server which is in the attic.

If this is what you want to do then it is simply a case of pointing Moose in the direction of the directory of the music files (which must be shared with all users)

Not worked out how to use the SQL database yet but I am quite happy just scanning the files directly in Moose for now.

With remote desktop in theory you can control the remote computer directly although I have been struggling as Moose keeps flickering in an unusable manner.

Kyle
2005-12-12, 11:33
I'm talking about using a network connection to control Moose like I can Slimserver using my laptop with a wireless connection to my network, where Slimserver is housed on my desktop.

mattybain
2005-12-12, 11:50
Yes that is exactly what I do. Simply move all your music to a shared location on your desktop computer i.e C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Music and make this accessible to all users.

Change the slimserver music location to this address and rescan.

Then install Moose on your laptop, point audio root at the right location (for my computer this is \\MEDIA-CENTER-AT\SharedDocs\My Music but this will be dependent on your desktop computer name.

Insert the correct MAC address and you after a quick scan it should work.

Dr Lovegrove
2005-12-13, 05:35
On 12/12/05, mattybain <mattybain.1zxutn (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> With remote desktop in theory you can control the remote computer
> directly although I have been struggling as Moose keeps flickering in
> an unusable manner.

Matt - check out the new 0.18 build.. The new background option might
sort the flickering.. If not, I'll install remote desktop and sort it..

--
- Dr Lovegrove
http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove

mattybain
2005-12-13, 14:15
I tried it still just as bad. I need to properly test it with some different computers to see if it is just my setup (Media center + Laptop) or a wider problem. I will get back to you.

It's funny because all other programs seem to run fine.

mattybain
2005-12-13, 14:23
Album art seems to have stopped displaying in the main window on 0.18 . Have just gone back to 0.17 and it is fine.

Dr Lovegrove
2005-12-14, 03:42
On 13/12/05, mattybain <mattybain.1zzz7n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Album art seems to have stopped displaying in the main window on 0.18 .
> Have just gone back to 0.17 and it is fine.

Oops.. 0.19 now up.. Also fixes the 'crazy' and 'insane' background modes.. ;-)

WRT flicker.. I have noticed a bit when debugging on XP, but when not
debugging it seems fine, so thought it was just a debug quirk.. Obviously
not.. Which bits flicker and when ? Is it related to moving the mouse over it
or anything like that ?

--
- Dr Lovegrove
http://www.rusticrhino.com/drlovegrove

mattybain
2005-12-14, 04:03
It flickers whenever you move the mouse over a button or a frame in the window, and also during the regular refresh. It is very off-putting but only ever flickers when using the remote desktop.

I will have a play around tonight and get back to you tomorrow.