PDA

View Full Version : Select a Music Source

rvlex
2005-12-11, 16:14
To start, I am not very computer savy. I managed to get the wireless network going and I have verified that I have DHCP going on. So when I try to obtain the IP address automatically, it gives me an IP but then the next step asks me to select a music source. I have slim server up and running and I have tried the IP for my CPU but to no avail. I have tried the specific IP but I cannot find my DNS server address. Very frustrating it is. Any help would be much appreciated!

dean
2005-12-11, 18:02
rvlex,

Do you have a firewall running on your computer? If so, you'll need
to disable it.

<http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_faq.html#networking-firewall>

Let us know if that helps.

-dean

On Dec 11, 2005, at 3:14 PM, rvlex wrote:
> To start, I am not very computer savy. I managed to get the wireless
> network going and I have verified that I have DHCP going on. So
> when I
> try to obtain the IP address automatically, it gives me an IP but then
> the next step asks me to select a music source. I have slim server up
> and running and I have tried the IP for my CPU but to no avail. I
> have
> tried the specific IP but I cannot find my DNS server address. Very
> frustrating it is. Any help would be much appreciated!

rvlex
2005-12-11, 23:30
I have tried with the firewall totally disabled and I have also done it after following the directions in the manual for the firewall exceptions. Same result.

snarlydwarf
2005-12-11, 23:41
What IP is it getting?

There is a "I can't find my network, but I'm a network device so I will make up an IP" that it could have. That is 169.254.something. If you're seeing that, it's not seeing your DHCP server: something is up in your networking.

Are you using wired or wireless?

If it's getting an IP number that's similar to your PC's then it's a firewall or server-startup problem.

rvlex
2005-12-12, 21:29
I am getting the 169.254 one. I am doing it wireless. My wife has a laptop using the 2wire router. Could this be an issue? Thanks for the help so far. This device is not for the no tech savy so far!