PDA

View Full Version : Possible Enhancement - (slight) support for multiple file format music libraries

GregD
2005-12-11, 05:22
Don't know if this might be useful to others - but interested to find out.

I keep two copies of my music - a lossless version for SlimServer - and a lossy one for my iPod. I use iTunes and MusicMagic as well as SlimServer to manage this library.

I only want to use the lossless files (and a small number of downloaded lossy files) in SlimServer - and by keeping things in sensible directories this works well.

I keep both formats in iTunes and MusicMagic and use filters and smart playlists to make sure I'm getting the files I want depending on what I want to do (ie iTunes - only put lossy files on the iPod - MusicMagic - only mix lossless files for the SlimServer). I use the iTunesUpdate plug-in plus some scripts to keep the iTunes last played details in sync across file types.

Only issue is that if I let SlimServer talk to iTunes or MusicMagic it adds all the lossy files to the SlimServer database and I end up with duplicated lossy versions of all the lossless music - which messes up the SB interface (and makes it hard to play the right files).

So I'd be interested in a 'don't add extra files' setting for the iTunes and MusicMagic plugins - which would gather the extra info for the tracks SlimServer already had - but didn't add new files. The new files would only be added by scanning the directories I specify. Is this of interest to anyone else?

- Greg

gjrhine
2005-12-11, 06:18
It depends on how many people have the space and inclination to keep two copies of their music. Probably not many.

jhwilliams
2005-12-11, 22:38
It depends on how many people have the space and inclination to keep two copies of their music. Probably not many.

Well I do... I rip to FLAC and I have an ipod which means having two copies is necessary.

I suspect that a lot of the audiophile types will have the same issue. In fact, you might have more luck asking this in the audiophile forum.

I get around it currently with a bit of a hack.

Having a "see FLAC/AAC/etc files only" kind of filter would be a really useful feature (there might be another more elegant, existing solution that I'm not aware of).

GregD
2005-12-12, 03:31
Having a "see FLAC/AAC/etc files only" kind of filter would be a really useful feature (there might be another more elegant, existing solution that I'm not aware of).

That's a neater solution than I thought of - although it might be hard to implement (I don't think it's that easy to tell the differance between apple lossless and AAC files).

Another issue would be that I (and I suspect others) have some lossy files that have been downloaded etc - and so are only available in lossy formats.

I think a 'only include files from the directories I specify for scanning' would probably be easier.

clumsyoik
2005-12-12, 05:33
I only want to use the lossless files (and a small number of downloaded lossy files) in SlimServer - and by keeping things in sensible directories this works well.

How about an option:

"If multiple tracks have identical track/artist/album tags, then ignore all except the one with the largest filesize"

GregD
2005-12-12, 10:03
How about an option:

"If multiple tracks have identical track/artist/album tags, then ignore all except the one with the largest filesize"

That sounds like a really good idea. Anyone else like this idea?

rectorydp
2005-12-12, 10:11
A few people have been concerned about a related issue. Have a look at bug 775 and see if you want to add recommendations and/or support to a change.

BR
David

stokessd
2006-01-18, 21:39
I'm actually really interested in this as well. My wife and I both have iPODs and I've ripped my entire 800 CD's to MP3's and I'm planning on doing it again to FLAC and putting my CD's away in the closet rather than keeping them on shelves. The squeezebox is now going to be a key component in my digital audio portion of my stereo.

So I would like to be able to organize my music and deal with artists etc and be able to download the MP3 versions to our ipods, and only play FLAC versions to the squeezebox. So far, my mental solution is to keep two separate libraries and manage them independently.

Ideally, I'd like to have the music I typically enjoy ripped to FLAC for the squeezebox, and more casual music only ripped to MP3 and be able to "see" the MP3 library as well. If there is a linking between libraries to be able to play MP3's that don't have a FLAC version, then the SB system needs to be smart enough to play the FLAC file if there are both a FLAC and an MP3.

I suspect that all this "if then" stuff is beating a dead horse and I should always rip to FLAC and then re-rip from flac to MP3. The FLAC data is HUGE compared to the MP3 data, and I will always have duplicate libraries.

I do think this is an issue for many ipod carrying audiophiles. Or at least semi-audiophiles. I am willing to take a little hit in sound quality to have a huge library on the pod, but not for the home stereo. So how are you others handling both FLAC and MP3 versions of the same music?

Sheldon

agentsmith
2006-01-19, 01:18
Redchair sells this excellent software for management of your ipod music. It has a feature called AudioMorph that transcode music to pre-dertermined MP3 formats for your iPod in real time.

The software is great for organizing your music.

However, I have not use mine for a while, not sure if it supports FLAC. Since iPod does not support FLAC, I have doubts.

Don't know if this might be useful to others - but interested to find out.

I keep two copies of my music - a lossless version for SlimServer - and a lossy one for my iPod. I use iTunes and MusicMagic as well as SlimServer to manage this library.

I keep both formats in iTunes and MusicMagic and use filters and smart playlists to make sure I'm getting the files I want depending on what I want to do (ie iTunes - only put lossy files on the iPod - MusicMagic - only mix lossless files for the SlimServer). I use the iTunesUpdate plug-in plus some scripts to keep the iTunes last played details in sync across file types.

Only issue is that if I let SlimServer talk to iTunes or MusicMagic it adds all the lossy files to the SlimServer database and I end up with duplicated lossy versions of all the lossless music - which messes up the SB interface (and makes it hard to play the right files).

So I'd be interested in a 'don't add extra files' setting for the iTunes and MusicMagic plugins - which would gather the extra info for the tracks SlimServer already had - but didn't add new files. The new files would only be added by scanning the directories I specify. Is this of interest to anyone else?

- Greg

agentsmith
2006-01-19, 01:18
http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/featpw.php

Redchair sells this excellent software for management of your ipod music. It has a feature called AudioMorph that transcode music to pre-dertermined MP3 formats for your iPod in real time.

The software is great for organizing your music.

However, I have not use mine for a while, not sure if it supports FLAC. Since iPod does not support FLAC, I have doubts.

agentsmith
2006-01-19, 01:20
Just found out that Anapod has plugin for FLAC

http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/featpw.php

Robin Bowes
2006-01-19, 03:11
stokessd said the following on 01/19/2006 04:39 AM:
> So I would like to be able to organize my music and deal with artists
> etc and be able to download the MP3 versions to our ipods, and only
> play FLAC versions to the squeezebox. So far, my mental solution is to
> keep two separate libraries and manage them independently.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to have the music I typically enjoy ripped to FLAC
> for the squeezebox, and more casual music only ripped to MP3 and be
> able to "see" the MP3 library as well. If there is a linking between
> libraries to be able to play MP3's that don't have a FLAC version, then
> the SB system needs to be smart enough to play the FLAC file if there
> are both a FLAC and an MP3.
>
> I suspect that all this "if then" stuff is beating a dead horse and I
> should always rip to FLAC and then re-rip from flac to MP3. The FLAC
> data is HUGE compared to the MP3 data, and I will always have duplicate
> libraries.

I was in exactly the same position.

The management overhead in just transcoding *some* tracs is too high.

I wrote flac2mp3 which takes a library of flac files and converts it to
a library of mp3 files - same structure, same tags.

http://projects.robinbowes.com/flac2mp3

R.

GregD
2006-01-19, 13:58
Hi Sheldon - I'm still using your tube DAC - although now mostly connected to the Squeezebox. Good to see you here.

I'm actually really interested in this as well. My wife and I both have iPODs and I've ripped my entire 800 CD's to MP3's and I'm planning on doing it again to FLAC and putting my CD's away in the closet rather than keeping them on shelves. The squeezebox is now going to be a key component in my digital audio portion of my stereo.

I do think this is an issue for many ipod carrying audiophiles. Or at least semi-audiophiles. I am willing to take a little hit in sound quality to have a huge library on the pod, but not for the home stereo. So how are you others handling both FLAC and MP3 versions of the same music?

I keep both sets of music (in my case Apple Lossless and AAC) in different directories, and all of them in iTunes. I use iTunes as a general tag editor & encoder. When I add new music I have to move some files to maintain the directory structure. I use smart playlists to make sure only the small files get onto the iPod.

I only tell the SlimServer about the Lossless files, and tell it NOT to talk to iTunes.

I found a workound to my MusicMagic problems - there are 'exclude' lists which can take wildcard filenames - so I can tell it to exclude the AAC directory. When I sync MM with iTunes I then only see the Lossless files - I can then use MM filters to give me unplayed playlists etc in SlimServer

iTunesUpdate keeps iTunes up to date and I have some scripts to keep playcount info in sync between the AAC and ALE files.

Only thing I don't have yet is the ability to crate MM playlists for the iPod - although I could do this with a 'translate playlist from ALE to AAC' script when I have time.

Phew!

mkosma
2006-01-20, 19:16
cool! according to the website, its AudioMorph transcode-on-the-fly feature supports FLAC and OGG and a few other oddities via a plugin available from them.

Michaelwagner
2006-01-21, 04:50
Just want to amplify on something said earlier: there is an enhancement request here:
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=775
if it fits what you want to see done, vote for it. The most voted for enhancement requests get priority.
Or perhaps http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2805