PDA

View Full Version : Have it running, sorta

Bruce S.
2005-12-10, 21:10
I am now running the Slimserver with Softsqueeze (I am waiting for my hardware to arrive later this month). I am testing out the whole, Rip->Compress->Store->Play cycle. The problem is that the Slimserver won't recognize the BRAND NEW Maxtor 200 G external drive where I am putting my music.

What do I have to do to get this to work? The obvious question is "Isn't this the standard way everybody stores their music?" I can't imagine anyone putting 100 G of music on their laptop C: drive.

This can't be tricky since this is not a WiFi networking issue. This is just accessing a drive by its letter.

Help!!!

Regards and thanks in advance

Bruce S.

Bruce S.
2005-12-10, 21:16
I think I got it to work on my own. Don't really know what I am doing but it has found the E: drive.

JJZolx
2005-12-10, 21:36
The obvious question is "Isn't this the standard way everybody stores their music?" I can't imagine anyone putting 100 G of music on their laptop C: drive.
I'll bet that relatively few people are using a laptop to run SlimServer, but are running it on something less portable, such as their desktop PC or a dedicated server. Mostly with internal disk drives for music storage.

That said, an external disk drive shouldn't present any special problems for SlimServer. If your operating system sees it, then SlimServer should also.

funkstar
2005-12-11, 05:49
thats right, slimserver doesn't really care where your music is stored as long as the OS can see it, then slim can as well. You could have the server running on one PC and everything stored on another. As long as you hvae a drive mapped to the PC slimserver is running on your files can be accessed by it (providing of course you tell it where to look for the files)