PDA

View Full Version : Soon-to-be user with iTunes question

Michael Rubino
2005-12-10, 13:42
My wife is getting me the third generation music streamer for Christmas, but I'd like to do whatever I can beforehand so I can get my new system up and running as soon as possible.

To that end, I've added some external storage (250 G) to my system, more RAM and I'd like to start loading up on more tunes (I already have a sizable iTunes collection). So, my question is: Can I go ahead and start converting my CD collection, or should I wait until everything is in place?

Hope this made sense.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

DrNic
2005-12-11, 04:59
My wife is getting me the third generation music streamer for Christmas, but I'd like to do whatever I can beforehand so I can get my new system up and running as soon as possible.

To that end, I've added some external storage (250 G) to my system, more RAM and I'd like to start loading up on more tunes (I already have a sizable iTunes collection). So, my question is: Can I go ahead and start converting my CD collection, or should I wait until everything is in place?

Hope this made sense.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Welcom Michael,
You can go right ahead and get ripping your collection, this will mean you have more to listen to when you get the hardware!
Have a little think though about what format you want to use etc. Obviously a lossless format is always better than lossy for home use, but you might need the portability. Plus iTunes can't use FLAC so you'd have to use Apple lossless. You realise that any DRM'd music bought from iTunes music store will not play on the squeezebox - you will need to burn it to a CD (music) and re-rip. Some advocate using a program called hymn (or something like that) to remove the DRM.
Happy ripping!

Nic

Michael Rubino
2005-12-11, 06:03
Thanks, Nic.

I'll probably use Apple Lossless.

As far as music purchased from the iTunes store goes, I only have about 40 songs or so.

DRM? I'll make an assumption and crudely call that copy-protected music. Is that right? (By the way, is there a glossary for this site somewhere?) So, if I burn a music CD of my iTunes purchased music, does that completely "launder" the tracks?

Thanks again,
Michael

DrNic
2005-12-11, 12:04
Thanks, Nic.

I'll probably use Apple Lossless.

As far as music purchased from the iTunes store goes, I only have about 40 songs or so.

DRM? I'll make an assumption and crudely call that copy-protected music. Is that right? (By the way, is there a glossary for this site somewhere?) So, if I burn a music CD of my iTunes purchased music, does that completely "launder" the tracks?

Thanks again,
Michael

Yep, DRM is Digital Rights Management - in other words copy-protected. Burning the bought songs onto a music CD will make them "re-rippable" - but remember you will have a track that is essentially compressed twice after you have ripped them back onto the machine. But its better than being dictated to about what you can and can't do with your music!!

Nic

JulianL
2005-12-12, 16:52
Start converting your collection by all means. You don't even need to wait for the hardware before you start listening to it.

Install SoftSqueeze on your PC to emulate a SqueezeBox client. It works beautifully. If you're going to go wireless and have a wireless laptop then put SoftSqueeze on the laptop and you can even check it out over a network.

- Julian