PDA

View Full Version : sb3 issues

Bailx
2005-12-10, 07:52
aside from the whole turbo/super g issue with the sb3.... as if that didn't make me mad enough...

now the silver plating (plastic?) is starting to come unglued. Has this happened to anyone else?

Just curious...because I am just... not very happy with my sb3's that I purchased. They slowed my entire wireless network down, and they are falling apart now.

Yeah I can re-glue it... but come on man $350 I expect a little more.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-10, 08:14
now the silver plating (plastic?) is starting to come unglued. Has this happened to anyone else?
Odd you mention it. My SB just sits there, I mostly play with the software, don't really look at the metalized bit, but after reading your posting I looked more closely at mine.

I've had it 2 weeks and the trim has started to pull away. About 1 oz of finger nail pressure and it pulled away completely (I just finished what had already started by itself).

The glue is somewhat tacky, somewhat warm. Maybe the glue doesn't react well to the heat of the unit?

seanadams
2005-12-10, 08:21
This was caused by the forming of the faceplate causing the lip of the aluminum to push against the edge of the plastic. It has been addressed with a change to the tool that makes the faceplate. If you have this problem we can send you a replacement at no charge.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-10, 08:29
I just bought 2. One is still in the box, but since I bought them at the same time, I assume they're from the same batch. The one that's been out of the box the last 2 weeks has this problem, so I guess the other will too.

Do you need anything from me? You presumably know my address by now :-)

Bailx
2005-12-10, 11:06
what exactly would be replaced? The whole unit or just the faceplate?

Sign me up.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-10, 11:27
what exactly would be replaced? The whole unit or just the faceplate?
I would guess just the faceplate (but I don't speak for Slim, so I may be wrong).

Bailx
2005-12-11, 12:26
how about just a recommendation on a type of glue to use. Also for damage control you might ship a small bottle of glue with each unit until the old stock is sold, with a notice that they might need to reglue the plate on. (hey it's easier than reseating the cpu card like with the sb2).

Bailx
2005-12-11, 12:32
actually i dont know if this will work....

on one of my sb3's the plate came right off. on this other one... the middle was very well glued apparently and the sides were loose.... it got very bent up during the removal process. i've done my best to bend it back the way it should be, but there are visible lines in the metal now, which will be there permanently without some sort of metal worker dude working no it... which I am not.

was the offer for replacement plates legitimate? if so I'd like to go ahead and do that... who do we contact?

dean
2005-12-11, 12:49
On Dec 11, 2005, at 11:32 AM, Bailx wrote:

>
> actually i dont know if this will work....
>
> on one of my sb3's the plate came right off. on this other one... the
> middle was very well glued apparently and the sides were loose.... it
> got very bent up during the removal process. i've done my best to
> bend
> it back the way it should be, but there are visible lines in the metal
> now, which will be there permanently without some sort of metal worker
> dude working no it... which I am not.
One thing that we found was that due to the tolerances on the older
plates, if the screws holding the back to the front were VERY tight,
the plate would be pushed by the back case away from the front
panel. Loosening the screws just slightly would reduce that pressure
and the plates will stay attached better. If you are comfortable
doing that, it may help keep it from popping off.

> was the offer for replacement plates legitimate?
absolutely.

> if so I'd like to go
> ahead and do that... who do we contact?
email support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com

Michaelwagner
2005-12-11, 12:54
who do we contact?
email support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com
So my posting here isn't enough?

dean
2005-12-11, 13:07
On Dec 11, 2005, at 11:54 AM, Michaelwagner wrote:
> dean Wrote:
>> email support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com
> So my posting here isn't enough?
It is not.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-11, 13:16
Email send. Thanks for replacing it.

Bailx
2005-12-13, 07:36
there are no screws holding the silver plate on, it's just glued on. I see no reason why screwing anything tighter or looser would affect how two flat surfaces bond together. Perhaps we are not talking about the same "plate" here.

You also said "older" plates... I just bought my sb3 a few weeks ago... I would like to think I have the newer ones... whatever that might be...

One thing that we found was that due to the tolerances on the older
plates, if the screws holding the back to the front were VERY tight,
the plate would be pushed by the back case away from the front
panel. Loosening the screws just slightly would reduce that pressure
and the plates will stay attached better. If you are comfortable
doing that, it may help keep it from popping off.

Michaelwagner
2005-12-13, 08:06
there are no screws holding the silver plate on, it's just glued on. I see no reason why screwing anything tighter or looser would affect how two flat surfaces bond together. Perhaps we are not talking about the same "plate" here.
There is only one plate.

The case is in 3 pieces - a front plastic "faceplate", a back plastic case, that is wider and provides the "rim" when they are assembled, and the aluminum decorative plate.

Sean said the flanges of the aluminum plate in some of the earlier ones were not bent right and so, as a result, they hit the "rim" provided by the back case. The tool that makes the bends has been corrected.

Dean said that, in some units, the screws that hold the back case (and rim) to the faceplate are overtightened, thereby forcing the rim more forward and adding to the interference problem. You can sometimes get by the problem by loosening the screws slightly.

I'm in manufacturing so maybe this was clearer to me than to others ...

Bruce Hartley
2005-12-14, 12:24
So my posting here isn't enough?

My understanding is that this a community based forum.
The fact that the owners and employees of slim post here is a bonus.
If you want something official, like a warranty replacement, or repair, then the support email address is the "official" channel.

haalders
2006-03-01, 02:57
On my unit the aluminium faceplate came off too. After I contacted Slimdevices support (support@slimdevices.com) they immediately sent me a completely new replacement faceplate. As I live in the Netherlands, I consider this as a pretty good service.

Let's hope that the aluminium is better fixed now.