PDA

View Full Version : Skips At Start of Songs

peetyport
2005-12-09, 19:33
My sb1 skips/stops/stutters about 20 secs into each and every song. On my server (XP Pro), the process slim.exe climbs to 100% CPU usage for approximately 5 secs and then continues on to play flawlessly. It is very annoying. I've upgraded my firmware and have the latest and greatest version SlimServer. I don't think was much of a problem before version 6.2. Should I download an older version of SlimServer? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

gorstk
2005-12-10, 11:00
peetyport wrote:
> My sb1 skips/stops/stutters about 20 secs into each and every song. On
> my server (XP Pro), the process slim.exe climbs to 100% CPU usage for
> approximately 5 secs and then continues on to play flawlessly. It is
> very annoying. I've upgraded my firmware and have the latest and
> greatest version SlimServer. I don't think was much of a problem
> before version 6.2. Should I download an older version of SlimServer?
> Any help would be greatly appreciated....
>
>

What spec server?
Do you have the web interface loaded at the time?
Streaming MP3 or WAV/FLAC?

peetyport
2005-12-10, 11:28
Thanks for the reply!

My server is an XP Pro, Pentium M Processor 1.8GHz, 512MB. I don't usually have the web browser up and running. My library consists of approximately 300 mp3s. I have over 500 CDs but am hesitant to rip all of them if I can't fix this problem. The slim-shady (sic) skips at the beginning of every song with the processor going to 100%. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated....

gorstk
2005-12-10, 11:58
peetyport wrote:
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> My server is an XP Pro, Pentium M Processor 1.8GHz, 512MB. I don't
> usually have the web browser up and running. My library consists of
> approximately 300 mp3s. I have over 500 CDs but am hesitant to rip all
> of them if I can't fix this problem. The slim-shady (sic) skips at the
> beginning of every song with the processor going to 100%. Again, any
> help would be greatly appreciated....
>
>

Try enabling the buffer display on the player in player settings. This
will tell us if the bufer empties during these cpu spikes.

peetyport
2005-12-13, 11:35
How do you enable the buffer display on the player in player settings? I've enabled the buffer display in the player settings but only see the current song on my display. Am I missing something?

I have also looked at the buffer fullness in the network-and-performance server settings and it is always at 100%.

Thanks again and any help is greatly appreciated.

radish
2005-12-13, 11:38
Press Now Playing to cycle through all the display modes. One of those will have a percentage bar - that's the buffer fullness display.

Lumsmore
2005-12-13, 14:06
Are you using the iTunes updater plug-in?

peetyport
2005-12-13, 16:42
I'm not using the iTunes updater plug-in.

peetyport
2005-12-16, 22:51
It took me a long time to figure out that the text size had to be small for the buffer fullness to also desplay! %|

The buffer does empty during the cpu spikes. The CPU spikes, the display states the server has lost connection to the server, the slim server reconnects and displays the buffer fullness at 0%.

peetyport
2005-12-19, 21:31
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Michaelwagner
2005-12-19, 21:54
It's a long shot, but check your music directory for any windows shortcuts that point off in odd directions. There used to be a bug in this area ... otherwise, 300 songs is a small library to be having such problems.