PDA

View Full Version : Can use SB to listen to wavs, etc. at websites?

dgpretzel
2005-12-09, 15:18
SB noob, here.

Is there a way to use a Squeezebox to play a wav or other audio file at a web site? I'm not thinking of internet radio.

I'd like to put Squeezeboxen in several rooms in the house. Is it possible, somehow, to navigate to a particular web site and play a wav or other audio file? I'm guessing probably not, since the SB doesn't have a browser and there is no real video user interface. Maybe it would be possible with a local computer, but then that defeats a large part of the purpose of having a small, convenient, appliance-like device.

I'm not sure if I am making myself clear, or not. I'd like to be able to do everything that I think I understand the SB does, and I'd also like to be able to navigate to a site and play wavs, etc. If not interactively, I'd at least like to be able to script playing wavs from the web.

Thank you for any comments.

DG

dSw
2005-12-11, 09:09
Have you tried sticking the URL in a playlist file?

dgpretzel
2005-12-11, 21:10
Thank you, dSw.

Oops, I didn't fully describe my situation.

I haven't bought a Squeezebox, yet. I'm trying to decide what network media player device to buy. I'll need 3 or 4 of them for various zones in the house.

I was just wondering if there were a way to play a given wav file (or other supported audio file) at a given web site with SB. Also, what if you don't know the specific file in advance-- is there a way to browse a web site and say, "Play that"? In other words, instead of a preformed playlist, can I play an adhoc file, chosen "on the fly"? I's sort of thinking that, if it's possible, it would have to be from the box that's running Slimserver.

It sounds like you supplied me the answer, though. I would need to determine the URL I want to plaay, and create a playlist containing it. Is that it?

So, if I were sitting in the living room, and had a wireless pocket PC device, I could browse with it, choose the file I wanted to play, and then create a playlist with that file. Am I understanding correctly?

Thank you.

DG

radish
2005-12-11, 21:50
I recommend you download slimserver, and use softsqueeze to find out if you can do what you need.

mherger
2005-12-12, 00:37
> I's sort of
> thinking that, if it's possible, it would have to be from the box
> that's running Slimserver.

Exactly: if you manage to run slimserver on that box, you'll be able to
browse a give folder for any musical material.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------
Help translate SlimServer by using the
SlimString Translation Helper (http://www.herger.net/slim/)

dSw
2005-12-12, 01:52
So, if I were sitting in the living room, and had a wireless pocket PC device, I could browse with it, choose the file I wanted to play, and then create a playlist with that file. Am I understanding correctly?

I guess you could do that.. but it's a bit clunky. You could set up some kind of script or simple program that creates a playlist based on a specified URL and choose it via the "browse music folder" option.

I think you might also be able to play the URL directly via the Slimserver web interface (play internet radio url, or something), but I can't quite remember and I'm not on a machine with Slimserver installed at the moment.

Definitely give Slimserver and Softsqueeze a try.