PDA

View Full Version : Switch on and off my server with the SB

Toby
2005-12-09, 09:48
In my earlier posts ('No More shutdown with xPLHal' and 'Poweroff.exe - Go into standby mode) I wrote a lot about my wishes.
I also get a lot of help. Thank you again for that!

Now, I can shut down my server into standby mode and 'awake him' with a magic packet. Probably on monday with the new SB3 ...

But I've read a lot about the standby and the hibernate mode, and I know that hibernate is the better choice for my ambitions.

For that, in xPLHal I replaced the 'communication tool' poweroff.exe with another one called NirCmd
(see www dot nirsoft dot net)
This tool is very powerful and has a lot of commands.

To bring my server into standby mode is no problem but to bring it to the hibernate mode doesn't work.
The error is: Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API ...
For that problem I've read (www dot microsoft dot com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/russel_02march25 dot mspx).

First I thought the problem is because my C partition is too small ( It was around 50MB). So I resized it to more than 1 GB but the problem is still there. I have around 1 GB RAM and a 1 GB processor.
Are there any suggestions for that problem???

edwin2005
2005-12-09, 12:12
In my earlier posts ('No More shutdown with xPLHal' and 'Poweroff.exe - Go into standby mode) I wrote a lot about my wishes.
I also get a lot of help. Thank you again for that!

Now, I can shut down my server into standby mode and 'awake him' with a magic packet. Probably on monday with the new SB3 ...

But I've read a lot about the standby and the hibernate mode, and I know that hibernate is the better choice for my ambitions.

For that, in xPLHal I replaced the 'communication tool' poweroff.exe with another one called NirCmd
(see www dot nirsoft dot net)
This tool is very powerful and has a lot of commands.

To bring my server into standby mode is no problem but to bring it to the hibernate mode doesn't work.
The error is: Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API ...
For that problem I've read (www dot microsoft dot com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/russel_02march25 dot mspx).

First I thought the problem is because my C partition is too small ( It was around 50MB). So I resized it to more than 1 GB but the problem is still there. I have around 1 GB RAM and a 1 GB processor.
Are there any suggestions for that problem???
For hibernation you will need at least the same space as you have on RAM. It writes a 1on1 copy of RAM to disk!

Toby
2005-12-09, 12:34
Yes, I've read this, but I have some more space on my harddisc than my RAM has. It don't has to be the same space, but minimum the RAM space.

Roy Owen
2005-12-09, 12:56
Don't forget that the OS and the page file will also consume a large amount
of HD space. For Windows XP I like to use a minimum of 10GB for the system
partition (C:\), due to all the junk that Windows places in C:\Documents And
Settings\<username>. If you have the physical resources use 2 physical
disks one for the system and one for programs and data.

On 12/9/05, Toby <Toby.1zsfgc (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Yes, I've read this, but I have some more space on my harddisc than my
> RAM has. It don't has to be the same space, but minimum the RAM space.
>
>
> --
> Toby
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Toby's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2676
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=18955
>
>

radish
2005-12-09, 13:15
This is a known issue with Windows and systems with "large" amounts of RAM. It doesn't affect everyone (for example, I can hibernate just fine) but it is fairly common. It's not related to disk space or anything else, it's a bug. There are entries in knowledgebase about it, but no fix that I'm aware of. If you have a support contract, use it, otherwise wait until MS fixes it.

Toby
2005-12-10, 06:16
Thank you for your suggestions, but I still don't understand the problem very well.
I've read the article support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330909
and I installed the hotfix 330909 package because I use Windows XP without the service packs ( I use the Psion wavefinder for DAB Radio. It don't works with the service packs).

Normally I have a small boot partiton (C = 50MB) and a system partition (E = 5 to 6 GB). D is for the CD Device.

I resized the boot partition to nearly 1,2 GB.

I also read, that a possible problem is that there are too many running services. So I stoped a view. But the problem is still there.
What's about the SlimServer service. Does it need a lot of resources?

In the mentioned article there is one sentence a cannot understand:'It is still possible to experience a hibernation problem after you install this fix if the memory becomes highly fragmented.' What is 'highly fragmented' and how can I fix that?

Kyle
2005-12-10, 07:34
If you're using Windows, look under Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter for an app to defragment your disk. It can take a long time.

Toby
2005-12-10, 09:06
If you're using Windows, look under Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter for an app to defragment your disk. It can take a long time.

I did it, but there is no change.
Still the same problem ...

radish
2005-12-10, 10:24
It's talking about _memory_ fragmentation not disk fragmentation. It happens over time, there's nothing you can do about it (and normally it doesn't matter). Like I said, it's a Windows bug, and there's no known fix which works 100% of the time.