PDA

View Full Version : MAC Filtering Problems

DanWiggins
2005-12-08, 17:35
Hi all...

Well, I've got the Slimserver SW running, and SoftSqueeze works great! I love this system - HOWEVER...;)

I'm setting up my SB3, and having a tough go of it. I've entered in my SSID (we don't broadcast it; that's disabled), but the SB can't connect.

We use three predominant security features on our wireless network:

1. Don't broadcast our SSID (don't tell people we have a network)
2. We use MAC filtering in the router (Linksys WRT54G)
3. Windows Active Directory to control access to any PC

Now, I've entered the SSID into the SB3 (as best I can; how can you delete characters from the SSID entry?). And I've entered the MAC address on the bottom of the SB3 into my router. So it should be OK from that standpoint.

However, the SB3 can't find the network. The Slimserver is fine, it plays great wirelessly with the other units (Slimserver has a wireless card, my laptop is playing from it right now wirelessly, works great).

Any ideas? I'm looking for the following help:

1. How do you delete characters from the SSID (I blanked them, but they may be just space characters, and that's screwing up the SSID).

2. Assuming it's not an SSID issue, anyone ever use MAC filtering with the SB3 without a problem?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, and shameless plug - our suites at the upcoming 2006 CES (Alexis Park 2404 and 2405) will be completely Slimdevice enabled. Our only music source will be the SB3s...:) If you're at CES, stop by and take a listen!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

radish
2005-12-08, 17:45
You can delete from the SSID by pressing Play (not intuitive I know, but it is allegedly in the manual!). The SSID having additional spaces as padding will certainly make it not work.

FYI - I use MAC filtering with no problems.

JJZolx
2005-12-08, 18:59
We use three predominant security features on our wireless network:

1. Don't broadcast our SSID (don't tell people we have a network)
2. We use MAC filtering in the router (Linksys WRT54G)
3. Windows Active Directory to control access to any PC
If you do a little research into wireless security you'll find that #1 and #2 offer no additional security benefit. Anyone who can hope to crack the simplest password protection of WPA or even WEP will have little trouble discovering both the network SSID of the AP and the MAC addresses of connected clients.

slimCL
2005-12-08, 20:41
If you do a little research into wireless security you'll find that #1 and #2 offer no additional security benefit. Anyone who can hope to crack the simplest password protection of WPA or even WEP will have little trouble discovering both the network SSID of the AP and the MAC addresses of connected clients.

True, but at least it keeps your neighbors from piggybacking onto your network.

ceejay
2005-12-09, 05:01
I also use MAC filtering with no problems.

Two ideas:

(1) check you have matched the case (UPPER/lower) between the SSID in your WAP and what you are typing into the SB

(2) you will find threads in here about SBs that have mysteriously changed their MAC address from the one written on the box itself. Check that the SB thinks it has the MAC address that you think it has (it can be changed back if its gone awry)

Ceejay

DanWiggins
2005-12-09, 09:48
SUCCESS!

It was as I suspected, the extra spaces in the SSID. The manual states to use the ADD button for backspace (bottom of page 7, before step 6), but it's actually the PLAY button that is the backspace.

Removed the extra spaces, and we're Squeezeboxing!

Thanks all!

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio