PDA

View Full Version : New user without PHD in networks, Windows ... HELP ! ..internet radio not working

wimberrypie
2005-12-08, 08:24
Problem 1 : When I hit the slim server icon on the desktop I get "The page cannot be displayed" this is http://localhost:9000

However several desperate phone calls to friends suggested using http://192.168.0.2:9000 which works .. Why, I have no idea !

Problem2 : I have tried to connect to the internet radio stations and I get nothing out of the SB3,

From the top level director of the SB3 I go Internet Radio => radioio.com => radioioBEAT I hit play, it says that its connecting and then nothing :-(

and Ive tried scanning for a new station and nothing also :-(((

Im getting the feeling that the SB3 isnt a product but an on going project pitched to rip you hair out.

TIA ...

wimberrypie
2005-12-08, 08:41
forgot to mention that Im running on 6.2.1 on XP via NetgearDG834GT .. and that evetything is well linking to my Itunes library.

danco
2005-12-08, 09:52
I don't know about Windows, but on my Mac the browser (Safari) surprisingly often does not recognise localhost. This can't be put down to any SlimServer/Squeezebox problem.

The internet radio issue may be a matter of timing. Under Server Settings, Network (IIRC) one can increase the timeout for radio. Try it. It can't hurt and may help.

dwc
2005-12-08, 10:41
Im getting the feeling that the SB3 isnt a product but an on going project pitched to rip you hair out.

As with many software products, SlimServer relies on other computer services being in place to work correctly. As stated in your other thread it looks like your network is not quite right. I understand this can be confusing and frustrating if you haven't done it before and don't feel expert in networking.

I would recommend you offer one of your computer-savvy friends something to come over to your house and make sure your network is set up correctly. Something on the level of a six pack of nice (root) beer should be appropriate. Or perhaps some fine eggnog as this is the holiday season. :)

-Dan

bishopdonmiguel
2005-12-08, 12:18
> Problem 1 : When I hit the slim server icon on the desktop I get "The page cannot be displayed" this is http://localhost:9000

What version of XP? Your IP suggests other devices are on your network. What are these? Just the Squeezebox? I will assume you are running the server on the same box and you have the latest service packs and updates. You might want to check that your HOSTS file contains "localhost 127.0.0.1"

bishopdonmiguel
2005-12-08, 12:29
> Problem2 : I have tried to connect to the internet radio stations and I get nothing out of the SB3

Can you play local files? I don't run SlimServer on XP so my experience there is nil, but I can offer the following suggestions.... Do you have any firewall software preventing outbound internet access (i.e. ZoneAlarm)? If so, you will need to grant the program access. If not, I doubt Windows Firewall would block as I assume internet radio connections are outbound but you might check that the application is in the exception list.

wimberrypie
2005-12-09, 02:41
Thnaks to all for your responses .. in the end the solution was simple, I had a Norton firewall running on my PC, this was disabled and the radio and host issue vanished ! :-)

Many thanks Kevin at SB ...

PS Root Beer ! ... urrhhhh .. people in the UK use that to wash their feet ;-)

ceejay
2005-12-09, 04:49
Thnaks to all for your responses .. in the end the solution was simple, I had a Norton firewall running on my PC, this was disabled and the radio and host issue vanished ! :-)

While its great to hear that you are now working, I hope this doesn't mean you've been left without any firewall protection!

I use Norton Internet Security 2005 (includes Norton Firewall) on my slimserver box and it works fine.

One thing worth trying: if you install a new program, and try to run it, from a user that does not have NORTON administrator rights, it will be blocked. Just logging in as a user who is recognised by Norton as "admin" and starting the program should cause a pop up dialog from Norton asking if its ok for this program to access the internet. Say "yes" and all should be well thereafter, for all users.

Ceejay