PDA

View Full Version : aaarrrrggghhh:-)

Frustrated1
2005-12-07, 17:27
I need some serious help from everyone's vast knowledge base, because I cannot for the life of me figure this one out. I have a brand new SB3, which was tested prior to me getting it here and it worked great. Here's the problem, and it has occurred with three different routers. The sb3 is just fine, it obtains a ip address, accesses my network, and appears to work just fine. But then, it proceeds into the connecting to slimserver, which is running on my computer, and I get the dreaded connect connect to server. Slimserver likewise displays the error message "your player was not found." Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what could be causing this behavior? I should mention that the sb3 connects just fine to the squeezenetwork. It will however not connect to slimserver at all, either wired or wireless. Any ideas? I would appreciate any help, this is extremely frustrating.

Regards

Daryan

ianjohnson_nz
2005-12-07, 18:03
Slimserver likewise displays the error message "your player was not found." Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what could be causing this behavior? I should mention that the sb3 connects just fine to the squeezenetwork. It will however not connect to slimserver at all, either wired or wireless. Any ideas?

Are you running a firewall? If so check the settings, maybe it is stopping SB3 from seeing your computer.

snarlydwarf
2005-12-07, 18:05
well then we can discard all the wireless stuff and whether your encryption matches and all that....

Are you running slimserver on Windows? Did you configure your firewall to allow it to connect? See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?WindowsInstallationGuide -- specifically the part at the bottom about firewalls and see if that helps you.

If you're using Windows Firewall, if I understand things right, it -should- set itself up automatically. Other firewalls (like ZoneAlarm) won't. But, then, "sometimes" Windows firewall needs to be kicked to actually pay attention to new settings....

Frustrated1
2005-12-08, 07:32
I do not have a firewal installed that I am aware of. I also checked the built in xp firewall, and that also is not activated. I removed all the programs I could think of that would be causing a problem, but still no dice. Any other opinions on something I could try? I may just reformat everything and see if that works, but I can't seem to find my xp disc at the moment.

D~

dropbear
2005-12-08, 08:26
check what IP address your SB3 is being issued by your router. Is it in the same domain as your PC that is running slimserver? If you conncet to your router does it show the SB3 in it's list of connected devices.
You could set your SB3 with a static IP address that matches the same domain as your PC and router (make sure that the router, PC and SB3 have the same 3 octets in thier IP addresses, i.e. 192.160.0.x).

Pete

LavaJoe
2005-12-08, 08:36
I need some serious help from everyone's vast knowledge base, because I cannot for the life of me figure this one out. I have a brand new SB3, which was tested prior to me getting it here and it worked great. Here's the problem, and it has occurred with three different routers. The sb3 is just fine, it obtains a ip address, accesses my network, and appears to work just fine. But then, it proceeds into the connecting to slimserver, which is running on my computer, and I get the dreaded connect connect to server. Slimserver likewise displays the error message "your player was not found." Does anyone have the slightest clue as to what could be causing this behavior? I should mention that the sb3 connects just fine to the squeezenetwork. It will however not connect to slimserver at all, either wired or wireless. Any ideas? I would appreciate any help, this is extremely frustrating.

Regards

Daryan

Did you try entering the slimserver's IP address directly into the SB3? If your SB3 is connecting to a different "subnet" on the router than the slimserver uses, it won't find it automatically.

Another test is to try to "ping" the SB3 from the PC. If this works, then traffic is flowing both ways, and the problem is either a firewall or slimserver itself. Can you connect to the port 9000 web interface of slimiserver from a different machine on the network (this might give clues too)?

LavaJoe
2005-12-08, 08:39
check what IP address your SB3 is being issued by your router. Is it in the same domain as your PC that is running slimserver? If you conncet to your router does it show the SB3 in it's list of connected devices.
You could set your SB3 with a static IP address that matches the same domain as your PC and router (make sure that the router, PC and SB3 have the same 3 octets in thier IP addresses, i.e. 192.160.0.x).

Pete

Dropbear, looks like we had the same idea! One thing though: if the PC and SB3 are on different physical subnets, then forcing a static IP on the SB3 won't work, since the traffic won't route.

Frustrated1
2005-12-08, 15:10

Pete

Yes, both ip addresses are in the same domain. I believe they are 1 number different. I am not sure how to see if the router and sb3 are connected. I will try that again, but setting the static thus far has not worked.

D~

Frustrated1
2005-12-08, 15:12
Did you try entering the slimserver's IP address directly into the SB3? If your SB3 is connecting to a different "subnet" on the router than the slimserver uses, it won't find it automatically.

Another test is to try to "ping" the SB3 from the PC. If this works, then traffic is flowing both ways, and the problem is either a firewall or slimserver itself. Can you connect to the port 9000 web interface of slimiserver from a different machine on the network (this might give clues too)?

Is the slimserver's ip address the same as my computers ip address? If not, how do I know what it is? I do not know how to ping, though in reading, it sounds like I input a ip address into a ping utility and see if anything happens. I tried this a minute ago using the sb3's ip address from my computer which is the only one I have on this network btw, and I got 5 packets sent, none returned.

D~

audiofi
2005-12-08, 15:29
To send a ping load up a command prompt (start - run - cmd)

Then type:

ping "IP ADDRESS"

For example:

ping 192.168.0.1 etc.

The PC and Squeezebox's IP address are different, slimserver will be sitting on the PC's IP

For example, I have a PC on 192.168.1.100 and Squeezebox on 192.168.1.101

To access slimserver I type in IE http://192.168.1.100:9000

or use my computer name http://cube:9000

To find out the SB3's IP, it is in the setup menu on the Squeezebox

Andrew

LavaJoe
2005-12-08, 17:36
Is the slimserver's ip address the same as my computers ip address? If not, how do I know what it is? I do not know how to ping, though in reading, it sounds like I input a ip address into a ping utility and see if anything happens. I tried this a minute ago using the sb3's ip address from my computer which is the only one I have on this network btw, and I got 5 packets sent, none returned.

D~

Right, the slimserver is on your PC (where you installed the software), so that's the IP. If you are getting no packets back with ping from the PC, there is something wrong with routing. Typically, firewalls do not block ping (but they can) - I know XP's built-in one does not block pings by default.

Another thing to check is the subnet mask. If the IPs are only different in the 4th number, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 should work, even though that's not necessarily correct. If you do an "ipconfig /all" on the PC, you will see its mask, and the mask should be the same on the SB, assuming they are on the same subnet. Are the two plugged into the same set of ethernet jacks on the hub/switch/router? If so, they should be on the same subnet. Or are you wireless (and is the PC also wireless)? If so, again, that should mean it's the same subnet.

Frustrated1
2005-12-09, 13:18
I was just able to ping the squeezebox from a command prompt, so the two devices must be communicating then right?

Thanks

Daryan

Frustrated1
2005-12-09, 13:21
Right, the slimserver is on your PC (where you installed the software), so that's the IP. If you are getting no packets back with ping from the PC, there is something wrong with routing. Typically, firewalls do not block ping (but they can) - I know XP's built-in one does not block pings by default.

Another thing to check is the subnet mask. If the IPs are only different in the 4th number, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 should work, even though that's not necessarily correct. If you do an "ipconfig /all" on the PC, you will see its mask, and the mask should be the same on the SB, assuming they are on the same subnet. Are the two plugged into the same set of ethernet jacks on the hub/switch/router? If so, they should be on the same subnet. Or are you wireless (and is the PC also wireless)? If so, again, that should mean it's the same subnet.

I just checked, they are both on the same subnet. I am able to ping both my home computer and squeezebox with no data loss, 4 packets sent, 4 gotten back. Still no connection to the slimserver.

D~

LavaJoe
2005-12-09, 15:32
I just checked, they are both on the same subnet. I am able to ping both my home computer and squeezebox with no data loss, 4 packets sent, 4 gotten back. Still no connection to the slimserver.

D~

But can the slimserver PC ping the SB? I'm not sure if you meant that the command prompt where you did the successful ping was on the slimserver PC or not.

If it can ping, then it sounds more and more like a firewall issue or like slimserver is not running. Can you connect to your PC at port 9000 and get the web interface (even from the PC itself is a good test - that means slimserver is running).

Frustrated1
2005-12-12, 11:05
I reinstalled windows, fixed everything right up! Thanks for all the help.

D~

tomsi42
2005-12-13, 05:50

D~

It is good that you fixed it. It is a bit sad though, that you had to reinstall Windows to fix your problems.

DrNic
2005-12-13, 06:00

D~

You've gotta love Bill Gates.... ;)