PDA

View Full Version : Helping Newbies get the most from SB2

ianjohnson_nz
2005-12-07, 16:34
Hi all

<Thanks to mherger: new thread started on this topic>

As a newbie I have found it quite difficult to find information on enhancements for my SB. e.g. I knew SqueezeNetwork existed but had no idea what it actually was. Beyond the forums I haven't found any documentation on it or how to use it - is any available? (For example: instructions on what buttons to press to turn off the alarm!) To date I have found out by trial & error but this is quite time consuming.

I appreciate this is in part a consequence of using an open source product. But I think adding a Tips page on SlimServer FAQ (and Wiki http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?BeginnersGuide) would be worthwhile, to help newbies make the most of their SB.

I would start by including:
* Popular plugins (e.g. AlienBBC)
* SqueezeNetwork
* Configuring Wake on LAN
For each: explain what it is, why it's cool and basic pointers on configuring it with link/s to more detailed info. Most of the information on the forum is technical and presumes prior knowledge of the functionality. e.g. to facilitate Wake on LAN, it took me ages to discover that all I need to do is configure my LAN card (easy if you know...).

Regards,
Ian
[edited to include reference to Wiki beginner guide]

gorstk
2005-12-07, 17:03
ianjohnson_nz wrote:
> Hi all
>
> <Thanks to mherger: new thread started on this topic>
>
> As a newbie I have found it quite difficult to find information on
> enhancements for my SB. e.g. I knew SqueezeNetwork existed but had no
> idea what it actually was. Beyond the forums I haven't found any
> documentation on it or how to use it - is any available? (For example:
> instructions on what buttons to press to turn off the alarm!) To date I
> have found out by trial & error but this is quite time consuming.
>
> I appreciate this is in part a consequence of using an open source
> product. But I think adding a Tips page on SlimServer FAQ would be
> worthwhile, to help newbies make the most of their SB.
>
> I would start by including:
> * Popular plugins (e.g. AlienBBC)
> * SqueezeNetwork
> * Configuring Wake on LAN
> For each: explain what it is, why it's cool and basic pointers on
> configuring it with link/s to more detailed info. Most of the
> information on the forum is technical and presumes prior knowledge of
> the functionality. e.g. to facilitate Wake on LAN, it took me ages to
> discover that all I need to do is configure my LAN card (easy if you
> know...).

Is wake on lan a SB2 only thing or can a SB1 do it as well?

ceejay
2005-12-07, 17:11
Well, there already is a "Tips and Tricks"page, which I think is what you are looking for, at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?TipsAndTricks

Unfortunately it only has one tip in it at the moment. If people add more then the page will doubtless attract more links!!

Perhaps a neat idea would be if people felt free to create their own HowToDoSomething page in the wiki, then link to it from the tips and tricks page, and if appropriate from elsewhere in the wiki (including the beginners guide).

Sounds like you are all set to start with WakeOnLAN and SqueezeNetwork! :)

Ceejay.

ianjohnson_nz
2005-12-07, 17:20
Well, there already is a "Tips and Tricks"page, which I think is what you are looking for, at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?TipsAndTricks
That's good to know. Mind you I searched high & low through the Slim Devices website, SqueezeNetwork website and SlimServer control site to find this sort of information and I never came across the Tips & Tricks page. This sounds ideal, but it could do with being more visible.

Perhaps a neat idea would be if people felt free to create their own HowToDoSomething page in the wiki, then link to it from the tips and tricks page, and if appropriate from elsewhere in the wiki (including the beginners guide).

Sounds like you are all set to start with WakeOnLAN and SqueezeNetwork! :)

Ceejay.
Point taken. I'm not shying away from adding it myself. But I wouldn't wish to load incorrect information and I believe this woiuld be useful to most new users. I think this warrants inclusion in the formal Slim Devices documentation so I'd feel more comfortable if it were generated (and QA'd) by a SD employee.

kdf
2005-12-07, 18:53
Quoting John Gorst <john_gorst (AT) hotmail (DOT) com>:

> Is wake on lan a SB2 only thing or can a SB1 do it as well?
>
SB2 only.
-kdf

MrC
2005-12-07, 20:35
As a newbie I have found it quite difficult to find information on enhancements for my SB. e.g. I knew SqueezeNetwork existed but had no idea what it actually was. Beyond the forums I haven't found any documentation on it or how to use it - is any available? (For example: instructions on what buttons to press to turn off the alarm!) To date I have found out by trial & error but this is quite time consuming.

Hello Ian,

I agree with you that finding information, while much exists, is a little too difficult. Certainly anyone can find all they need by spending time searching every link on the Slim website, but this is very time consuming.

I had put forth a suggestion to SlimDevices to reorganize the top and second tier menus of the web site, by simplifying and reducing the number of places to go for support. I do not mean any disrespect to Slim Devices in my suggestions that follow - they are only suggestions that would have helped me during my initial foray into all things Slim. In my opinion, there should be one Support link, and not the 6 varieties that exist now under the first and second tier menus (i'd like to see all the second tier menus go away, or at least mirror links that are fully described in a primary page). I'd like to see the Support link include both Slim Devices support and Community provided support. I also believe that Documentation should be under Support and the page should indicate the type of documentation available (faq, online documentation, wiki, etc.). A further reduction would be to consolidate the FAQ and Documentation (which is only slim hardware documentation) into the Wiki (and rename "Wiki" to Documentation), since that seems to be the primary source of documentation. I know that SD is working on a new FAQ site, but while its nice, in my opinion, FAQ sites / mechanisms are almost always out of date, too simplistic, or don't have enough content to resolve a substantially useful number of questions.

There should be a Downloads main link that includes all varieties of slimserver downloads, and plugins. I think the multiple paths into the various support areas needs to be reduced.

The SD website seems to reflect that SD hardware is the primary focus of the company (and it should be - its the cash cow), but that slimserver and all the rest plays second fiddle. The problem is that new users/visitors get a somewhat schizophrenic view into what this Slim stuff is all about, and how it works.

Personally, I would modify the site to be more "goal" oriented, reflecting what a user comes to Slim for - which is "How Can I Stream Music?". A visit to the site now basically says "buy this product because it has a stunning aqua display", but doesn't help a user to see what can be done, why they want to purchase the product. In other words, the site doesn't sell a dream. And the documentation and support areas of the site don't help new users fulfill that dream. There have been comments by some in the slim community that users don't read any documentation. Certainly this is true in some cases, so we'll write off those users. But there are plenty of users like you and I who would be happy to read the documentation, and learn about the product, but discover that finding an answer is like searching for that needle in the haystack. So, users end up just asking their questions on the forum.

Again, I mean no disrespect to SD, and am just offering my suggestions as a user and customer. I'm hoping that SD will accept this challenge and commit to resolving some of these concerns and issues.