PDA

View Full Version : I love my SB3!

kaline
2005-12-07, 09:01
Just thought I'd post a success story in case you're on the fence about ordering one of these.

I bought the SB3, black, wired version and it arrived yesterday via UPS. I had already installed the slimserver software on a linux box I have in my basement so setup was a breeze (installing slimserver on debian was a little bit of work, though).

I spent the majority of my setup time (about 20 minutes) messing with wires. I moved a router upstairs so I had a bunch of cables to deal with. Once all of the cables were in place, however, getting the SB3 to work was amazingly simple. It appeared to do everything on its own - I just kept hitting the right arrow button. Before I knew it, I was listening to music. Fantastic!

It's really early, but I haven't run into any problems so far. I love all of the extra features that I glossed over when researching the SB3 - screensavers, rss feeds, internet radio, nature sounds (sweet!), alarm clock, etc. I'm using the optical connection and the sound is great. I might try the analog to see if there is a difference. Regardless, it's so much nicer being able to listen to my music through my stereo instead of those tiny computer speakers. Ugh!

Best of all, my wife loves it. She was able to figure it out without any problems fairly quickly (this is huge). Also, I have one of those Harmony 676 all-in-one remotes and was able to program in the SB3 with no problems. They already had the info on it so setting that up was a snap.

This thing ranks right up there with my Tivo.

Kyle
2005-12-07, 09:15
Great to hear a success story. I'm still waiting on my SB3 wireless (supposed to ship this week). I hope my install will be as smooth as yours. My wife seems excited about the idea. I hope she can pick it up as quickly as yours did. What made you choose optical over coax? I'm going to use the analog outputs to my whole-house system and one of the digitals to my den stereo, but I haven't decided on optical or coax.

kaline
2005-12-07, 10:15
Why choose optical? Well, I don't know. My highly scientific reason was that I had an optical cable that was long enough to reach from the receiver to the SB3. ;-)

I always assumed optical was the best way to go but I'm no audiophile so I guess I don't know. I've got a Sony 555ES receiver so if anyone out there thinks I should set it up differently, please chime in. Optical/Coax/Analog...I'm not ashamed to admit I don't know the technical merits of one over the other. If there's a better way I'd love to know.

Good luck with your setup. Hopefully the wireless part doesn't add any problems.

jaybeee
2005-12-07, 11:28
Coax is better than Optical, as the electrical digital signal (the audio) is converted to light for Optical connections and then back to an electrical signal again (right?). But with Coax it's stays as an electrical signal, so has less 'activity' made to it (if you see what I mean). However, I believe that if you want a long digital cable then Optical will be better as the signal will not degrade with distance (as happens in Coax cables): I don't know the optimum distances though.

Having said all that, if the device you connect the SB into, an A/V / Stereo Amp, does not have a comparatively good DAC (the VERY nice 24-bit Burr-Brown device), then the analogue connection (traditional stereo interconnect) is probably the best bet.

As always though, try the different connections and see if you prefer one over the other.

I hope I'm correct in saying all that ^^. It's quite new knowledge that I've acquired and I apologuise if I've got it wrong.