PDA

View Full Version : Variable age for 'New Music' ?

Khuli
2005-12-07, 03:22
When browsing under 'New Music' my SB lists a lot of stuff that's been there for weeks, so it's getting ridiculously long (especially as it includes everything that's just had the ID3 tags edited).

Anyway, is there a setting I've missed which has the age that items are considered as 'new'? I would assume there is, as it seems so logical to have one, but haven't noticed it. Would be great if I can just show items less than 1 week old, rather than 1 month...

Thanks

tass
2005-12-07, 03:24
I don't think there is such a setting, but there is a setting for how many items should be in there (which defaults to 100).

Khuli
2005-12-07, 04:55
Hmm a slight misnomer then... 'New Music' is actually 'Most Recently Added Music'?

Personally I think an age-based setting would make more sense, if you don't add much new music to your collection, New Music is going to contain stuff which quite literally could be years old.

Likewise if it's set to be a fixed maximum length, you could easily find music not listed if you've added a lot. Looks like a potential enhancement to me....

Mark Lanctot
2005-12-07, 07:25
Yes, "New Music" actually sorts all your music by
the chronological order they were added, up to the
maximum number of items (default 100).

I was confused by this as well.

It's a good feature as it immediately pops your
newest stuff out but its name is a bit confusing.

Khuli wrote:
> Hmm a slight misnomer then... 'New Music' is
actually 'Most Recently
> Added Music'?
>
> Personally I think an age-based setting would make
more sense, if you
> don't add much new music to your collection, New
Music is going to
> contain stuff which quite literally could be years
old.
>
> Likewise if it's set to be a fixed maximum length,
you could easily
> find music not listed if you've added a lot. Looks
like a potential
> enhancement to me....
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

Philip Meyer
2005-12-09, 16:43
>Hmm a slight misnomer then... 'New Music' is actually 'Most Recently
>Added Music'?
>
Actually, "Most Recently Added or Changed Music" is more correct. If you update the physical file (eg. amend the tags), it is added back to the top of the "New Music" list, as SlimServer checks against the file modification date, not creation date.

Phil