PDA

View Full Version : Remote Streaming over the Internet

EspenDL
2005-12-06, 11:18
Hi!

http://host:9000/stream.mp3 works fine local, but not over the Internett. I have opened tcp port 9000 and 3483. What's wrong?

snarlydwarf
2005-12-06, 11:22
Hi!

http://host:9000/stream.mp3 works fine local, but not over the Internett. I have opened tcp port 9000 and 3483. What's wrong?

Is a firewall blocking it?

Did you go to the web page (same url minus the 'stream.mp3') and queue stuff up to play?

I did this all the time until I decided I wanted softsqueeze at work (but, then I don't have a firewall between me and the 'net).

EspenDL
2005-12-06, 11:31
Are you thinking on the Windows XP SP2 firewall?

snarlydwarf
2005-12-06, 11:35
Are you thinking on the Windows XP SP2 firewall?

Or a firewall of some sort between you and the server... If you're at work, it may be that your employer blocks "non-standard ports" on their firewall. (We do, but, hahah, not for meeeeeeeee!)

When you try to connect do you get a connection refused, a timeout, or the 320kbps 'silence' track?

The first two are signs that either your server, the router, or a corporate firewall are in the way. You can tell the same thing by trying to get to the web interface URL. The silence track just means that you need to queue up stuff.

You only need port 9000 open for the stream.mp3 method: you need both ports open for SoftSqueeze (which is much nicer than the mp3 method if you can get past the quirkiness of Java some days).

EspenDL
2005-12-06, 11:47
Ok, no firewalls should be blokking. I get the the 320kbps 'silence' track even when I queue stuff up to play. (Works from other computers localy) I use flac files.

snarlydwarf
2005-12-06, 11:54
Ok, no firewalls should be blokking. I get the the 320kbps 'silence' track even when I queue stuff up to play. (Works from other computers localy) I use flac files.

Ah, that may explain it: are you sure slimserver can transcode it (ie, find the flac binary)?

It will need to transcode flac -> mp3 in order to stream to the 'stream.mp3' thingie.

I don't know if SoftSqueeze supports flac or not, if it does then you wouldn't need to transcode, though you would have a lot more bandwidth used.

EspenDL
2005-12-06, 12:02
SoftSqueeze supports flac. But I don't have fast enough upload (adsl :( . Stream.mp3 works over intranet, but not over the Internet.

oysteinq
2005-12-17, 10:04
Hi EspenDL!

The problem is when you try to connect with your Outside IP-adress, is that you'll be connected to your router. Only problem is, your router doesn't know which computer nor adress to redirect your request. You just need to set up a NAT entry with Port=Adress.