PDA

View Full Version : Purchased iTunes music not visible?

bec143
2005-12-04, 19:42
Probably an ancient topic, but any reason why purchased music inmy iTunes library won't show up in Slimserver?

Bruce

radish
2005-12-04, 20:11
Yup, it's because Apple won't let you play them on anything except their own players.

neilcoburn
2005-12-05, 06:42
... so the workaround is to burn them to a CD in iTunes, and then re-rip them as normal AAC files which Slimserver can use.

bec143
2005-12-05, 11:35
Got it-thanks.

AaronS
2005-12-06, 03:45
... so the workaround is to burn them to a CD in iTunes, and then re-rip them as normal AAC files which Slimserver can use.

No, No, No, No, No.

You lose audio quality by doing this. The answer is to use jHymn (http://hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/), which removes the DRM, but otherwise leaves the file exactly as you purchased it, so the audio quality is exactly the same as the file you paid for.

A better solution is to buy as little music from iTunes as possible - I only use it for things that I want that aren't available anywehre else. If you continue to buy CDs, you'll always have the ability to re-rip your music to whatever format in the future.

neilcoburn
2005-12-06, 04:37
Thanks for the tip re JHymn, though the website says it doesn't work with music purchased using iTunes 6.0 onwards (and you now have to use 6.0 to buy stuff)

AaronS
2005-12-06, 05:08
no, you can buy music with any version from 4.7 onwards. i'm using 5 at the moment.

mikerob
2005-12-06, 05:24
Thanks for the tip re JHymn, though the website says it doesn't work with music purchased using iTunes 6.0 onwards (and you now have to use 6.0 to buy stuff)

If you have already bought music using iTunes 6 then iTMS won't let you buy music with an earlier version of iTunes.

However you can set up a new iTunes account (and all the details can be the same except for the userid), buy music using iTunes 5 or earlier, then use JHymn.

oktup
2005-12-08, 07:04
If you have already bought music using iTunes 6 then iTMS won't let you buy music with an earlier version of iTunes.

However you can set up a new iTunes account (and all the details can be the same except for the userid), buy music using iTunes 5 or earlier, then use JHymn.

Not for this reason, as it happens, but: is there anywhere that older versions of iTunes can be found? Presumably I can rule apple.com out for starters...

thanks