PDA

View Full Version : Simple question

Bruce S.
2005-12-04, 19:09
Hey!!

I like this forum. Ya' wanna' know why? It is because there is good and quick feedback/answers to question. Thanks!!

So here is a real easy question. Do you guys rip CDs while you are listening to CDs on your squeezebox? You can see the obvious thrust here - i.e. any problems with your PCs keeping up with all that disk IO?

snarlydwarf
2005-12-04, 19:40
Hey!!

I like this forum. Ya' wanna' know why? It is because there is good and quick feedback/answers to question. Thanks!!

So here is a real easy question. Do you guys rip CDs while you are listening to CDs on your squeezebox? You can see the obvious thrust here - i.e. any problems with your PCs keeping up with all that disk IO?

I rip and listen at the same time.

It's never been an issue even on old hardware. With the SB2/3 it's really not that big of a deal -- the SB2/3 has a huge buffer so the vast majority of time the PC isn't actually doing anything. Disk I/O really only slows down scan time and 'find me a new track'-time, and that's quick enough to never be an issue.

I'd cry if I had to stop music to do anything like rip. :)

JJZolx
2005-12-04, 21:11
Yeah, I do, no problem. Disk IO generally won't be a problem in that scenario - feeding the Squeezebox takes very little. If anything, I think you'd run into CPU issues first if you're also encoding while you rip. And, of course, you may also be encoding or transcoding while streaming to the SB.