PDA

View Full Version : Problem, Can't open File

sfraser
2005-12-04, 06:42
I am runing SS 6.2.1 on XP. I am having an assue with recently added disc's in regards to opening/playing some WAV files. I am using Browse Music Folders. Oddly enough, all tracks seem to be recorded correctly (using EAC, with no errors listed)They appear to be listed correctly, but only the 1st track will play? All other trakc give me the following "Problem opening file" This is consistant with 2 SB2's, so it would appear to be a SS or EAC problem? Although, I can play all the tracks correctly via Musicmatch??? Did I twist the wrong nerd knob somewhere in EAC or SS? Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I have tried re-recording the wav's, deleting and recording and stop/start the SS service.

Thanks

Scott

Mark Lanctot
2005-12-05, 06:37
In SlimServer, did you rescan? You may also want
to use the "Clear library and rescan everything"
option.

Are the new files in the same directory, the one
where SlimServer expects them?

sfraser wrote:
> I am runing SS 6.2.1 on XP. I am having an assue
with recently added
> disc's in regards to opening/playing some WAV files.
I am using Browse
> Music Folders. Oddly enough, all tracks seem to be
recorded correctly
> (using EAC, with no errors listed)They appear to be
listed correctly,
> but only the 1st track will play? All other trakc
give me the following
> "Problem opening file" This is consistant with 2
SB2's, so it would
> appear to be a SS or EAC problem? Although, I can
play all the tracks
> correctly via Musicmatch??? Did I twist the wrong
nerd knob somewhere
> in EAC or SS? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> P.S. I have tried re-recording the wav's, deleting
and recording and
> stop/start the SS service.
>
> Thanks
>
> Scott
>
>

--

Mark Lanctot

sfraser
2005-12-05, 08:06
Thanks, I did end up doing a "delete and re-scan". I was hoping not to. My library is currently 60k songs, therefore a fresh rescan takes a few hours... Oh Well it seemed to fix the problem.

Thanks again.

Scott

dwc
2005-12-05, 11:43
Scott,
It's a known (and fixed) issue that might not be fixed in the version of Slimserver you are running.

What happens is some tracks are not written to the DB, and thus SS ends up not being able to play them. Once a directory gets messed up like this, only a rescan will clean it up.

The workaround: From now on, to make sure all the new tracks get written to the DB properly, just be sure to scroll through the entire track listing once on a newly added folder before hitting "play". (i.e. hit down arrow until you come back to the first track again.)

Scolling though each track writes that track's info to the db. You can confirm by "searching" for the new tracks or album. Once it's in the DB it will show up in a search.

-Dan

sfraser
2005-12-05, 14:15
Scott,
It's a known (and fixed) issue that might not be fixed in the version of Slimserver you are running.

What happens is some tracks are not written to the DB, and thus SS ends up not being able to play them. Once a directory gets messed up like this, only a rescan will clean it up.

The workaround: From now on, to make sure all the new tracks get written to the DB properly, just be sure to scroll through the entire track listing once on a newly added folder before hitting "play". (i.e. hit down arrow until you come back to the first track again.)

Scolling though each track writes that track's info to the db. You can confirm by "searching" for the new tracks or album. Once it's in the DB it will show up in a search.

-Dan

I am in the process of riping my entire CD collection to the SS in WAV format. Several times a week, I will grab a handfull and rip them. In a earlier version of SS you could schedule rescan's. Did they stop supporting this feature, or was it moved?

Thanks

kdf
2005-12-05, 14:37
Quoting sfraser <sfraser.1zl5nb (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> I am in the process of riping my entire CD collection to the SS in WAV
> format. Several times a week, I will grab a handfull and rip them. In a
> earlier version of SS you could schedule rescan's. Did they stop
> supporting this feature, or was it moved?
>
it is in the same place it's always been. server settings->plugins
It does a "check for new and changed" as opposed to a "wipe library" rescan.

Browse Music Folder will also pickup new files when you navigate into
that folder.

-kdf

dwc
2005-12-05, 22:43
Browse Music Folder will also pickup new files when you navigate into
that folder.

-kdf

That's where the bug was. It would only pick up on songs that "displayed" on the screen, and not all the songs in the folder. You had to scan through the list of songs to make sure they all got written to the db.
-Dan