PDA

View Full Version : WifI Troubles

ianf
2005-12-02, 15:44
I have an SB3 with a DG834,it works fine with cable and finds my Slimserver on the mac,and plays internet streams ok.
On Wifi it connects to my network Ok,but fails to find the Squeeze Network or my slimserver,it seems like it has the wrong subnet maybe,on cable it is 255.255.255.000,on wifi it is 255.255.000.000.
Or is it my router config?
Ian

ianf
2005-12-02, 15:50
The problem goes away with WPA off?
Any ideas.

JJZolx
2005-12-02, 20:43
The problem goes away with WPA off?
Any ideas.
Do you mean you've disabled all security or you switched to WEP?

Make sure your wireless router is configured to use TKIP, not AES enctryption with WPA-PSK.

Try a short, simple WPA key. You might just be screwing up when you enter the key using the Squeezebox remote. If that works, then go to a longer key.

ianf
2005-12-03, 06:21
I have switched to 64bit WEP,not WPA encryption,it all now works.
I will try your suggestion with WPA security.
The DG834G only supports TKIP.

ianf
2005-12-03, 15:02
All working with WPA,you must have a password that doesnt leave empty fields in the Squeezebox screen,i.e. 13 chars. long

JJZolx
2005-12-03, 15:23
All working with WPA,you must have a password that doesnt leave empty fields in the Squeezebox screen,i.e. 13 chars. long
Yep, trailing spaces count as characters in the password. A 13 character WPA key is pretty easy to crack, though. You might consider a WPA key closer in length to the 63 character maximum. Doesn't really have to be anything you can remember, since you can write it down and you only enter it once per wireless device. Here's a random key generator, if you're interested:

http://www.kurtm.net/wpa-pskgen/

Entering a truly random 63 character key is a royal pain, but for the added security, probably worth it. The random generator above will sometimes generate characters that can't be entered on the Squeezebox - IIRC, the colon ":" and semicolon ";" couldn't be entered. Just cut and paste the key into a text editor and change those characters to something else. I'd also change easily confused characters like '1' and lower case 'L', zero and upper case 'O'.

ianf
2005-12-04, 05:12
Many thanks for the help,now to get BBC stations to play.