PDA

View Full Version : SB3 & Wireless with Linksys wrt54gs, not working

george_k
2005-12-01, 17:45
I just can't seem to get the SB3 communicating with my pc.

I've installed the latest firmware on the router

2. My PC's network information
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

3. Screenshots of my router's setup

george_k
2005-12-01, 17:47
here are the rest of the settings, I don't really know what I've missed but I can't get it to connect. I does find my SSID though.

george_k
2005-12-01, 18:23
well I just found out my router is working, I had to bastards connect two my network ;-)

but I still can't get to sb to connect

ezkcdude
2005-12-01, 19:11
I have the same router, and just ordered an SB3, so I'd be interested if someone figures this out. Keep us posted, if you fix it.

tgoldstone
2005-12-01, 19:25
Have you tried a different channel other than 7? I had the wrt54g router and the squeezebox didn't like connecting on certain channels (neighbor interference?). Try channel 1, 6 or 11 and see if it picks up the SSID.
Also you might want to set the router to 802.11B/G mode rather than just G and see if that makes a difference.

gstan
2005-12-01, 21:21
I have the same router and installed my new SB3 yesterday. No problems as far as SB3<>Router was concerned, came up immediately after I entered the WEP key. Some probs with the NAS drive access however, but that's another topic.
Will look at your configs and try to work out if there's anything obvious to me. Good luck.
-gstan

slimCL
2005-12-01, 22:18
georgek, I am in the US and have the WRT54GS (version 1) running the latest firmware. I works flawlessly with my SB3. Connected on the first attempt. So, some questions for you

* Your WRT54GS uses 192.168.0.*. I have never seen that on a LinkSys before. My WRT54GS uses 192.168.1.*. I can't remember what the SB3 defaulted to, but you might want to make sure that you have the third octet set correctly on the SB3.

* In your advanced wireless settings, you changed the basic rate from Default to Auto. The help screen for that page says "Basic Rate: The default value is set to Default. Depending on the wireless mode you have selected, a default set of supported data rates will be selected. The default setting will ensure maximum compatibility with all devices."

* I can't remember if the SSID is case sensitive, but that may be something to look at. Mine is all lower case. I can't remember if it was possible to enter upper case on the SB3.

* I left my wireless mode as "mixed" but that shouldn't be the issue.

* I also left my channel to the default, channel 6.

* No wonder others are connecting to your network. You are broadcasting your SSID, you have encryption disabled, and you aren't filtering on MAC addresses. Granted, you may want to do this until you have your connection with the SB3 working, but as soon as you do get connected with the SB3, you need to go back and disable SSID broadcast, enable encryption (be sure to match it on the SB3), and create a MAC filter that allows only your SB3 (and your other household devices) to connect.

* You also don't have your firewall enabled. That is just plain crazy if you are connected to the Internet. You had to disable it because the default mode is enable.

george_k
2005-12-01, 22:52
slimCL & others,

Yep the 192.168.0.1 is correctly set at the router's ip. I changed it from the default.

I set all the advanced wireless settings back to default

SSID is now all lower case: hermes

Wireless mode has been set to mixed

Channel has been set to 6 (though I've tried all of em)

I had all security disabled cause I wasn't sure what was causing the issue.

I enabled WEP 64bit (simplest encryption...until I get it working)

I did all this and even brought my SB into my computer room, it's sitting next to my router so signal strength should be okay.

I downgraded back to 6.2.1, (was running 6.5.x beta yesterday's build). I completely uninstalled the server software, put a fresh copy of 6.2.1 left all settings at default except for the share names. I downgraded the firmware back to what is included with 6.2.1.

I disabled windows firewall

I'm still can't get it to connect --> "Problem: Can't connect to wireless network."

george_k
2005-12-01, 23:34
Wow, don't ask me what I did but I somehow got it to work. I ended up using channel 11 but I really don't think that's what got it to work damn hardware ghosts ;)

slimCL
2005-12-02, 06:46
Glad it's working now. Have fun with the new SB3!

mattg
2005-12-02, 07:45
I have the WRT54GS too and it took 3 or 4 tries before my SB3 was able to connect to my wireless network. I didn't change anything in the SB3's or router settings. I knew I was telling the SB3 the right stuff so it was obviously the SB3's fault. I just kept trying until the SB3 connected. There's something a bit flaky in there.

Robster
2005-12-03, 15:18
I have the WRT54GS too and it took 3 or 4 tries before my SB3 was able to connect to my wireless network. I didn't change anything in the SB3's or router settings. I knew I was telling the SB3 the right stuff so it was obviously the SB3's fault. I just kept trying until the SB3 connected. There's something a bit flaky in there.

Got mine to connect first time, also just added a WUSB54GS external network adaptor to my pc so i'm fully wireless now and no problems there either, all working sweetly. My Nintendo DS is now wi-fi too!

ezkcdude
2005-12-04, 17:27
Wow, don't ask me what I did but I somehow got it to work. I ended up using channel 11 but I really don't think that's what got it to work damn hardware ghosts ;)

Actually, my wireless wasn't working the other day on my PowerBook, then I switched from channel 6 to 5 and it worked. I think sometimes there is so much traffic nearby that interference can be a major problem, especially if you live in an apartment building like I do. I've noticed there are at least 10 other wireless signals that my computer finds.