PDA

View Full Version : What's Up with This Scan Function?

gjrhine
2005-12-01, 15:18
I have 907 songs. I blanked out the Music Folder, checked Use iTunes and hit Clear Library and Rescan Everything. Four hours of scanning later I got tired of waiting, shut down SlimServer and restarted it. Everything was there! Are you supposed to guess when it is finished? Is there a way to disregard the Still Scanning message and tell when it is done?

ceejay
2005-12-01, 16:14
I have 907 songs. I blanked out the Music Folder, checked Use iTunes and hit Clear Library and Rescan Everything. Four hours of scanning later I got tired of waiting, shut down SlimServer and restarted it. Everything was there! Are you supposed to guess when it is finished? Is there a way to disregard the Still Scanning message and tell when it is done?

You're right that its not always obvious, but you can...

- refresh the home page

- on windows, run Task Manager and watch for CPU use dropping to less than 100%

- wait till the disc stops rattling

- from the CLI, enter "rescan ?" [NB - this works but is not meant as a serious answer!!!]

Ceejay

gjrhine
2005-12-04, 11:58
It seems it takes 30-40 minutes to do a Clear Library and Rescan Everything so here is what I do now. With nothing much else running I hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and reset the priority of Slim to Above Normal. The thing takes off like a bat out of hell and is done in a minute!