PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me I'm not making a big mistake

Kyle
2005-12-01, 14:03
I ordered the SB3 earlier this week. It is on backorder and is supposed to ship out Monday. I have downloaded EAC and flac and started ripping my CDs, a process that takes MUCH longer than I expected. I am reading lots of posts about problems people are having with their SB's and complaints about the associated software programs. Now I am getting cold feet. I don't want this process to become my life. I had thought about getting a dedicated music server, but I like the small form of the SB3 (read: I think my wife will let me keep it on {not in} the bookshelf in the den), plus the price is definitely right. OTOH, maybe $1-2K is worth it to make this process quicker and easier. Is this a device for techies only? Are problems the exception or the rule? I figure I can always cancel my order before it ships.

audiofi
2005-12-01, 14:16
I would wait for the SB3 to arrive, I think it is the usually case that happy customers don't need to post on the forums, so you only hear about the problems people are having.

I sell configured servers over here in the UK as well as installing the software for customers on their own pc's and VERY rarely have any problems at all.

Ripping to FLAC shouldn't take more than 5 mins per CD, I haven't used EAC myself but I'm sure someone will help you out there. Otherwise I can send you a setup program for CDex pre-configured for ripping to FLAC.

If you don't manage to get it working, just use the 30 day returns policy to send it back, but I certainly wouldn't cancel before at least trying it.

Andrew

bernt
2005-12-01, 14:20
I ripp to flac with eac and one album takes about 5 min if the cd is ok. A copyprotected takes longer. One hour or something.

And I have never ever had any problems with SB3 or Slimserver or the wireless. :)

Just download Slimserver and use Softsqueeze to play with it.

abdomen
2005-12-01, 15:15
I ordered the SB3 earlier this week. It is on backorder and is supposed to ship out Monday. I have downloaded EAC and flac and started ripping my CDs, a process that takes MUCH longer than I expected. I am reading lots of posts about problems people are having with their SB's and complaints about the associated software programs. Now I am getting cold feet. I don't want this process to become my life. I had thought about getting a dedicated music server, but I like the small form of the SB3 (read: I think my wife will let me keep it on {not in} the bookshelf in the den), plus the price is definitely right. OTOH, maybe $1-2K is worth it to make this process quicker and easier. Is this a device for techies only? Are problems the exception or the rule? I figure I can always cancel my order before it ships.
If things go for you like they have for me, ripping your existing CDs will be a long and repetitive project, but you will not have problems and you will love your Squeezebox every day and in to ever-increasing degrees. :)

norderney
2005-12-01, 15:33
I have listened to MORE music since I got my SB1 just over 12 months ago. I have no regrets, except I wish I had bought it sooner!!

Jim
2005-12-01, 16:38
I have none, except with I had got by SlimMP3 1 month later where it would have been a SB1......and of course got my SB1 2 weeks later where it would have been a SB2...... Needless to say now the SB3 has been out for more than 1 week, I'm holding off fot the SB4 :D

snarlydwarf
2005-12-01, 16:38
I don't want this process to become my life.

I wouldn't say it's only for techies, but it really may be especially appealing to people who are techies and/or music lovers.

Will it become your life?

No more than you want it to be. The vast majority of sb users never log in here. The people who do are the people who have a problem of some sort setting it up, or the other extreme, the people who have no -real- problems, but are obsessive enough to want to make things just a tiny tiny bit better.

The advantage of a flexible piece of hardware like the Squeezebox is that you can tweak it and tune it to your hearts content if you want to. You can be very pedantic about labelling files, or you can browse the way they're stored on your pc. You can be content watching 'now playing' on your screen, or you can get the SuperDateTime plugin so that it has everything from sports to weather on the display too...

You can be as obsessive about it as you want. It is certainly a nice toy to play with, and I will confess to obsessing about my tags and whether I have cover art, but... you don't have to.

dean
2005-12-01, 16:50
On Dec 1, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Jim wrote:
> I have none, except with I had got by SlimMP3 1 month later where it
> would have been a SB1......and of course got my SB1 2 weeks later
> where
> it would have been a SB2...... Needless to say now the SB3 has
> been out
> for more than 1 week, I'm holding off fot the SB4 :D

Another strategy would be to buy the new product immediately after
announcement. That way you get the most time out of it until the
next better thing comes along. :)

Brian Ritchie
2005-12-01, 17:17
[...] I have downloaded EAC and flac and started ripping my CDs, a process that takes MUCH longer than I expected. I am reading lots of posts about problems people are having with their SB's and complaints about the associated software programs. Now I am getting cold feet. [...] Is this a device for techies only? Are problems the exception or the rule? I figure I can always cancel my order before it ships.
I'd say don't worry. Having had some worries about SlimServer before my SB3 arrived, the problems (which in any case I think were due to dodgy tags in my files) were fixed within a couple of days. I've now had my SB3 for almost a week, and am thoroughly enjoying it!

I wouldn't say Slim is just for techies. It was easier to get the SB3 working on our wireless network than just about any other device, and so far I've not had to redo the setup, even though we had a power cut earlier today while everything was running. When the power returned, I restarted the server, and was concerned that the SB3 wasn't reconnecting - until I realised that our router hadn't started up properly. Once it was restarted, the SB3 was fine. It didn't even lose the current playlist, and even remembered which track it had been playing. (Though to be honest, the playlist was reshuffled, so it didn't remember what had already been played.)

Concerning the effort of ripping: yes, it's tedious; but unless you have a very, very large CD jukebox, or the $$$ to pay someone else to rip them for you, it's inevitable (whether you stick with the SB3 or try something else). Our living-room is still full of CDs (partly because there's no room for them anywhere else!), but I cherish the ability to mix-and-match, and I don't think I've played a single CD since the SB3 arrived! Indeed, the ability to make up playlists on-the-fly was a big reason for getting an SB3. (I started out with a DSM-320, which doesn't allow this; the SB3 is just so much better in so many ways!)

My first rips were just for mp3-cds for the car, and then for my Zen portable, but I soon realised I wanted the same freedom at home. And having started that way, with fairly low bitrate rips, I'm probably going to have to re-rip quite a lot of stuff. By starting out with flac, you're on the right track!

-- Brian

Fifer
2005-12-02, 02:11
I agree with almost everything that the previous posters have said. There is some up-front work required to rip CDs (though that's true of any music server system), but that's a one time hit which you can trade off against the future time saved looking for CDs, changing CDs, taking CDs in and out of their covers and keeping your CDs organised. I found that I got into a routine with ripping and could easily do 10 or 20 in an evening without much impact on other activities.